Posted to alt.home.repair

Default proposed HOA formation

One of my neighbors came by the other day and asked that I sign a
Christmas card and chip in for a gift card for another neighbor, Mike.
It turns out that Mike is the guy who's been mowing the big right of
way around the entrance to our subdivision. I just assumed it was the
city. Nope, it's Mike, and he's been doing it for free for more than
two years. I was happy to kick in a few bucks. Thanks, Mike!

While she was here, she casually mentioned that "some of us" were
trying to set up an "unofficial HOA" that would ask people to
voluntarily donate a suggested amount to do things like decorating
around the entrance. I'm generally opposed to HOAs, so I just ignored
that and gave her some cash for Mike.

If someone asks me to help plant shrubs, I'll be glad to participate,
but I'm not going to support setting up an HOA. About what do I need to
worry here?

* I assume they can't impose an HOA after the fact unless we agree. Am
I right?
* What if 75% of the homeowners agree to the HOA?

It's unlikely this will ever get past the talking stage, but if nothing
else, it's an interesting question. I'll go talk to my lawyer if it
becomes a reality.

In your opinion, what's likely to occur, and what can I do about it.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveBell wrote:
[...]

If you already own your property, and you are not currently a member of
a HOA, you would have to actually opt in to be bound by any HOA
restrictions.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveBell" wrote in message
a.org...
[...]

Don't know about Texas, but most places a HOA is not a Government (like a
city or township), but a contract freely entered into by owners of the land
and the association. HOAs cannot force you to agree to the contract if you
own the land before the association comes into being. If the cost /
benefits ratio of the HOA is not to your liking, don't go for it. Don't
matter what the others think or say, only your local or county courts
(Judges) can force you into binding and attaching your land to a HOA against
your will.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveBell" wrote in message
a.org...
[...]

Check locally with the officials there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveBell wrote:
[...]

Sounds like its more of a bad choice of a name than anything. I have
friends who have a similar situation. There is a common green area and
also a neighboring stream with a flood control dike where they live.
They have a simple informal neighborhood association where everyone
throws some money in to pay something to help out their "Mike" and for
some plantings and the Christmas decorations.

If it were me I would ask if the "unofficial HOA" you described has the
same intent and even suggest that the name be changed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveBell" wrote in news:gierrl$qmf$1
@newlifehomeimprovement.motzarella.org:

[...]

You should have donated cement shoes to "all of them".
Posted to alt.home.repair

Phil-In-Mich. wrote:
Steve:

Don't know about Texas, but most places a HOA is not a Government
(like a city or township), but a contract freely entered into by
owners of the land and the association. HOAs cannot force you to
agree to the contract if you own the land before the association
comes into being. If the cost / benefits ratio of the HOA is not to
your liking, don't go for it. Don't matter what the others think or
say, only your local or county courts (Judges) can force you into
binding and attaching your land to a HOA against your will.

"Vee haf our vays!"

There is such a thing as a "Special Tax District," that can be implemented
by a significant percentage of property owners. We have several in Houston
and all - so far as I know - are commercial in nature. They tax the property
owners and use the not-unsubstantial funds for district improvements. These
district improvements - and a district is very small, maybe 50 square
blocks - include distinctive street lighting, fancy-schmancy traffic
signals, stainless steel arches over the main roads, illuminated street
signs, and other visible designations of the district. There may be
not-visible expenditures (street cleaning, extra traffic cops, et al).

This construct is not an HOA and I don't think it will apply to our friend
from Arlington, TX, but the point is one CAN be impressed into an
authoritarian institution against his will.

Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:
SteveBell wrote:
[...]

Right. "XYZ Civic Club" comes to mind.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in
m:

Phil-In-Mich. wrote:
[...]

