Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mount new ceiling fan at peak of cathedral ceiling

I want to add a ceiling fan it the peak where the two ceiling planes meet, about
14 feet from the floor.

My tentative plan is to screw a 6" square peice of of 2x6 into the roof truss at
the center. Then trim it in nicely and mount the can for the fan mount.
(There is another truss system (roof) above the ceiling truss system that allows
access for wiring)

Anyone else have a good/better idea?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Toddddddd wrote:

I want to add a ceiling fan it the peak where the two ceiling planes meet,
about 14 feet from the floor.

My tentative plan is to screw a 6" square peice of of 2x6 into the roof
truss at the center. Then trim it in nicely and mount the can for the fan
mount. (There is another truss system (roof) above the ceiling truss
system that allows access for wiring)

Anyone else have a good/better idea?

Sounds like a good idea. As long as your mounting into a firm surface. You
are going to use a long down rod, right? How are you going to get wire up
there? Or is it already there? Is the can going to be cut into the 2x6 or
mounted on the outside of it? Check and see if the trim piece will cover
the can if mounted directly to 2x.

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Toddddddd" wrote in message
I want to add a ceiling fan it the peak where the two ceiling planes meet,
about
14 feet from the floor.

My tentative plan is to screw a 6" square peice of of 2x6 into the roof
truss at
the center. Then trim it in nicely and mount the can for the fan mount.
(There is another truss system (roof) above the ceiling truss system that
allows
access for wiring)

Anyone else have a good/better idea?

Something along those lines is what I always see in this type of room.

As long as you can get the wire to it, use a fan rated box and securely
attach it to the joist without cutting the joist, I see no problems with
your plans.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Toddddddd" wrote in message
I want to add a ceiling fan it the peak where the two ceiling planes meet,
about
14 feet from the floor.

My tentative plan is to screw a 6" square peice of of 2x6 into the roof
truss at
the center. Then trim it in nicely and mount the can for the fan mount.
(There is another truss system (roof) above the ceiling truss system that
allows
access for wiring)

Anyone else have a good/better idea?

Sounds okay. Arlington does make cathedral ceiling fan boxes. Perhaps one
of them may be useful: http://www.aifittings.com/n_4.htm