Posted to alt.home.repair
Douglas Johnson[_2_] Douglas Johnson[_2_] is offline

Default proposed HOA formation

"SteveBell" wrote:

While she was here, she casually mentioned that "some of us" were
trying to set up an "unofficial HOA" that would ask people to
voluntarily donate a suggested amount to do things like decorating
around the entrance. I'm generally opposed to HOAs, so I just ignored
that and gave her some cash for Mike.

Our neighborhood (Dallas, Texas) has a voluntary homeowner's association. It
has no enforcement powers at all. But with voluntary dues contributions ($150
per year) provides extra police patrols, crime watch, and general community
organization and communication. I like it. I would be very, very reluctant to
live where an HOA could put a lien on my property for dues or a pickup in my
front year, but the one we have is a good thing. -- Doug