It's all relative :-)

City list:
Albany, VT (pop. 840)
Alburg (pop. 488)
Andover, VT (pop. 496)
Athens, VT (pop. 340)
Baltimore, VT (pop. 250)
Barnard, VT (pop. 958)
Barton, VT (pop. 742)
Belvidere, VT (pop. 294)
Bloomfield, VT (pop. 261)
Bolton, VT (pop. 971)
Bradford, VT (pop. 815)
Bridgewater, VT (pop. 980)
Brookline, VT (pop. 467)
Brownington (pop. 885)
Cabot, VT (pop. 239)
Cambridge, VT (pop. 235)
Charleston, VT (pop. 895)
Chester-Chester Depot (pop. 999)
Derby Center (pop. 670)
Derby Line (pop. 776)
East Haven, VT (pop. 301)
Elmore, VT (pop. 849)
Fairlee (pop. 967)
Glover (pop. 966)
Goshen, VT (pop. 227)
Grafton, VT (pop. 649)
Granville, VT (pop. 303)
Greensboro, VT (pop. 770)
Groton, VT (pop. 876)
Guildhall (pop. 268)
Halifax, VT (pop. 782)
Hancock, VT (pop. 382)
Holland, VT (pop. 588)
Hubbardton (pop. 752)
Hyde Park, VT (pop. 415)
Ira, VT (pop. 455)
Island Pond (pop. 849)
Isle La Motte (pop. 488)
Jacksonville, VT (pop. 237)
Jamaica, VT (pop. 946)
Jay, VT (pop. 426)
Jeffersonville, VT (pop. 568)
Kirby, VT (pop. 456)
Leicester, VT (pop. 974)
Lowell, VT (pop. 738)
Ludlow, VT (pop. 958)
Manchester, VT (pop. 602)
Marlboro, VT (pop. 978)
Marshfield, VT (pop. 262)
Middletown Springs (pop. 823)
Montgomery, VT (pop. 992)
Morgan, VT (pop. 669)
Mount Tabor (pop. 203)
Newark, VT (pop. 470)
Newbury, VT (pop. 396)
North Hero (pop. 810)
North Troy (pop. 593)
North Westminster (pop. 271)
Norton, VT (pop. 214)
Old Bennington (pop. 232)
Orange, VT (pop. 965)
Orleans, VT (pop. 826)
Panton (pop. 682)
Peacham (pop. 665)
Peru, VT (pop. 416)
Pittsfield, VT (pop. 427)
Plymouth, VT (pop. 555)
Pomfret, VT (pop. 997)
Reading, VT (pop. 707)
Readsboro (pop. 809)
Ripton (pop. 556)
Roxbury, VT (pop. 576)
Rupert, VT (pop. 704)
Sandgate (pop. 353)
Saxtons River (pop. 519)
Sheffield, VT (pop. 727)
South Shaftsbury (pop. 772)
St. George, VT (pop. 698)
Stamford, VT (pop. 813)
Stockbridge, VT (pop. 674)
Sudbury, VT (pop. 583)
Sunderland, VT (pop. 850)
Tinmouth (pop. 567)
Vershire (pop. 629)
Walden, VT (pop. 782)
Wallingford, VT (pop. 948)
Waltham, VT (pop. 479)
Wardsboro (pop. 854)
Waterville, VT (pop. 697)
Wells River (pop. 325)
West Burke (pop. 364)
West Fairlee (pop. 726)
West Haven, VT (pop. 278)
Westfield, VT (pop. 503)
Westminster, VT (pop. 276)
Westmore (pop. 306)
Weston, VT (pop. 630)
Weybridge (pop. 824)
Wheelock (pop. 621)
Whiting, VT (pop. 380)
Windham, VT (pop. 328)
Winhall (pop. 702)
Woodbury, VT (pop. 809)
Woodford (pop. 414)
Woodstock, VT (pop. 977)
Worcester, VT (pop. 902)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveBell" wrote:

If someone asks me to help plant shrubs, I'll be glad to participate,
but I'm not going to support setting up an HOA. About what do I need to
worry here?

* I assume they can't impose an HOA after the fact unless we agree. Am
I right?
* What if 75% of the homeowners agree to the HOA?

