Bill

Default Garage door opener

My remote garage door opener has stopped working and I can't find a way to
get into the thing.
Thought it had batteries or something to replace. There is an adjustment
slug to change frequency (I guess) that does nothing at any position.
Pushing on the actuation bar lights a LED but no other event.
There are no visible screws or devices to remove. The metal clip for hanging
on the car visor will not come off.
There are finger gripping grooves on the sides of one half of the thing but
cannot pull them apart.
It is labeled "Overhead Door" as the brand.
Suggestions for repair are welcome.
Bill

--
Bill W.

HTTP://Wielert.net

Pop

www.overheaddoor.com/ seems to be having a problem with
its web site right now, but if you do a google search
for overheaddoor you;ll find lots of dealers and
places to look for more info. I've had good luck with
our rep in this area but ymmv of course.

HTH,

Pop

"Bill" wrote in message
news
My remote garage door opener has stopped working and
I can't find a way to
get into the thing.
Thought it had batteries or something to replace.
There is an adjustment
slug to change frequency (I guess) that does nothing
at any position.
Pushing on the actuation bar lights a LED but no
other event.
There are no visible screws or devices to remove. The
metal clip for hanging
on the car visor will not come off.
There are finger gripping grooves on the sides of one
half of the thing but
cannot pull them apart.
It is labeled "Overhead Door" as the brand.
Suggestions for repair are welcome.
Bill

--
Bill W.

HTTP://Wielert.net

Joseph Meehan

Bill wrote:
My remote garage door opener has stopped working and I can't find a
way to get into the thing.
Thought it had batteries or something to replace.

I assure you it has battery(s) to replace somewhere. Take it into one
of those battery stores, I'll bet they will find it and have a new one for
you.

However it sounds like you may be having additional problems. For that
you may need your owner's manual to find out how to reprogram it to the
opener. There may be instructions on the web somewhere if you have lost
yours.

There is an
adjustment slug to change frequency (I guess) that does nothing at
any position. Pushing on the actuation bar lights a LED but no other
event.
There are no visible screws or devices to remove. The metal clip for
hanging on the car visor will not come off.
There are finger gripping grooves on the sides of one half of the
thing but cannot pull them apart.
It is labeled "Overhead Door" as the brand.
Suggestions for repair are welcome.
Bill

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

les

I'd say forget trying to tamper with it. Your best bet is to try
reprogramming
the reciever in the overhead motor controller. If it's of recent vintage,
that would make more sense and easier.
The slug is probably part of the RF tank circuit, so detuning it could
cause freq. drift and gets you away from a fix.
A passive transmitter sounds impossible, as an LED indicates curent
consumption......you have a battery !
I would venture that the LED lights, but the transmitter is too weak to
effectively radiate the signal. It happens. Replace the battery before you
twiddle anything else. If you adjusted the RF coil, you may have doomed the
frequency setting. You may have also somehow altered the DIP settings
if the unit uses digital encryption. (ie dropped it and reset a DIP)
Do the following:
-replace the battery, clean contacts and try again.
-check the motor housing for the learning mode. "Teach" the receiver the
code for your transmitter by following instructions. Usually text on the
box tells you how to teach it.

If in fact you transmitter went bad, you need to buy a replacement, and
teach the motor unit the code anyway. Do a search for your brand online.

Good luck..... Les KA9GLW

Bill

Thank you all for the prompt and accurate responses.
The metal clip did indeed come off with more force applied revealing a screw
which allowed entry to unit.
I bought a new battery and adjusted the tuner until the door worked.

This newsgroup is a great resource for so many things around the house. The
battery cost $2.43 compared to a replacement opener for $38. Not bad folks,
much obliged.
Bill

Bill

Thank you all for the prompt and accurate help.
The opener indeed could be opened by screw hidden under the mounting clip.
Found the battery and replaced for $2.43.
Tuned the slug until operation was restored. Hoooray!
It is always amazing how much information can be obtained from this
newsgroup. Thanks again.

One more thing, after operating a few times the door stopped functioning
even with the switch on the wall which is direct contacts.
Found the starting capacitor bad and a local motor repair shop gave me one
to try. Hoooray again!
Back in business.....
Bill