Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Default Garage Door Opener Recommendation

I came home to a door about 75% shut. When I try to open or
close the door, my very old opener shudders and grinds. I'll
take it down and look at it, but I'm pretty sure I'm in the
market for a new unit.

What's good out there?

--

Real men don't text.
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

genie

--
All you scholars who think bush messed up..... You ain't seen nothin' yet!
Just wait. You'll be cryin' for mercy after a while with Bro Bama
"Steve Daniels" wrote in message

I came home to a door about 75% shut. When I try to open or
close the door, my very old opener shudders and grinds. I'll
take it down and look at it, but I'm pretty sure I'm in the
market for a new unit.

What's good out there?

--

Real men don't text.

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 17:39:22 -0800, Steve Daniels
wrote:

I came home to a door about 75% shut. When I try to open or
close the door, my very old opener shudders and grinds. I'll
take it down and look at it, but I'm pretty sure I'm in the
market for a new unit.

What's good out there?

Go to Sears and pick up a belt drive unit.
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

wrote:

I came home to a door about 75% shut. When I try to open or
close the door, my very old opener shudders and grinds. I'll
take it down and look at it, but I'm pretty sure I'm in the
market for a new unit.

What's good out there?

I've hand great service from Genie screw drive openers. I especially
like the Genie Accelerator, it opens at twice normal speed. I've got
one that's at least 30 years old on a one piece double door.

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

On Jan 14, 5:39*pm, Steve Daniels wrote:
I came home to a door about 75% shut. *When I try to open or
close the door, my very old opener shudders and grinds. *I'll
take it down and look at it, but I'm pretty sure I'm in the
market for a new unit.

What's good out there?

Release the door from the opener arm & see it the door works easily by
hand.

But if yours is making nasty noises it might be more than a door
balancing issue.

I have good luck with Genie, Liftmaster & Sears.

The Genie & the LIftmasters were screw drive; Sears were chain drives.

I like the screw drives but I'm really not sure the realtive benefits
of each type.

cheers
Bob

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

BobK207 wrote:

On Jan 14, 5:39*pm, Steve Daniels wrote:
I came home to a door about 75% shut. *When I try to open or
close the door, my very old opener shudders and grinds. *I'll
take it down and look at it, but I'm pretty sure I'm in the
market for a new unit.

What's good out there?

Release the door from the opener arm & see it the door works easily by
hand.

But if yours is making nasty noises it might be more than a door
balancing issue.

I have good luck with Genie, Liftmaster & Sears.

The Genie & the LIftmasters were screw drive; Sears were chain drives.

I like the screw drives but I'm really not sure the realtive benefits
of each type.

cheers
Bob

I assembled and installed a HeathKit screw drive opener for my 16' wooden
door in 1972. In 1997, the phase-shift capacitor failed. I was gonna
call Heath and complain ... they disappeared. I put in a new cap. The
opener continues to work just fine. On a couple of occasions, I found
that one of the torque springs had broken some time earlier and my opener
never even noticed! Screw drive openers rock.
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Default Garage Door Opener Recommendation -- Sears vs Genie

"Ashton Crusher" wrote:

I've hand great service from Genie screw drive openers. I especially
like the Genie Accelerator, it opens at twice normal speed. I've got
one that's at least 30 years old on a one piece double door.

I bought a Sears screw drive a few years ago. Once a year, almost like
clockwork, the trolley rack (the piece that engages the screw drive) strips, and
I have to replace it. The first time Sears sent me a replacement part under
their warranty, but the second time they wanted to send a repairman out, who I
would have to pay $60+, to confirm I needed the part. So, I resigned myself to
replacing it (for about $15) once a year...

I won't buy or recommend one of these to anyone, nor would I recommend anyone
rely on Sears' warranty any more.

What are people's reliability experiences with Sears belt vs screw drive, and
Genie vs Sears screw drive?

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 19:29:07 -0800, Steve Daniels
wrote:

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 22:01:21 -0500, against all advice, something

What's good out there?

Go to Sears and pick up a belt drive unit.

It looks like the belt drive is sold to those with noise issues.

Noise isn't an issue for me. I live alone, so when the door is
moving I'm usually in the car. And if I'm not in the car, I'm in
the garage, not the bed.

Is there some other advantage to the belt drive besides how much
noise it makes when it's running?

Low cost, easy to repair, and inexpensive to repair.

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Steve Daniels wrote:

I came home to a door about 75% shut. When I try to open or
close the door, my very old opener shudders and grinds. I'll
take it down and look at it, but I'm pretty sure I'm in the
market for a new unit.

What's good out there?

Chamberlain from Costco.
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

On Jan 14, 7:39*pm, Steve Daniels wrote:
I came home to a door about 75% shut. *When I try to open or
close the door, my very old opener shudders and grinds. *I'll
take it down and look at it, but I'm pretty sure I'm in the
market for a new unit.

What's good out there?

--

Real men don't text.

Anything with a worm drive, I stay away from chain drive.

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 22:30:06 -0800 (PST), against all advice,
something compelled BobK207 , to say:

On Jan 14, 5:39*pm, Steve Daniels wrote:
I came home to a door about 75% shut. *When I try to open or
close the door, my very old opener shudders and grinds. *I'll
take it down and look at it, but I'm pretty sure I'm in the
market for a new unit.

What's good out there?

Release the door from the opener arm & see it the door works easily by
hand.

But if yours is making nasty noises it might be more than a door
balancing issue.

The door is fine. I can open and close it by hand with little
effort.

The house was built in the early seventies, and I'm sure that the
opener is original. It's time has come.

I bought a Genie HyperVelocity (sp?) screw drive, and I'll
install it this weekend. Thank you all for your input.

--

Real men don't text.
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 10:22:39 -0800, "JR Weiss"
wrote:

"Ashton Crusher" wrote:

I've hand great service from Genie screw drive openers. I especially
like the Genie Accelerator, it opens at twice normal speed. I've got
one that's at least 30 years old on a one piece double door.

I bought a Sears screw drive a few years ago. Once a year, almost like
clockwork, the trolley rack (the piece that engages the screw drive) strips, and
I have to replace it. The first time Sears sent me a replacement part under
their warranty, but the second time they wanted to send a repairman out, who I
would have to pay $60+, to confirm I needed the part. So, I resigned myself to
replacing it (for about $15) once a year...

I won't buy or recommend one of these to anyone, nor would I recommend anyone
rely on Sears' warranty any more.

What are people's reliability experiences with Sears belt vs screw drive, and
Genie vs Sears screw drive?

Of the many Genie's I've had I've only worn out one of those trolley
racks. I think it took 20 years of daily use.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Ashton Crusher" wrote:

[...]

My Genie has been working on my two-car garage door since 1992, no
problems at all with the Genie. I did have to replace the springs,
but that's not part of Genie. I buy from Sears less and less.

Garage Door Opener Won't Lower Door Fleemo Home Repair 8 October 21st 08 03:44 AM
Ceiling in garage too low for installling garage door opener [email protected] Home Ownership 6 November 26th 06 03:46 PM
overhead door garage door opener [email protected] Home Ownership 2 September 17th 06 07:30 PM
garage door opener Dave Home Repair 2 December 2nd 05 01:15 AM
Garage door opener Bill Home Repair 6 July 19th 05 06:42 PM