It's unlikely this will ever get past the talking stage, but if nothing
else, it's an interesting question. I'll go talk to my lawyer if it
becomes a reality.

No, your property dan't be encumbered after the fact without your consent or
judicial action - neither of which is likely.

Your neighbors can form a voluntary neighborhood association, raise funds and
apply those funds towards neighborhood improvements. You can't be compelled to
join or contribute.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 01:02:45 +0000 (UTC), "SteveBell"
wrote:

If someone asks me to help plant shrubs, I'll be glad to participate,

What if you and the person who asks you are the only ones who show up?
Year after year? What if even the one who asks you doesn't show up
anymore?

And Mike, you won't have Mike forever.

but I'm not going to support setting up an HOA. About what do I need to
worry here?

Very little. Either don't sign anything, or read very carefully what
you sign.

I doubt what she has in mind has anything to do with signing anything,
or with forming an HOA that has "power". She just wants an organized
way to collect some money for n'hood beautification.

And that's probably a good thing, as long as the cost is reasonable,
and it probably would be, but they can't force you to give more than
you want, as long as you haven't signed anything that says they can.

(Oh, do you own your own streets or does the government?)

* I assume they can't impose an HOA after the fact unless we agree. Am
I right?
* What if 75% of the homeowners agree to the HOA?

They could bind themselves, but not those who don't agree.

It's unlikely this will ever get past the talking stage, but if nothing
else, it's an interesting question. I'll go talk to my lawyer if it
becomes a reality.

Don't forget, She called it unofficial. I'm sure she means no legal
contract, no binding power, like a club. You don't object to clubs do
you. Maybe like the Kiwanis club, but more selfish. They do things
for people they don't know. You'd all be doing things for your own
small group of people. (Although even the Kiwanis does things for the
town they live in, which is similar. People can quit the Kiwanis
anytime they want. And I think the dues are small and most people give
more time or money than is required. And if they can't pay the dues
they quit, but they don't move out of their home.

Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveBell wrote:

[...]

Who owns the land in question? Does the city not mow rights-of-way? I
would be very cool
to any agreement to do anything to land that I did not own. If Mike
mows for a few more
years, mebbe he will own it? Any agreement/contract to do anything can
lead to lawyers.
I certainly would not plant anything......the day someone hits a gas
line or a cable will be
the day appreciation is forgotten.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Neville wrote:

No, your property dan't be encumbered after the fact without your
consent or judicial action - neither of which is likely.

Unless, of course, your property is annexed by a nearby city....

Your neighbors can form a voluntary neighborhood association, raise
funds and apply those funds towards neighborhood improvements. You
can't be compelled to join or contribute.

Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveBell wrote:
[...]

Doubt if you will be obligated to join but you may suffer peer pressure
to pay if one is formed. Back in old development, HOA was formed
afterwards. I refused to join but would pay for snow removal as this is
an important item here. HOA would pester me for dues which was only a
few dollars but I would not pay out of principle.

Current neighborhood, required joining association on purchase of home.
Big item, is still snow removal and I participate gladly in association.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 19, 12:38*pm, "SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote:
"Frank" wrote in message

SteveBell wrote:
[...]

There is a BIG difference in being a reasonably minded neighbor and
subjecting yourself to a headache. *You took the high road.

Steve- Hide quoted text -

Geez, it looks like most of the posters here want to make something
simple into a big deal. The OP stated the issue was "set up an
"unofficial HOA" that would ask people to voluntarily donate a
suggested amount to do things like decorating around the entrance."

That's very different from an actual legal and binding HOA. So, I
don't see why anyone would have a problem with it. One owner has been
nice enough to mow/maintain the common entrance area. All this
neighbor was trying to do was come up with some informal, non-binding
way to collect money from the other owners willing to help pay for it
and maybe make the place look better. Instead of sending her on her
way, I would have said sure, I don't mind chipping in to a voluntary
system, paying my fair share, and think it's a great idea. I hardly
think she's going to come back with legal documents forming a HOA.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveBell" wrote

If someone asks me to help plant shrubs, I'll be glad to participate,
but I'm not going to support setting up an HOA. About what do I need to
worry here?

