Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveBell[_2_] SteveBell[_2_] is offline

Default proposed HOA formation

SteveBell wrote:
One of my neighbors came by the other day and asked that I sign a
Christmas card and chip in for a gift card for another neighbor,
Mike. It turns out that Mike is the guy who's been mowing the big
right of way around the entrance to our subdivision. I just assumed
it was the city. Nope, it's Mike, and he's been doing it for free
for more than two years. I was happy to kick in a few bucks.
Thanks, Mike!

While she was here, she casually mentioned that "some of us" were
trying to set up an "unofficial HOA" that would ask people to
voluntarily donate a suggested amount to do things like decorating
around the entrance. I'm generally opposed to HOAs, so I just
ignored that and gave her some cash for Mike.

If someone asks me to help plant shrubs, I'll be glad to
participate, but I'm not going to support setting up an HOA. About
what do I need to worry here?

* I assume they can't impose an HOA after the fact unless we
agree. Am I right?
* What if 75% of the homeowners agree to the HOA?

It's unlikely this will ever get past the talking stage, but if
nothing else, it's an interesting question. I'll go talk to my
lawyer if it becomes a reality.

In your opinion, what's likely to occur, and what can I do about it.

Doubt if you will be obligated to join but you may suffer peer
pressure to pay if one is formed. Back in old development, HOA was
formed afterwards. I refused to join but would pay for snow removal
as this is an important item here. HOA would pester me for dues
which was only a few dollars but I would not pay out of principle.

Current neighborhood, required joining association on purchase of
home. Big item, is still snow removal and I participate gladly in
association.

I like your approach. I believe that's the one I'll follow if anything
"official" gets started.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement