Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ceiling Medalion

I just had a ceiling medalion installed.

It looks great, except one side has a tiny gap.

What is the best way to "snug" this up against the ceiling?

Would super glue work? I thought about double-backed tape, but
imagine that would still leave a gap. Not only that, when the weather
gets hot it will probably get dry and let go.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks Group.

Kate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/1/2009 11:03 PM Kate spake thus:

I just had a ceiling medalion installed.

It looks great, except one side has a tiny gap.

What is the best way to "snug" this up against the ceiling?

Would super glue work? I thought about double-backed tape, but
imagine that would still leave a gap. Not only that, when the weather
gets hot it will probably get dry and let go.

Two possibilities, depending on the nature of the gap (hard to tell from
your description and without pictures):

1. If the medallion is flexible or moveable, you *might* be able to glue
it, as you proposed, but this is unlikely to work. Don't try super glue:
not made for this kind of repair, and won't hold. (Likely to glue your
fingers to something, though.) The problem is holding the medallion
tight against the ceiling: tape might work, but probably not.

2. More likely is that you'll need to work a little bit of filler into
the gap, then clean it up, then possibly touch up the paint next to it.
I'd probably use drywall "mud" (similar to Spackle) since I have a lot
of it; you could also use painter's putty, caulk, whatever you have
around. Work it in with your finger, then clean up with a damp rag.

If the gap really is tiny (1/16" or less), it'll disappear right quick.

--
Any system of knowledge that is capable of listing films in order
of use of the word "****" is incapable of writing a good summary

- Matthew White, referring to Wikipedia on his WikiWatch site
(http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote in message
I just had a ceiling medalion installed.

It looks great, except one side has a tiny gap.

What is the best way to "snug" this up against the ceiling?

Would super glue work? I thought about double-backed tape, but
imagine that would still leave a gap. Not only that, when the weather
gets hot it will probably get dry and let go.

*Whenever I put those things up I always use generous amounts of the
recommended adhesive and shoot in a few drywall screws as well. Despite
that effort there are always gaps. The best thing to fill the gaps is
paintable caulk.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
I just had a ceiling medalion installed.

It looks great, except one side has a tiny gap.

What is the best way to "snug" this up against the ceiling?

Would super glue work? I thought about double-backed tape, but
imagine that would still leave a gap. Not only that, when the weather
gets hot it will probably get dry and let go.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks Group.

Kate

I assume "a tiny gap" is about 1/16-1/8"? The normal procedure would be
to use paintable caulk to fill the gap, let that cure and paint over as
for the rest of the ceiling. How is the medallion held in place?

FWIW, a basic "how to" book for homeowners would be a good investment.
It helps save money to know in advance what steps should be taken for
remodeling or repairing. You may also find "how to" brochures where
they sell caulk. There are zillions of kinds of caulk and what you
should look for is for interior, paintable, nothing fancy. Water clean-up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
Genius idea. I am good with putty - LOL. This is ideal.

Putty is not a good choice - if you get the oily kind, you may not be
able to paint it. I assume you followed installation instructions when
you put the medallion in place?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 2, 1:03*am, Kate wrote:
I just had a ceiling medalion installed.

It looks great, except one side has a tiny gap.

snip

Your installer owes you one . You have rights. Call him back and give
him a lecture on good workmanship. His next client might benefit, too.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
I just had a ceiling medalion installed.

It looks great, except one side has a tiny gap.

What is the best way to "snug" this up against the ceiling?

Would super glue work? I thought about double-backed tape, but
imagine that would still leave a gap. Not only that, when the weather
gets hot it will probably get dry and let go.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks Group.

Kate

Hi,
When I did it out at my cabin dining room, I ratated it bit by bit to
find a best fit and sanding(shaving) to minimize the things like you
describe. Then I permanently fixed it. Looks great.
Posted to alt.home.repair

My boyfriend installed it, and after the fact, I read that it should be
caulked first. We hung a chandelier. The best bet would probably be to
take it down and start over. Sigh!

Thanks.

wrote:
Kate wrote:
Genius idea. I am good with putty - LOL. This is ideal.

Putty is not a good choice - if you get the oily kind, you may not be
able to paint it. I assume you followed installation instructions when
you put the medallion in place?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

wrote:
Kate wrote:
Genius idea. *I am good with putty - LOL. *This is ideal.

Putty is not a good choice - if you get the oily kind, you may not be
able to paint it. *I assume you followed installation instructions when
you put the medallion in place?

Start over again with the chandelier or the boyfriend?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Mar 2, 2:03*am, Kate wrote:
I just had a ceiling medalion installed.

It looks great, except one side has a tiny gap.

What is the best way to "snug" this up against the ceiling?

Would super glue work? *I thought about double-backed tape, but
imagine that would still leave a gap. *Not only that, when the weather
gets hot it will probably get dry and let go.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks Group.

Kate

Having read that "one side has a tiny gap" leaves me wondering what
that means. If the gap starts small and gradually gets bigger and then
gets smaller again, it is likely that it just wasn't tightened up
enough. If there is a small gap in one small area, then it probably
isn't the medallion that is the culprit but rather the ceiling isn't
flat. You should first determine what the problem is. If it's too
loose, tighten it. If it's a ceiling problem, then use painter's
caulk. If it was tightened snuggly and "sagged" after the chandelier
went up, then you might have a box that's loose and that's something
you're probably not prepared to handle (so use caulk).

Good luck with it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote in message
I just got a ladder up there, and I think the gap is bigger than that.

I will probably use caulk if I can get it up in their neatly.
Any ideas how I can hold the medallion up until the caulk dries?

The medallion is held in place just by a light fixture cap.

Thank you.

*Every medallion that I have installed recommended a specific adhesive to
use although it takes a while for it to grab. I have used support poles to
keep it up there for an hour or so with a piece of wood so that every part
of the medallion surface has pressure applied to it. No good. The best
thing is the recommended adhesive and some drywall screws that are driven
close to the ornate areas. A little dap of white paintable caulk makes the
screws invisible from down below. Apply a bead of paintable caulk all
around and smooth with a wet finger.

wrote:
Kate wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 2, 1:00*pm, Kate wrote:
I guess I will have to read my installer the riot act. *LOL
Both of us should have known better. *Thanks.

snip

Dinner at La Brasserie or equivalent should be sufficient penance. To
add romance, order a nice old Chateau LaFitte Rothschild (sp. don't
have a bottle handy) and stroll hand in hand through Home depot. Or
order in pizza...your call. Cheers,

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

We knew it had a tiny gap before we finished the job.
It was tightened alot. I have a feeling it is an uneven ceiling.
As I wrote before I saw this email, I have caulked it with the right
stuff, and hope it drys and stays up there.

So, far so good.

Many thanks for your time. This group is wonderful.

Kate

Pat wrote:
On Mar 2, 2:03 am, Kate wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
I just inserted caulk and have it taped to the ceiling to dry.
It looks great, but time will tell. I hope it holds.

Do you know approximate weight? If not heavy, caulk will probably hold
just fine.
Thanks.

wrote:
Kate wrote:
Genius idea. I am good with putty - LOL. This is ideal.
Putty is not a good choice - if you get the oily kind, you may not be
able to paint it. I assume you followed installation instructions when
you put the medallion in place?

Start over again with the chandelier or the boyfriend?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote in message

Won't the screws crack the medallion?

*If the medallion is one of those lightweight foam center models a drywall
screw will go right through it without any problem. If it is a plaster type
I would suggest predrilling some holes with a small masonry bit. The
drywall screws on the foam models don't need to actually be screwed into
wood to pull it up to the ceiling. Just drilling into the drywall without
over doing it will suffice. The plaster models should be screwed into
something solid.

wrote:
Kate wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 20:15:14 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Kate wrote:

Hi,
Would appreciated if you don't top post.
It is a hassle scrolling up/down to read the thread.

Yes! Even moving down/up gets confusing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mine is plastic. Very light weight too. I am going to have my friend
use a very thin screw and screw it onto the ceiling. There won't be a
stud, but it should work.

The caulk has held today, but I am afraid with the hot weather we get
here that it could crack, and let go, so hopefully the screws will work.

Does this sound OK?

Thanks.

wrote:
Kate wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Kate wrote:

Hi,
Would appreciated if you don't top post.
It is a hassle scrolling up/down to read the thread.

Yes! Even moving down/up gets confusing.

Sweets I don't know using your NNTP reader:

"Thunderbird 2.0.0.19 (Windows/20081209)"

When you reply, there might be an option to quote text.

Check tools, format, or a reply option?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Kate wrote:

Hi,
Would appreciated if you don't top post.
It is a hassle scrolling up/down to read the thread.

Yes! Even moving down/up gets confusing.

Just scroll down to the bottom, then type there.

Topposting is a recurring problem. The convention for Usenet has always
been to post at the bottom of the message. This is so the thousands of
other readers, who don't come in until late in the discussion, can
still figure out how the conversation went. (You do know that you're
broadcasting in the clear, don't you?)