Not to worry, as others said but peer pressure can be a problem. I think
they need to rename it as it sounds more like what I have here. Run this by
them?

We have a local NA (Neighborhood association). It is *not* an HOA. It is a
voluntary list of folks who with prior arrangement, help others with various
'things'. The most common one is helping get leaves up just now. This is
an older sub-division and many here are quite elderly. They wander down to
Karen's (local lady) or call her and she keeps an email list which she sends
out. 2 weeks ago, we showed up for the Garrison's (nice elder lady, husband
wheelchair bound now) and handled their leaves. Joe came over with some
leaf bags (Joe is next door, we handle his leaves as he's also older but
it's from our combined tree that grows maybe 6 inches deeper on his side but
pretty much 'on' the property line).

Ours is more a matter of fair sharing the help we have and the skills we
have. Now and again a project comes up that needs some materials which the
person can't afford but usually one of us has the stuff sitting about, or in
a few times, one of us just goes out to get it and donates it.

Samples of that since I came back stateside OCT 2007:

- Bad step, wood rotted, needed 3ft long 12 inch PT piece and someone with
tools to cut it to measure. (We had tools, another had the wood)
- Wheelchair ramp, wood again, needed several pieces replaced, 6 inch PT
stuff, we had wood and tools, others did labor
- Driveway resurface (professionally done), needed temp a place to park
nearby (we have a double and just about the only one near with that, 2 doors
down)
- Gutter and leaf cleaning, probably been about 15 of these, we've done
some, others the rest. They often borrow our gutter cleaner. (got Don a
nice one for his birthday)
- Wallpaper repair after water damage in bathroom (wall fixed professionally
after leak fixed, just needed papering and they couldnt afford it). Small
job, took me 1 hour if that. They had an extra roll of the pattern and it's
not the sort to worry about repeat lining up.
- Grunch of elders who use the local kids for 10$ to cut the grass (small
lots here, 1 hour to cut average lawn front and back).
- Spring several ask to borrow rototillers for gardens and someone always
seems to have one and happy to do a small bit in a known safe spot away from
any lines.
- Bush shaping (roses and box elder mostly)
- Fence repairs (we sometimes have the wood for this, others do labor) this
is minor repairs, not major which we will be contracting out in spring for
our own house

Best of all:
- Minor roof tile patching after a wind storm (this one was emailed out as
'who needs help with a few tiles and if they had matching ones, then we had
10 of us go door to door in teams of 3 as there were alot of replies. I
*think* we did about every 4th house in the end including 2 that came loose
on our own at the front of the garage.

Here's where a 'NA' really kicks off.
- Next door renter is a roofer and donated a day to check what needed more
than simple handyman. He is *honest* and we know it. He then (after asking
folks if they were ok with him asking for an estimate) called his boss and
negotiated a 'group rate' for some that needed more after he looked at
their roof. These were cases where the folks knew they needed a roof job
anyway and just hadnt worked out the details yet.

Great deal on both sides since they could do a big batch and just bring a
really big team (3 maybe?) over to one area for 14 days. *chuckle* we looked
like a construction zone with the roofers on 3 houses on my street alone but
the deal was really sweet. About 1750$ labor? plus cost of materials for a
whole house tear off (plywood replacement extra if needed). I believe the
talley was 19 houses in a 4 x 3 block radius needed some level of
professional care? (houses built 1960, most now at max number of tiles and
needing ripoff and repair if not already done).

If this 'sort of thing' is what you mean, then it's not an HOA but it is a
neighborhood association of another sort.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
SteveBell wrote:
[...]

Read Phil in Mich. 's nice post in another HOA thread regarding the guts of
the judge's ruling. I suggest you to there, and follow the link in the link
to the full judge's decision. The more you understand, the better choice
you will make. I would not opt in to a HOA were it me, because right now,
you may know everyone, and five years, you may have new neighbors and people
running it that you wouldn't invite over for a dog bar mitzvah.

