Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
Ashton Crusher[_2_] Ashton Crusher[_2_] is offline

Default Garage Door Opener Recommendation -- Sears vs Genie

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 10:22:39 -0800, "JR Weiss"
wrote:

"Ashton Crusher" wrote:

I've hand great service from Genie screw drive openers. I especially
like the Genie Accelerator, it opens at twice normal speed. I've got
one that's at least 30 years old on a one piece double door.

I bought a Sears screw drive a few years ago. Once a year, almost like
clockwork, the trolley rack (the piece that engages the screw drive) strips, and
I have to replace it. The first time Sears sent me a replacement part under
their warranty, but the second time they wanted to send a repairman out, who I
would have to pay $60+, to confirm I needed the part. So, I resigned myself to
replacing it (for about $15) once a year...

I won't buy or recommend one of these to anyone, nor would I recommend anyone
rely on Sears' warranty any more.

What are people's reliability experiences with Sears belt vs screw drive, and
Genie vs Sears screw drive?

Of the many Genie's I've had I've only worn out one of those trolley
racks. I think it took 20 years of daily use.