Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Curiousity, Spring Planting plans?

Just curious what things others here may be planting. Might get some
interesting ideas!

For me, it's a combination of flowers and food things in a container garden.
(I didnt get to make the raised bed this year and am still job hunting so
not time to buy the last of the stuff for it).

The food things are easy seed lettuces and a few tomatoes, some squash
(yellow) and Bok Choy (from seed, should be a fun little trial). 2 bell
pepper plants and 2 cucumber plants later (have to get them still). Thai
basil, sage, to match the rosemary bush that didnt die in winter.

Wild flower mix along the fence, mixed with climbing morning glory.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Mar 19, 3:50*pm, "cshenk" wrote:
Just curious what things others here may be planting. *Might get some
interesting ideas!

For me, it's a combination of flowers and food things in a container garden.
(I didnt get to make the raised bed this year and am still job hunting so
not time to buy the last of the stuff for it).

The food things are easy seed lettuces and a few tomatoes, some squash
(yellow) and Bok Choy (from seed, should be a fun little trial). *2 bell
pepper plants and 2 cucumber plants later (have to get them still). *Thai
basil, sage, to match the rosemary bush that didnt die in winter.

Wild flower mix along the fence, mixed with climbing morning glory.

I have a rather large garden I share with a friend. Last year we did
about 100 corn plants, 64 tomatos (yellows didn't do that well), a
bunch of cukes but nobody had good cukes in the area, summer and
winter squash, enough beans to keep me in nightmares for another
month, leaf lettuce, cabbage and onions. This year, more onions, some
strawberries, transfer some horseradish from my garden, more green
peppers and fewer hot peppers. Will add some Kale and hopefully
reduce the number of beets.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 19, 2:50*pm, "cshenk" wrote:
Just curious what things others here may be planting. *Might get some
interesting ideas!

For me, it's a combination of flowers and food things in a container garden.
(I didnt get to make the raised bed this year and am still job hunting so
not time to buy the last of the stuff for it).

The food things are easy seed lettuces and a few tomatoes, some squash
(yellow) and Bok Choy (from seed, should be a fun little trial). *2 bell
pepper plants and 2 cucumber plants later (have to get them still). *Thai
basil, sage, to match the rosemary bush that didnt die in winter.

Wild flower mix along the fence, mixed with climbing morning glory.

I plan to cultivate some more tomatoes and cucumbers this year. Last
year's Burpee's Early Pick Hybrid VF were really good. The Burpee's
Palace King Hybrids were good too, but not what I expected. They were
a pale green and grew thick, not thin. They were tasty, though.
Maybe Burpee placed the wrong seeds in my pack. I'll plant more herbs
this year, too. Fresh basil and oregano for tomato sauce from fresh
tomatoes.

I kept an eye on the tomato and cucumber transplants for a few weeks
until it was warm enough outdoors to plant them.

There is planting soil from last year. I might just add some more
Plant Tone organic fertilizer to it this year.

I will plant 2 or three of the tomatoes and cucumbers. Last year, one
of the cucumber plants died quickly. It's good to have a few extra.

I will avoid using thin bamboo sticks. Too weak, especially when
plants get drenched with rain. Thick plastic poles will do.

I've been composting for a few months now. The soil should have
adequate nutrients in it by spring.

Maybe I'll add cabbage and lettuce this year.

Good luck with your gardening.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 15:50:02 -0400, "cshenk" wrote:

Just curious what things others here may be planting. Might get some
interesting ideas!

I'm in the Mojave Desert now, so I haven't raised a garden in years.
Extended days of 110F + makes it difficult.

I like the concept of the "hanging tomato plants". Instead of buying
the infomercial kit, I plan to try the idea with a 3 - 5 gallon
bucket. I can hang one or two around the patio.

I have a pack of Bush Bean seeds I plan to put in a container on the
patio.

Good Luck!

Posted to alt.home.repair

cshenk wrote:
Just curious what things others here may be planting. Might get some
interesting ideas!