Phil -In-Mich. posted:
http://www.tampabays10.com/news/most...9&provider=top

Odd,
I followed your link and then followed the link to read the full decision by
the Judge.

HTH

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"George" wrote in message
SteveBell wrote:
[...]

I'd keep it informal and illegal. That way, if the wheels fall off the
thing, you won't be bound to it. What if you form an association, and Mike
continues to do the work at the reasonable rate he now does it. Aw, shoot,
Mike falls under the mower, is killed, and his widow sues the HOA. PLUS,
now you have to hire Mike's replacement, and they want $2500 a month. PLUS,
the state is in on it now because you didn't have Mike properly insured.
And Mike's widow has hired the most ruthless ambulance chasing personal
injury attorney in the state.

It's a scenario that HAS happened before, or similarly, and not impossible.

Lastly, everything hinges on Mike. What happens if something happens to
Mike? Transfer. Divorce. Sickness. Injury. Gets tired of being the
hero. **** happens, and it usually happens worst to people with good
intentions. No good deed goes unpunished.

HTH

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I live in a "voluntary HOA" community. We have an organization that
maintains the common grounds and we all chip in but it runs as a
"corporation not for profit" (Fla article 617) and they do not have
the power of lien. We get about 75-80% participation on the $150 a
year dues. It is enough money to maintain a community park, shelter
building, boat ramp and several boat slips (for a nominal rent). That
also buys an insurance policy for the common elements.
This is the best of both worlds. We have some organized participation
of neighbors but without any power freaks since there really isn't any
power to be had.
A few people tried to look into making this a "720" lien empowered
association and it got voted down by about 70% of the residents.

Wow, buddy! I know of associations that we've done studies on that run
$1,000 A MONTH.

$150 a year is very reasonable, particularly in a state that requires
reserve studies, and that rate is pretty much locked in and documented.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" wrote in message

SteveBell wrote:

[...]

Some of us have had encounters with people who have bad intentions and
plenty of money
to hire attorneys )

That's very different from an actual legal and binding HOA. So, I
don't see why anyone would have a problem with it. One owner has been
nice enough to mow/maintain the common entrance area. All this
neighbor was trying to do was come up with some informal, non-binding
way to collect money from the other owners willing to help pay for it
and maybe make the place look better. Instead of sending her on her
way, I would have said sure, I don't mind chipping in to a voluntary
system, paying my fair share, and think it's a great idea. I hardly
think she's going to come back with legal documents forming a HOA.

And if Mike falls off the mower, cuts off his leg and bleeds to death,
what will his loved ones
do? Sue someone? Does paying him make him your employee?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveBell" wrote:

While she was here, she casually mentioned that "some of us" were
trying to set up an "unofficial HOA" that would ask people to
voluntarily donate a suggested amount to do things like decorating
around the entrance. I'm generally opposed to HOAs, so I just ignored
that and gave her some cash for Mike.

Our neighborhood (Dallas, Texas) has a voluntary homeowner's association. It
has no enforcement powers at all. But with voluntary dues contributions ($150
per year) provides extra police patrols, crime watch, and general community
organization and communication. I like it. I would be very, very reluctant to
live where an HOA could put a lien on my property for dues or a pickup in my
front year, but the one we have is a good thing. -- Doug
Posted to alt.home.repair

Norminn wrote:
And if Mike falls off the mower, cuts off his leg and bleeds to death,
what will his loved ones
do? Sue someone? Does paying him make him your employee?

If the idea is to use the money to pay Mike and maybe to pay others to do
various beneficial projects, it could get complicated.

For one thing, there are the questions above about "who" is paying Mike, is
he then an employee, is he covered by Workers Comp if he gets injured while
working, who is responsible if he damages something or injures someone else
while working, etc.

