Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Curiousity, Spring Planting plans?

"cshenk" wrote

Just curious what things others here may be planting. Might get some
interesting ideas!

For me, it's a combination of flowers and food things in a container
garden. (I didnt get to make the raised bed this year and am still job
hunting so not time to buy the last of the stuff for it).

I thought I'd add some more here since the plans shifted just a little bit.
First off, got a good job (yayyy!). I did some research since an earlier
thread on building a long container where I want it (almost flush to the
house, 6 inches away) and decided that is not such a good idea. It would
have been heavy enough, it may have caused damage or sunk down too much to
be stable. Also, we ran into code issues and would need to footer the house
out under it or rip it out before selling.

So, plan 2. Don's going to use the PT wood to build me a long 1ft or so
tall 'table' which we will put the legs of, on cinderblock just set on the
grass. This will support several terra cotta looking plastic deep
containers (almost tree sized) filled with potting soil to create a 'raised
garden' of about 2ft wide, and 36FT long, in 8ft sections. We have most of
the soil already and I think we have enough wood.

Planted now in containers (not raised, just set on a low riser like the
other will be but a mere 4 inches high) is a started garden. 9 tomato
plants, 9 green bell peppers, 2 strawberries (relocated the catnip to a
hanging basket), 1 container with butter lettuce, and one with a solitary
cucumber seedling. An empty one ready for carrots (deep, about 2 ft) and a
plan to get 3 more 'deep' ones for later on the riser, with radishes and
more summer squash.