Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
JR Weiss[_2_] JR Weiss[_2_] is offline

Default Garage Door Opener Recommendation -- Sears vs Genie

"Ashton Crusher" wrote:

I've hand great service from Genie screw drive openers. I especially
like the Genie Accelerator, it opens at twice normal speed. I've got
one that's at least 30 years old on a one piece double door.

I bought a Sears screw drive a few years ago. Once a year, almost like
clockwork, the trolley rack (the piece that engages the screw drive) strips, and
I have to replace it. The first time Sears sent me a replacement part under
their warranty, but the second time they wanted to send a repairman out, who I
would have to pay $60+, to confirm I needed the part. So, I resigned myself to
replacing it (for about $15) once a year...

I won't buy or recommend one of these to anyone, nor would I recommend anyone
rely on Sears' warranty any more.

What are people's reliability experiences with Sears belt vs screw drive, and
Genie vs Sears screw drive?