Then, there's the question of what happens if you keep it "informal" where
various people contribute? If two or more people get together, put up
money, and pay someone to do things, what they have created is a General
Partnership -- even though it is not registered anywhere as a partnership.
With a General Partnership, each and every one of the people who put up
money is 100% personally responsible for any and all debts or liabilities of
the partnership. That one act of contributing toward this informal group
that hires people to do things exposes each and every contributor to the
possibilty of being sued individually and having to pay for their own
individual defense in any lawsuit.

On the other hand, if you decide to have some type of civic organization or
group where people contribute money, and want to use that money toward doing
a public good and maybe paying people like Mike to do things, you should NOT
keep it informal. Just form a small nonprofit corporation. Then people can
pay dues or give money to the corporation and the CORPORATION, not the
individuals, can pay out money to Mike or whoever and pay to have things
planted, etc. Then, if something happens, it is the corporation, not the
individuals that will be exposed to whatever liability there may be.

It's a tad more complicated than that, but by and large, that's the way it
works.

You can buy a book through Nolo Press ( http://nolo.com ) called How to Form
a Nonprofit Corporation and get the whole low-down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

If someone asks me to help plant shrubs, I'll be glad to
participate,

What if you and the person who asks you are the only ones who show up?
Year after year? What if even the one who asks you doesn't show up
anymore?

That's OK with me. I do this kind of stuff already for people
identified by my church.

And Mike, you won't have Mike forever.

In that case, they'll probably get Steve. If I'd known it was a
neighbor doing the work, I'd've been helping anyway.

but I'm not going to support setting up an HOA. About what do I
need to worry here?

Very little. Either don't sign anything, or read very carefully what
you sign.

I doubt what she has in mind has anything to do with signing anything,
or with forming an HOA that has "power". She just wants an organized
way to collect some money for n'hood beautification.

And that's probably a good thing, as long as the cost is reasonable,
and it probably would be, but they can't force you to give more than
you want, as long as you haven't signed anything that says they can.

(Oh, do you own your own streets or does the government?)

The city owns the streets here.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveBell wrote:

[...]

The city owns the land. The existing two-lane road was originally a
farm road, but there's room set aside for a median and more lanes on
our side. That's the part Mike's maintaining.

Does the city not mow rights-of-way?

They do, but only a few times a year.

I would be very cool to any agreement to do anything to land that I
did not own. If Mike mows for a few more years, mebbe he will own
it? Any agreement/contract to do anything can lead to lawyers. I
certainly would not plant anything......the day someone hits a gas
line or a cable will be the day appreciation is forgotten.

That's a good point. I don't mind if I plant some bushes and lose the
money and effort, but I'd hate to have to pay the cable company to
repair a cut line. I cut my own cable once, long ago, and they charged
almost $100 for a simple splice. Luckily I now know how to do
waterproof splices. ;-)

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveBell wrote:
[...]

I like your approach. I believe that's the one I'll follow if anything
"official" gets started.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveBell wrote:

SteveBell wrote:

[...]

And if you go away on vacation, the bushes get overgrown, someone pulls
out of the subdivision
because they (didn't look or didn't see or whatever scheme one desires)
and is killed, who are
the survivors going to come after? You planted stuff on city right of
way, city gets sued, and
then............

Better for the whole gang to call the township or city and complain.
Call it a hazard. I would not
mess with someone else's property. Period. I also have had a number of
very cordial relationships
in condo life that turned ice cold when benefits of friendship were
exhausted.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 21:28:18 +0000 (UTC), "SteveBell"
wrote:

Who owns the land in question?

The city owns the land. The existing two-lane road was originally a
farm road, but there's room set aside for a median and more lanes on
our side. That's the part Mike's maintaining.

Does the city not mow rights-of-way?

They do, but only a few times a year.

I would be very cool to any agreement to do anything to land that I
did not own. If Mike mows for a few more years, mebbe he will own
it? Any agreement/contract to do anything can lead to lawyers. I
certainly would not plant anything......the day someone hits a gas
line or a cable will be the day appreciation is forgotten.

