Posted to alt.home.repair
Kate[_4_] Kate[_4_] is offline

Default Ceiling Medalion

Won't the screws crack the medallion?

John Grabowski wrote:

"Kate" wrote in message
I just got a ladder up there, and I think the gap is bigger than that.

I will probably use caulk if I can get it up in their neatly.
Any ideas how I can hold the medallion up until the caulk dries?

The medallion is held in place just by a light fixture cap.

Thank you.

*Every medallion that I have installed recommended a specific adhesive
to use although it takes a while for it to grab. I have used support
poles to keep it up there for an hour or so with a piece of wood so that
every part of the medallion surface has pressure applied to it. No
good. The best thing is the recommended adhesive and some drywall
screws that are driven close to the ornate areas. A little dap of white
paintable caulk makes the screws invisible from down below. Apply a
bead of paintable caulk all around and smooth with a wet finger.

wrote:
Kate wrote:
I just had a ceiling medalion installed.

It looks great, except one side has a tiny gap.

What is the best way to "snug" this up against the ceiling?

Would super glue work? I thought about double-backed tape, but
imagine that would still leave a gap. Not only that, when the
weather gets hot it will probably get dry and let go.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks Group.

Kate

I assume "a tiny gap" is about 1/16-1/8"? The normal procedure would
be to use paintable caulk to fill the gap, let that cure and paint
over as for the rest of the ceiling. How is the medallion held in
place?

FWIW, a basic "how to" book for homeowners would be a good
investment. It helps save money to know in advance what steps should
be taken for remodeling or repairing. You may also find "how to"
brochures where they sell caulk. There are zillions of kinds of
caulk and what you should look for is for interior, paintable,
nothing fancy. Water clean-up.