Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ceiling Medalion

*Kate I never saw a hollow medallion so I cannot give you the benefit of
my personal experience. It is possible that screwing it may indeed have
a detrimental effect. With the foam filled models the screws bring it
up closer to the ceiling all around to minimize the gap. Some
manufacturers have even enclosed drywall screws with their medallions.
If you are satisfied with the results by just caulking then I would
leave it alone. Wait and see what effect age and heat may have on it if
any. You could try and contact the manufacturer for their advice.

I am leaving it as is. It looks good. Many, many thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/3/2009 4:28 PM Kate spake thus:

Forget screws! All they'll do is dimple, crack or otherwise deform the
poor thing. Don't know why anyone even suggested them (they may have
been thinking that this was a heavyweight piece of plaster, wood, etc.).

The caulk will hold just fine. Think about it: there's practically no
weight there, so no need to be concerned about the gap opening. And the
gap is no doubt due to an uneven ceiling as you surmised, which is not
uncommon.

It is a done deal. It is so light that I left it as it, thanks. It looks good too.

Hope I trimmed this correctly.

Well, sorta, sorta not.

Notice that your answer ("It is a done deal", etc.) came out as part of
*my" quoted text; you apparently started typing immediately after my
reply that you were responding to, so your reply got mixed up with what
you were replying to (does that make sense?)

Best thing is to make sure you have at least one blank line between the
text you're replying to and your reply. That way the poor little
newsreader (your Thunderbird program) won't get all confused.

--
Any system of knowledge that is capable of listing films in order
of use of the word "****" is incapable of writing a good summary

- Matthew White, referring to Wikipedia on his WikiWatch site
(http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Best thing is to make sure you have at least one blank line between the
text you're replying to and your reply. That way the poor little
newsreader (your Thunderbird program) won't get all confused.

OK, see if this works. Do I need to cut and paste, or is this OK?

David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/3/2009 5:29 PM Kate spake thus:

Best thing is to make sure you have at least one blank line between the
text you're replying to and your reply. That way the poor little
newsreader (your Thunderbird program) won't get all confused.

OK, see if this works. Do I need to cut and paste, or is this OK?

Why is this so difficult? And why would you need to cut and paste? (Yes,
your reply was OK.)

Alright, let's see if your news client (Thunderbird) is set up right.
Since you want to bottom-post, there's a setting to make that easier. In
the Tools menu, select "Account Settings...". The Account Settings
dialog will open.

Go to the "Composition & Addressing" item under the account name on the
left. In this dialog, the second item is a checkmark item,
"Automatically quote the original message when replying". This is
probably already checked, but make sure it is.

Right below it is the control that selects between top-posting, after
the word "Then,". Select "start me reply below the quote".

Now, when you reply to a message, your cursor will automatically be
positioned after the quoted text; all you need to do is start typing.
(Well, that and any judicious trimming you may want to do to the quoted
text.)

You can also reply *between* paragraphs of quoted text, like:

But she said ...

Then I told her ...

And she was going to ...

So I went over and ...

You get the idea. Just make sure that your replies are clear of the
quoted text so they don't become part of the quote (anything after one
or more "" is quoted text; the number of "" indicates the nesting
level, or how many replies back the quote was from the current posting).

Does that help?

--
Any system of knowledge that is capable of listing films in order
of use of the word "****" is incapable of writing a good summary
and analysis of the Philippine-American War. And vice-versa.
This is an inviolable rule.

- Matthew White, referring to Wikipedia on his WikiWatch site
(http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 03 Mar 2009 17:43:26 -0800, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

Why is this so difficult?

RFC 3977 ?

Formally 977.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/3/2009 6:55 PM Oren spake thus:

On Tue, 03 Mar 2009 17:43:26 -0800, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

Why is this so difficult?

RFC 3977 ?

Formally 977.

What does the NNTP protocol have to do with anything?

