Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Putting up fence - Do I need a boundry survey?

I have been getting quotes over $2,000 for a survey.

Is this normal? Something I really need for a basic fence?
Posted to alt.home.repair

The dude wrote:
I have been getting quotes over $2,000 for a survey.

Is this normal? Something I really need for a basic fence?

I wouldn't. Just give it your best guess.

What's the worst that could happen?

That is, if you and the folks on the other side are on friendly terms.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 12, 2:51*pm, The dude wrote:
I have been getting quotes over $2,000 for a survey.

Is this normal? *Something I really need for a basic fence?

In my town I can put the fence directly on the lot line, with the
proper permit in hand.

If I knew - without question - where my lot was, I wouldn't need a
survey.

Save for knowing - without question - where my lot line was, it would
behoove me to get a survey. If i want maximum space within the fence
without encroaching on the neighboring properties, I'd better know -
without question - where my lot line was.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

HeyBub wrote:
The dude wrote:
I have been getting quotes over $2,000 for a survey.

Is this normal? Something I really need for a basic fence?

I wouldn't. Just give it your best guess.

What's the worst that could happen?

That you end up having ceded over a fraction of your lot that could be a
sizable economic penalty at sale time.

Or, that the fence gets to be moved and redone on _your_ property at
whatever the appropriate setback is.

Either can be far more expensive than the $2K.

Whether need it or not depends on whether there's really a question as
to where the property line really is--which I gather there must be or
wouldn't be considering the question here.

Isn't there a corner marker/wasn't a survey done when you closed on the
house?

Posted to alt.home.repair

You can usually find the survey pegs with a good metal detector if your area
is pegged. Otherwise, it's about $500 in our area for a survey. Find
someone you know in the biz and flip him a hundred.

"The dude" wrote in message
. ..
I have been getting quotes over $2,000 for a survey.

Is this normal? Something I really need for a basic fence?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Also, you'll want to make sure there's not any rules about having the fence
ON the property line, AND that there's no utility easements. You'll also
need utility locates before you start punching holes.

"The dude" wrote in message
. ..
I have been getting quotes over $2,000 for a survey.

Is this normal? Something I really need for a basic fence?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 12, 2:51*pm, The dude wrote:
I have been getting quotes over $2,000 for a survey.

Is this normal? *Something I really need for a basic fence?

In the Charleston South Carolina region, a survey is cheap insurance.
I've found fences, out buildings, and primary residences that are on
neighboring lots.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I just got another estimate.

$1,000 for the same thing.

This is for 3.5 acres of land

The dude wrote:
I have been getting quotes over $2,000 for a survey.

Is this normal? Something I really need for a basic fence?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 12, 3:53*pm, The dude wrote:
The only utility I have is natural gas, I can see where it goes (not
where the fence is.

Keep in mind that just because you only have gas, does not mean
your neighbors don't have more and it may run across your property.
In most areas the utilities will come out and mark their lines and
pipes for free.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

The dude wrote:
I have not closed on the house.

Instead of paying for 2 surveys, I want to combine the cost.

Well, if one is done, that would seem to suffice...why would there be two?

You do need to somehow (whether it's finding existing or a new) find the
actual points that define the boundary. Once you know them, you can
surely manage to do a setback from there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
The dude wrote:
I have been getting quotes over $2,000 for a survey.

Is this normal? *Something I really need for a basic fence?

I wouldn't. Just give it your best guess.

What's the worst that could happen?

That you end up having ceded over a fraction of your lot that could be a
sizable economic penalty at sale time.

Or, that the fence gets to be moved and redone on _your_ property at
whatever the appropriate setback is.

Either can be far more expensive than the $2K.

Whether need it or not depends on whether there's really a question as
to where the property line really is--which I gather there must be or
wouldn't be considering the question here.

Isn't there a corner marker/wasn't a survey done when you closed on the
house?

If you're already having a survey done prior to closing, why would you
think you need a separate one for the fence?

How much time will have passed between the closing and the fence
install?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The dude" wrote in message
. ..
I have not closed on the house.

Instead of paying for 2 surveys, I want to combine the cost.