For me, it's a combination of flowers and food things in a container garden.
(I didnt get to make the raised bed this year and am still job hunting so
not time to buy the last of the stuff for it).

The food things are easy seed lettuces and a few tomatoes, some squash
(yellow) and Bok Choy (from seed, should be a fun little trial). 2 bell
pepper plants and 2 cucumber plants later (have to get them still). Thai
basil, sage, to match the rosemary bush that didnt die in winter.

Wild flower mix along the fence, mixed with climbing morning glory.

I just planted a new bouganvillea in a pot on patio..never have had one
before. Recently harvested my first large batch of basil to make some
pesto .. yum! We live in a condo, so can't have a garden or plant in
yard. Fortunately, there are two patios, with room for pots. Got a
little lemon tree that is just now finished blooming and getting tiny
lemons. A work buddy recently sent home a bag of lemons, dropped from
the tree in his yard. Made a gallon of lemonade concentrate! Nothing
better. The lawn people bring us their extra avocados which fell from a
very large tree. More eating than planting going on here )

During the oil embargo, late '70s, my employer used a large plot of
empty ground to turn into employee gardens. They installed sprinklers,
fence, shed, plotted three sizes of gardens. Built shed and bought
several tillers. Employees signed up for garden plots and volunteered
to open/close each day. Great fun, good eats, saved money.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cshenk" wrote:
Just curious what things others here may be planting. Might get some
interesting ideas!

For me, it's a combination of flowers and food things in a container
garden. (I didnt get to make the raised bed this year and am still job
hunting so not time to buy the last of the stuff for it).

The food things are easy seed lettuces and a few tomatoes, some squash
(yellow) and Bok Choy (from seed, should be a fun little trial). 2 bell
pepper plants and 2 cucumber plants later (have to get them still). Thai
basil, sage, to match the rosemary bush that didnt die in winter.

Wild flower mix along the fence, mixed with climbing morning glory.

A few flowers out front, considering a couple of hanging arrangements this
year, veggies in a bed out back. Thinking about a seperate bed for some
strawberries, too....

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 15:50:02 -0400, "cshenk" wrote:

Just curious what things others here may be planting. Might get some
interesting ideas!

For me, it's a combination of flowers and food things in a container garden.
(I didnt get to make the raised bed this year and am still job hunting so
not time to buy the last of the stuff for it).

The food things are easy seed lettuces and a few tomatoes, some squash
(yellow) and Bok Choy (from seed, should be a fun little trial). 2 bell
pepper plants and 2 cucumber plants later (have to get them still). Thai
basil, sage, to match the rosemary bush that didnt die in winter.

Wild flower mix along the fence, mixed with climbing morning glory.

Already planted a 12 foot mounted row of strawberries. Preparing the
soil, but there could be another frost yet (down to 33 degrees
tonight). Will be planting potatoes, tomatoes, bush beans, zuchinni,
various peppers, cucumbers, coleus, wandering Jew, and some annual
flowers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 19, 2:50*pm, "cshenk" wrote:
Just curious what things others here may be planting. *Might get some
interesting ideas!

For me, it's a combination of flowers and food things in a container garden.
(I didnt get to make the raised bed this year and am still job hunting so
not time to buy the last of the stuff for it).

The food things are easy seed lettuces and a few tomatoes, some squash
(yellow) and Bok Choy (from seed, should be a fun little trial). *2 bell
pepper plants and 2 cucumber plants later (have to get them still). *Thai
basil, sage, to match the rosemary bush that didnt die in winter.

Wild flower mix along the fence, mixed with climbing morning glory.

I planted about 4 tons of rocks last year and they have wintered over
well. Plan on adding a couple of more tons this year to build on my
success.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 15:54:09 -0700 (PDT), BobR wrote:

I planted about 4 tons of rocks last year and they have wintered over
well. Plan on adding a couple of more tons this year to build on my
success.

I put in 11 tons of rock at once. The job is over!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 19, 7:06*pm, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 15:54:09 -0700 (PDT), BobR *wrote:
I planted about 4 tons of rocks last year and they have wintered over
well. *Plan on adding a couple of more tons this year to build on my
success.