That's a good point. I don't mind if I plant some bushes and lose the
money and effort,

This is you, and can't be transferred to every HOA situation... never
mind, you are the OP.

Anyhow, I was also going to say that when I lived in suburban
INdianapolois, we also also lived an a main but two-lane road and the
county owned 10 or 15 feet on our side of the road to be used for
widening it.

About half of the neighbors put their bushes in on their own land, so
they wouldn't be cut down later. (It also meant when they backed out
of the driveway, they could see if anyone was coming. Every driveway
had a "turnaround" but I don't think anyone used them.)

And half put the bushes in a foot from the road, on public land. We
bought the house used and the bushes were already close to the road.

I was back there a year ago, 51 years after we had bought the house,
and they still haven't widened the road!! There are more houses, but
the increased traffic is almost entirely on the main road, a half mile
to the east.

but I'd hate to have to pay the cable company to
repair a cut line. I cut my own cable once, long ago, and they charged
almost $100 for a simple splice. Luckily I now know how to do
waterproof splices. ;-)

My next door neighbor hired some guy who used the wrong tool and cut
my phone line. He was going to do some shlock repair, but I did a
good job. The neighbor himself said he woudl pay for the repair and
I called the phone company and the repair was free, but it seemed they
weren't going to do as good a job as I did. I soldered the wires and
they were just going to use some jellied crimp connectors. I taped
the connection with silicon tape and they were just going to use vinyl
electric tape.

--
Steve Bell

Posted to alt.home.repair
KLS KLS is offline

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 12:06:03 -0500, "cshenk" wrote:

We have a local NA (Neighborhood association). It is *not* an HOA. It is a
voluntary list of folks who with prior arrangement, help others with various
'things'. [cut]

Ours is more a matter of fair sharing the help we have and the skills we
have. Now and again a project comes up that needs some materials which the
person can't afford but usually one of us has the stuff sitting about, or in
a few times, one of us just goes out to get it and donates it.

Long list of admirable accomplishments cut: I am really impressed
with this community effort you've got going here. Bravo!
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 09:37:08 -0800, "SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas
wrote:

Wow, buddy! I know of associations that we've done studies on that run
$1,000 A MONTH.

$150 a year is very reasonable, particularly in a state that requires
reserve studies, and that rate is pretty much locked in and documented.

Steve

If you do move to an HOA place, you don't want one where it is too
hard to raise the dues. I think until a year ago, my dues were only
100 dollars a year, and before that for many years only 80/year and
it's not enough. Because in addition to some lawnmowing, planting
flowers, plowing snow, etc. every ten or 15 years we have to repave
the roads and parking areas, for $50 or 100,000, from 110 homes. So
we should take in 10,000 a year for that, or 100 dollars a year per
home just for that.

The rules here made it very hard to raise the dues. I think they
illegally raised hem last winter when I was out of town, but I don't
complain, because the hoa needs the money more than I do. I wish they
had raised them more.

If an HOA spends too litle money, the place looks run down and people
lose thousands or 10's of thousands when they sell. Plus even before
one wants to move, other houses are worth less and poorer people buy
them, and resist raising the dues, especially if they plan to move in
5 years, or after their first or second kid is born.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"KLS" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:

We have a local NA (Neighborhood association). It is *not* an HOA. It is
voluntary list of folks who with prior arrangement, help others with
various
'things'. [cut]

Ours is more a matter of fair sharing the help we have and the skills we
have. Now and again a project comes up that needs some materials which
the
person can't afford but usually one of us has the stuff sitting about, or
in
a few times, one of us just goes out to get it and donates it.

Long list of admirable accomplishments cut: I am really impressed
with this community effort you've got going here. Bravo!

Glad you like it! We do!

One of the fellows near us is a licensed 'tree cutter' who drops off an
email for a cut rate to do the near streets each year. It's to keep from
losing his own power ;-) Lots of trees here. He's slated for the communal
tree Jim and I have at the part that hits near the power lines. (grows on
the property line but center is about 6 inches into his yard, we treat it as
a communal tree).