Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Curiousity, Spring Planting plans?

"Oren" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:

I'm in the Mojave Desert now, so I haven't raised a garden in years.
Extended days of 110F + makes it difficult.

Hehehe added bits of reply to you in Normin's message. Yes, we get
seriously HOT here too, though seldom 110F. I had to deal with that in
Sasebo though. The weather station is across a mountain ridge from the base
side where I was and 10-15 degrees cooler in summer so a look up wont show
the temps.

I was at sea so often, most out door container plants died due to not
getting watered twice a day.

I like the concept of the "hanging tomato plants". Instead of buying
the infomercial kit, I plan to try the idea with a 3 - 5 gallon
bucket. I can hang one or two around the patio.

That will work! I've seen home plans for them too. There's another way to
do if it looks don't bother you too much. It involves aquarium tubing and a
few plastic milk jugs (well rinsed). I did that once. Used a spare
aquarium 'airation stone' at the tip of the tubes then put the jugs up a bit
high with the hose leading out at the bottom (duct taped I think) and it
made for a slow drip. Probably many other ways to do it too.

For your bucket, you want the plants to grow down right? You'll need
something to seal around where the plant comes out which I assume will be a
hole in the bottom of the bucket? I think old leftover nylon stockings with
runs in them might be just the ticket there. If you dont have a wife with
such, I bet you have some friends who do! Just ask'em to save the next few
sets.