I put in 11 tons of rock at once. The job is over!

Quit bragging, Did you kill any in the process? BG

I laugh at that since I personally have never killed them but did get
some of the moss rock to grow a healthy supply of moss at my former
residence.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote
cshenk wrote:

Just curious what things others here may be planting. Might get some
interesting ideas!

I just planted a new bouganvillea in a pot on patio..never have had one
before. Recently harvested my first large batch of basil to make some
pesto .. yum! We live in a condo, so can't have a garden or plant in
yard. Fortunately, there are two patios, with room for pots. Got a

Ah! Container gardening! There's much you can do with that. Things you
may not have thought about.

Oren, you may want to note some of this too as in your area (Mojave desert)
there isnt much else you really can do.

One of the easiest is seed lettuce. No need to get seedlings as these
sprout really easy. There are several types so try a few. Those longish
plastic containers with drain holes (Oren, plug them in your area) that are
from 6-8 inches deep and about as wide, varies from 3-6ft long, work just
perfect. You can get fancy wood ones but be careful the wood isnt PT (IE:
you want food grade woods and if unsure just go plastic). I never buy
lettuce from April to late October. I'll crop several batches a year in
containers instead for 99cents a seed packet. I keep 2 containers for
lettuce and rotate the seeding time so when one is ready to bolt and be
replanted, the other is perfect for eating.

Like green onions? Next time you get a bunch from the store, plant the bulb
part leaving about 2-3 inches of the green tops. They will recrop in about
4 weeks. With minimal care, they will come up for several years too.
Chives work the same. I have a green onion and chive plot still growing
from 9 years ago that survived the renters.

Tomatoes like containers too, be sure to get a cage (re-usable year after
year). You'll need to use a little tomato fertilizer in a container,
especially if you just reuse the same soil like I do.

Rosemary, I found is very very easy. In fact, I have a bush that survived
the winter here.

I found that the bell pepper plant wanted to give me bell peppers still in
October. Just one plant, so this year i think I put in more but that one
was almost enough for all our needs.

Chile peppers, if into that, are very easy as well in containers.

The main trick to container gardening (having lived 21 years in apartments
with no other options) is to water well in the morning then again at
evening. I also line the bottoms with old blue jeans or towels so the dirt
doesnt leach out on my patio. It also helps with water retention.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:

I'm in the Mojave Desert now, so I haven't raised a garden in years.
Extended days of 110F + makes it difficult.

Hehehe added bits of reply to you in Normin's message. Yes, we get
seriously HOT here too, though seldom 110F. I had to deal with that in
Sasebo though. The weather station is across a mountain ridge from the base
side where I was and 10-15 degrees cooler in summer so a look up wont show
the temps.

I was at sea so often, most out door container plants died due to not
getting watered twice a day.

I like the concept of the "hanging tomato plants". Instead of buying
the infomercial kit, I plan to try the idea with a 3 - 5 gallon
bucket. I can hang one or two around the patio.

That will work! I've seen home plans for them too. There's another way to
do if it looks don't bother you too much. It involves aquarium tubing and a
few plastic milk jugs (well rinsed). I did that once. Used a spare
aquarium 'airation stone' at the tip of the tubes then put the jugs up a bit
high with the hose leading out at the bottom (duct taped I think) and it
made for a slow drip. Probably many other ways to do it too.

For your bucket, you want the plants to grow down right? You'll need
something to seal around where the plant comes out which I assume will be a
hole in the bottom of the bucket? I think old leftover nylon stockings with
runs in them might be just the ticket there. If you dont have a wife with
such, I bet you have some friends who do! Just ask'em to save the next few
sets.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pat" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:

I have a rather large garden I share with a friend. Last year we did
about 100 corn plants, 64 tomatos (yellows didn't do that well), a
bunch of cukes but nobody had good cukes in the area, summer and
winter squash, enough beans to keep me in nightmares for another
month, leaf lettuce, cabbage and onions. This year, more onions, some
strawberries, transfer some horseradish from my garden, more green
peppers and fewer hot peppers. Will add some Kale and hopefully
reduce the number of beets.

