Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garage Door Opener Won't Lower Door

Lately, our garage door opener has been acting up. We have a rolling
metal door, and it goes up just fine. But when we try and lower the
door, the opener unit flashes as if there's an obstruction and the
door reverses direction and goes back up. We can find no obstruction.
If we push and hold the wall-mounted button, it will lower the door
all the way, but only if we hold the button for the duration of the
lowering. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Fleemo wrote:

Lately, our garage door opener has been acting up. We have a rolling
metal door, and it goes up just fine. But when we try and lower the
door, the opener unit flashes as if there's an obstruction and the
door reverses direction and goes back up. We can find no obstruction.
If we push and hold the wall-mounted button, it will lower the door
all the way, but only if we hold the button for the duration of the
lowering. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

The first thing to check is the "Reverse Sensitivity" adjustment -- mine
is a nut on the side of the opener. Try decreasing the sensitivity.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Fleemo wrote:
Lately, our garage door opener has been acting up. We have a rolling
metal door, and it goes up just fine. But when we try and lower the
door, the opener unit flashes as if there's an obstruction and the
door reverses direction and goes back up. We can find no obstruction.
If we push and hold the wall-mounted button, it will lower the door
all the way, but only if we hold the button for the duration of the
lowering. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

Dose your wall mount button have a lock setting. I found on my daughters that if
the lock button has been pushed it acts the same way yours does. Took me about
an hour to figure that one out.

Hope this helps

Chris
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 12:39:06 -0700 (PDT), Fleemo
wrote:

Lately, our garage door opener has been acting up. We have a rolling
metal door, and it goes up just fine. But when we try and lower the
door, the opener unit flashes as if there's an obstruction and the
door reverses direction and goes back up. We can find no obstruction.
If we push and hold the wall-mounted button, it will lower the door
all the way, but only if we hold the button for the duration of the
lowering. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

De-couple the door. See if you can move the door manually without
feeling any obstruction.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Fleemo" wrote in message
Lately, our garage door opener has been acting up. We have a rolling
metal door, and it goes up just fine. But when we try and lower the
door, the opener unit flashes as if there's an obstruction and the
door reverses direction and goes back up. We can find no obstruction.
If we push and hold the wall-mounted button, it will lower the door
all the way, but only if we hold the button for the duration of the
lowering. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

If it has a electric eye, check for correct alignment-- then for cobwebs,
dust, leaves, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 20, 12:39*pm, Fleemo wrote:
Lately, our garage door opener has been acting up. *

If we push and hold the wall-mounted button, it will lower the door
all the way, but only if we hold the button for the duration of the
lowering. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

That sounds like a problem with the photocell safety circuit.

Check the photocell safety circuit for alignment, dirty lenses, etc.
When our house was new, we had a problem in the summer with late
afternoon sun blinding the receiver. Had to have somebody stand and
shadow the receiver in order to close the door. Problem went away when
the olive tree in the front yard grew enough to block the late
afternoon summer sun.

Jerry
Posted to alt.home.repair

That sounds like a problem with the photocell safety circuit.

Check the photocell safety circuit for alignment, dirty lenses, etc.
When our house was new, we had a problem in the summer with late
afternoon sun blinding the receiver. Had to have somebody stand and
shadow the receiver in order to close the door. Problem went away when
the olive tree in the front yard grew enough to block the late
afternoon summer sun.

Jerry

Had similar time of day problem. Was able to make the system work
properly during this sun blinding time period by just making sure the
eyes were squeaky clean. Minimize the diffusion of the sunlight.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Fleemo" wrote in message
Lately, our garage door opener has been acting up. We have a rolling
metal door, and it goes up just fine. But when we try and lower the
door, the opener unit flashes as if there's an obstruction and the
door reverses direction and goes back up. We can find no obstruction.
If we push and hold the wall-mounted button, it will lower the door
all the way, but only if we hold the button for the duration of the
lowering. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

Is the door properly balanced? Disconnect it from the opener and pull the
door so that it's halfway down. If it doesn't stay there, it isn't balanced
and the opener will have a hard time opening or closing the door, depending
on which way the door is out of balance. Call a garage door co. to fix this.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 20, 1:13*pm, Jerry wrote:
On Oct 20, 12:39*pm, Fleemo wrote:

Lately, our garage door opener has been acting up. *
If we push and hold the wall-mounted button, it will lower the door
all the way, but only if we hold the button for the duration of the
lowering. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

That sounds like a problem with the photocell safety circuit.

Check the photocell safety circuit for alignment, dirty lenses, etc.
When our house was new, we had a problem in the summer with late
afternoon sun blinding the receiver. Had to have somebody stand and
shadow the receiver in order to close the door. Problem went away when
the olive tree in the front yard grew enough to block the late
afternoon summer sun.

Jerry

That sounds like a problem with the photocell safety circuit.

Jerry's diagnosis is correct....the "electric eye" safety circuit is
failing to give the "ok to close the door" signal.

Pushing & holding the manual switch overrides the safety circuit.

cheers
Bob