When e-mail systems became more widespread, they defaulted to adding
your reply at the top. That doesn't really matter when there are only
two people who will ever see the messages, but it convinced lots of new
Usenet users that Usenet should be like e-mail. They get very nasty
about it sometimes. I blame Microsoft--everything else is their fault,
right? ;-)

If some people type at the top, and other people type at the bottom,
third parties will never be able to figure out who said what in what
order. You can try to read the old messages, but my frequent experience
is that the oldest message still on the server is the one that's messed
up.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Kate wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the great explanation. I hope it works this time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveBell wrote:

[...]

You're doing great. Good luck with your medallion.

By the way, you fixed it the same way I would have done it. If it's
sitting still, the caulk will work just fine. The caulk _will_ shrink
over time, but that's _years_ in the future. Just fix it with a little
more caulk, unless the old stuff is falling out.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ceiling Medallion

SteveBell wrote:
SteveBell wrote:
[...]

OK, I always love to learn new things. Thanks everyone for all of your
help on my medallion, and how to reply properly in newsgroups.

Hopefully,I won't be bothering you any time soon.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
Could you please tell me how not to do this? I don't post on newsgroups
a lot, and not that savvy.

Thanks.

After you hit the reply button, just put your cursor where you want to
begin typing...hit "enter" a couple of times for line space and you are
ready to go...

Top or bottom isn't that tough .. just look at what Kate said, then look
at who she is replying to..........does it really matter?

wrote:

Kate wrote:

Hi,
Would appreciated if you don't top post.
It is a hassle scrolling up/down to read the thread.

Moving one finger over a mouse wheel is exhausting. Whew!

Yes! Even moving down/up gets confusing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:

SteveBell wrote:
SteveBell wrote:
[...]

Caulk is great for hanging stuff on the wall that you don't plan to
remove....children's art stuff, like their first school ceramics project
(my most valuable possessions )

If the medallion is foam, it will probably stick forever. May have to
tear up the ceiling and the medallion if you want to remove it, but,
then, it will be a good excuse to redecorate )
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Kate wrote:
[...]

*I'm not sure what you mean by thin screw. You would want something with a
big enough head on it so that it doesn't slip through the surface plastic.
The inside is foam so there is not much holding power there. The drywall
screws work well because the head is perfect for applying some pressure
without penetrating the surface plastic and the threads grab the drywall
well enough to pull the medallion tight. It is very important to not
overtighten the screws. If you overdo it the threads will not hold well in
the drywall and you don't want the screw head to penetrate beyond the
surface of the medallion. I always screw near the ornate part of the
medallion so the screw head will blend in after it is coated with a little
dap of caulk.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Kate wrote:
[...]

This medallion is made of plastic, with no insulation at all. You bring
up a very good point. But, now I am concerned that the screw may crack
the medallion as it is hollow inside. We plan to pre-drill. I will
get drywall screws. Thanks for all of your help.

*Kate I never saw a hollow medallion so I cannot give you the benefit of my
personal experience. It is possible that screwing it may indeed have a
detrimental effect. With the foam filled models the screws bring it up
closer to the ceiling all around to minimize the gap. Some manufacturers
have even enclosed drywall screws with their medallions. If you are
satisfied with the results by just caulking then I would leave it alone.
Wait and see what effect age and heat may have on it if any. You could try
and contact the manufacturer for their advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Kate wrote:
[...]

nothing fancy. *Water clean-up.- Hide quoted text -

It depends on what the medalion is made. I think you can get them made
of plaster, foam, rubber, plastic. I had a freind that got rich
plaster doing restorations. One of his specialties was plaster
medalions.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Forget screws! All they'll do is dimple, crack or otherwise deform the
poor thing. Don't know why anyone even suggested them (they may have
been thinking that this was a heavyweight piece of plaster, wood, etc.).

The caulk will hold just fine. Think about it: there's practically no
weight there, so no need to be concerned about the gap opening. And the
gap is no doubt due to an uneven ceiling as you surmised, which is not
uncommon.

It is a done deal. It is so light that I left it as it, thanks. It looks good too.

Hope I trimmed this correctly.

Mount new ceiling fan at peak of cathedral ceiling Toddddddd Home Repair 3 May 17th 08 11:41 PM
Two adjacent ceiling lights. Need two ceiling boxes? fourrings Home Repair 11 November 14th 07 02:15 PM
Sheetrock ceiling vs. drop ceiling tiles bluerock1 Home Repair 4 November 8th 06 05:10 AM
Old Ceiling Fan/Light gone with two wires coming from the ceiling CJ Home Repair 2 April 19th 06 03:22 PM
Vaulted Ceiling--Installing Ceiling Fans Dave Combs Home Repair 0 July 31st 05 02:24 AM