Oh that would be neat! I dont have so much area here, just a normal city
lot with a house on it. I'm over run by tomatoes if all 6 plants crop well
for our home use. Last year i froze them after washing which worked nicely.
Had a few frozen ones whenever I needed them all winter long. (the skins
come right off on defrosting and the texture is like a stewed tomato which
worked well for my cooking needs).

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ray" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:

Just curious what things others here may be planting. Might get some
interesting ideas!

I plan to cultivate some more tomatoes and cucumbers this year. Last

I cant believe how many cucumbers I got out of just 6 plants last year!
WOW!

I'll plant more herbs
this year, too. Fresh basil and oregano for tomato sauce from fresh
tomatoes.

I'm not much into oregano so it's the one I skipped.

I will avoid using thin bamboo sticks. Too weak, especially when
plants get drenched with rain. Thick plastic poles will do.

I'm getting cages this time. The poles just didnt work. I had almost
ground growing tomatoes ;-)

Maybe I'll add cabbage and lettuce this year.

Lettuce is really easy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 18:14:59 -0400, Phisherman
wrote:

Will be planting potatoes

I have worked on a potato farm as a young teen.

Something I read years ago, in a limited space - was to stack a few
old car tires on top of each other. Fill them with dirt and then plant
the potato eyes in the soil. As you harvest the spuds you can remove
one tire at a time. I never tried this, but it makes sense to me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 14:28:12 -0400, "cshenk" wrote:

I will avoid using thin bamboo sticks. Too weak, especially when
plants get drenched with rain. Thick plastic poles will do.

I'm getting cages this time. The poles just didnt work. I had almost
ground growing tomatoes ;-)

My last favorite tomato garden, allowed me to give fruit away to
several neighbors.

I put several 2x4x12 and sunk them in the ground by using post hole
diggers. The 2x4 was about ten feet above ground and supported all the
weight. The plants were estimated 14 feet at the droopy end to root.

1 lb. each for one variety, Cherries were as big as a Silver Dollars
sigh

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cshenk" wrote

Just curious what things others here may be planting. Might get some
interesting ideas!

For me, it's a combination of flowers and food things in a container
garden. (I didnt get to make the raised bed this year and am still job
hunting so not time to buy the last of the stuff for it).

I thought I'd add some more here since the plans shifted just a little bit.
First off, got a good job (yayyy!). I did some research since an earlier
thread on building a long container where I want it (almost flush to the
house, 6 inches away) and decided that is not such a good idea. It would
have been heavy enough, it may have caused damage or sunk down too much to
be stable. Also, we ran into code issues and would need to footer the house
out under it or rip it out before selling.

So, plan 2. Don's going to use the PT wood to build me a long 1ft or so
tall 'table' which we will put the legs of, on cinderblock just set on the
grass. This will support several terra cotta looking plastic deep
containers (almost tree sized) filled with potting soil to create a 'raised
garden' of about 2ft wide, and 36FT long, in 8ft sections. We have most of
the soil already and I think we have enough wood.

Planted now in containers (not raised, just set on a low riser like the
other will be but a mere 4 inches high) is a started garden. 9 tomato
plants, 9 green bell peppers, 2 strawberries (relocated the catnip to a
hanging basket), 1 container with butter lettuce, and one with a solitary
cucumber seedling. An empty one ready for carrots (deep, about 2 ft) and a
plan to get 3 more 'deep' ones for later on the riser, with radishes and
more summer squash.

Curiousity - Bathroom Fans the_constructor UK diy 18 March 1st 08 06:34 AM
Curiousity - Bathroom Fans Donwill UK diy 3 February 28th 08 11:06 AM
Slightly off topic; My curiousity about this group and archery marc rosen Woodworking 7 March 15th 06 03:48 AM
RAISED PLANTING BED J T Woodworking 0 January 9th 05 09:33 PM
I wanna get a jump on planting grass this spring.... G. Filicetti Home Repair 2 April 4th 04 08:11 PM