Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Sam Nickaby

Default How to fix cup water rings formation in stained desk?

We have three nested tables that are stained reddish brown.
They don't have any type of lacquer finish on them. Our
grandmother has kept them for many years without this problem.
The problem is that, since the tables were handed down to
us, water condensations from the cold soda cup leaves a pool
of water, washing away the paint. This is seen by the white
circular marks on the table.What is a practical solution to
solve and prevent this problem?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Bugs

Learn to use coasters and doilies, like your Grandmother did.
Bugs

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Doug Schultz

"Sam Nickaby" wrote in message
We have three nested tables that are stained reddish brown.
They don't have any type of lacquer finish on them. Our
grandmother has kept them for many years without this problem.
The problem is that, since the tables were handed down to
us, water condensations from the cold soda cup leaves a pool
of water, washing away the paint. This is seen by the white
circular marks on the table.What is a practical solution to
solve and prevent this problem?

Thanks

lemon oil and ashes.
makes a polishing paste. brings the water out and removes the ring.
just gentle rubbing.

Doug

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Doug Schultz wrote:
"Sam Nickaby" wrote in message
We have three nested tables that are stained reddish brown.
They don't have any type of lacquer finish on them. Our
grandmother has kept them for many years without this problem.
The problem is that, since the tables were handed down to
us, water condensations from the cold soda cup leaves a pool
of water, washing away the paint. This is seen by the white
circular marks on the table.

In addition to all the other posts which sound pretty cool, it might be
that the finish on these is shellac. This is from
http://antiquerestorers.com/Articles/jeff/shellac.htm:
"Over time, shellac finishes can show surface scratches and other minor
mishaps like water rings. These are very easy to repair with alcohol,
the solvent for shellac."
Obviously test first.
Richard

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
mm

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 13:44:46 GMT, "Sam Nickaby" wrote:

We have three nested tables that are stained reddish brown.
They don't have any type of lacquer finish on them. Our
grandmother has kept them for many years without this problem.
The problem is that, since the tables were handed down to
us, water condensations from the cold soda cup leaves a pool
of water, washing away the paint.

I love the way you phrase this. I know a bit about wood, and I can
assure you that water condesations damaged the wood in the same way
before the tables were handed down to you. The difference is not
time, but that your grandmother didn't let such things happen.

Don't blame the year or the cold soda cup or the water.