--
Any system of knowledge that is capable of listing films in order
of use of the word "****" is incapable of writing a good summary
and analysis of the Philippine-American War. And vice-versa.
This is an inviolable rule.

- Matthew White, referring to Wikipedia on his WikiWatch site
(http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)
Posted to alt.home.repair

*Kate I never saw a hollow medallion so I cannot give you the benefit
of my personal experience. It is possible that screwing it may
indeed have a detrimental effect. With the foam filled models the
screws bring it up closer to the ceiling all around to minimize the
gap. Some manufacturers have even enclosed drywall screws with their
medallions. If you are satisfied with the results by just caulking
then I would leave it alone. Wait and see what effect age and heat
may have on it if any. You could try and contact the manufacturer
for their advice.

I installed one of the plastic ones not long ago. It's basically a
fancy plastic picnic plate with a big hole in the middle for a ceiling
fan or light fixture. This one came with double-sided tape to hold it
to the ceiling. That worked for about 30 seconds, then fell off just as
I was raising the ceiling fan. I just tightened the fan fixture, and
all was well. There were probably some small gaps, but the client was
satisfied, so I was too. If they ever complain, I'll fix it for free.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 03 Mar 2009 20:08:21 -0800, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

What does the NNTP protocol have to do with anything?

Posting in these newsgroups? You tell me.

Standards were set for newsgroups. Some folks are not familiar.

I can be wrong, as you can relate?

It was a pointer for the lady; just, imagine.

Without NNTP you would not read this text.

(..move back to a ceiling medallion)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/3/2009 9:12 PM Oren spake thus:

wrote:

What does the NNTP protocol have to do with anything?

Posting in these newsgroups? You tell me.

Standards were set for newsgroups. Some folks are not familiar.

I can be wrong, as you can relate?

It was a pointer for the lady; just, imagine.

I think the ins and outs of the NNTP protocol are a little beyond what
the woman who asked about her medallion wants to deal with, no
disrespect to her intended. It's just a matter of learning how to steer
your news client to make nicely formatted posts, for which you need to
know *nothing* about NNTP (denks Gott!).

--
Any system of knowledge that is capable of listing films in order
of use of the word "****" is incapable of writing a good summary
and analysis of the Philippine-American War. And vice-versa.
This is an inviolable rule.

- Matthew White, referring to Wikipedia on his WikiWatch site
(http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

Whoops, I had checked the right wording, but I checked the area for
emails, and not newsgroups. This should do it. If not, I am at a loss.
The good thing is that I don't post much here. LOL
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/4/2009 12:35 AM Kate spake thus:

Kate wrote:

[...]

Does that help?

Whoops, I had checked the right wording, but I checked the area for
emails, and not newsgroups. This should do it. If not, I am at a loss.
The good thing is that I don't post much here. LOL

This one worked. By the way, I would recommend bottom-posting for both
newsgroups and for email. It just makes more sense (you read from top to
bottom, not from bottom to top, right?). It *will* make your emails
different from 90% of other's, who just use their email program "out of
the box" without bothering to even check their settings, but it will
make them more sensible.

mostly pears.
Made With Pears: Pretty good chance that pears will be detectable in
the product.
Contains Pears: One pear seed per multiple tons of product.

(with apologies to Dorothy L. Sayers)

Mount new ceiling fan at peak of cathedral ceiling Toddddddd Home Repair 3 May 17th 08 11:41 PM
Two adjacent ceiling lights. Need two ceiling boxes? fourrings Home Repair 11 November 14th 07 02:15 PM
Sheetrock ceiling vs. drop ceiling tiles bluerock1 Home Repair 4 November 8th 06 05:10 AM
Old Ceiling Fan/Light gone with two wires coming from the ceiling CJ Home Repair 2 April 19th 06 03:22 PM
Vaulted Ceiling--Installing Ceiling Fans Dave Combs Home Repair 0 July 31st 05 02:24 AM