*Sounds like a good idea. You can pay the surveyor to drive stakes or you
can follow him around and put in your own stakes. If you haven't already
you should contact the town about the zoning for fences. There may be a
setback requirement.

dpb wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
The dude wrote:
I have been getting quotes over $2,000 for a survey.

Is this normal? Something I really need for a basic fence?

I wouldn't. Just give it your best guess.

What's the worst that could happen?

That you end up having ceded over a fraction of your lot that could be a
sizable economic penalty at sale time.

Or, that the fence gets to be moved and redone on _your_ property at
whatever the appropriate setback is.

Either can be far more expensive than the $2K.

Whether need it or not depends on whether there's really a question as to
where the property line really is--which I gather there must be or
wouldn't be considering the question here.

Isn't there a corner marker/wasn't a survey done when you closed on the
house?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 12, 3:27*pm, wrote:
On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 14:23:49 -0500, "Steve Barker DLT"

wrote:
You can usually find the survey pegs with a good metal detector if your area
is pegged. *Otherwise, it's about $500 in our area for a survey. *Find
someone you know in the biz and flip him a hundred.

Go to city hall and look up your plot. The surveyor who did the
original survey will be identified on it. If they are still in
business, it often saves you some money io have them update their
original work.

I found the guy who did one of my properties when the house was built
in 1952, and it cost me a LOT less in 1997 than any other quote I got.

I had to have a survey done before I closed. Apparently it was just an
updated tape survey cuz the previous owner told me some guys came out,
took a few measurements in the yard and left.

I thought all was well until a few months after closing I submitted a
copy of the map along with the plans for the deck I was building. The
town clerk said I was really close to set back limits, but that I was
OK. I found that really strange since I knew where my deck would end
and I knew where my lot line was and I didn't think I was even close.

I went home and measured and I was right. I then took a close look at
the map and realized that they had put my house almost 20' back on the
map from where it really belonged. I called the company that did the
tape survey and they sent out a crew with transits and measuring
wheels and tapes and spent hours crawling through back yards and up
and down the street and holy sh*t you'd think they were planning some
multi-billion dollar super secret government installation!

When they were done, they sent me a new map, with my house drawn
exactly where I though it should have been based on my quick
measurements with a 25' tape. Sure was fun to watch!

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sep 12, 2:51 pm, The dude wrote:
I have been getting quotes over $2,000 for a survey.

Is this normal? Something I really need for a basic fence?

In my town I can put the fence directly on the lot line, with the
proper permit in hand.

If I knew - without question - where my lot was, I wouldn't need a
survey.

Save for knowing - without question - where my lot line was, it would
behoove me to get a survey. If i want maximum space within the fence
without encroaching on the neighboring properties, I'd better know -
without question - where my lot line was.

It also depends on your neighbor. I once lived in a house that backed up to
a 200' wide power company transmission line property. I asked the power
company if I could encroach on their property a little bit. Here's what the
guy in the permit department told me:

"I can't give you permission to fence in our property. I can tell that we've
never ordered anyone to take down such a fence as you describe. But, and
this is a big 'but', if we have to come through there with heavy equipment
to repair a downed 200,000 volt transmission line, we're not going to let a
$500 fence stand in our way."

If it were me, I'd check with the neighbor and decide on a mutually
agreeable line of demarcation. Put the $2,000 toward the cost of the fence.

Posted to alt.home.repair
TH TH is offline

On Sep 12, 11:51*am, The dude wrote:
I have been getting quotes over $2,000 for a survey.

Is this normal? *Something I really need for a basic fence?

Depends on if its a new survey or just finding the metal rods from the
original survey.
I had a survey guy come out and locate all my boundary posts. Didn't
charge much more than a hundred bucks to do it.

-Tom
Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

dpb wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
The dude wrote:
I have been getting quotes over $2,000 for a survey.

Is this normal? *Something I really need for a basic fence?

I wouldn't. Just give it your best guess.

What's the worst that could happen?
That you end up having ceded over a fraction of your lot that could be a
sizable economic penalty at sale time.

Or, that the fence gets to be moved and redone on _your_ property at
whatever the appropriate setback is.

Either can be far more expensive than the $2K.

Whether need it or not depends on whether there's really a question as
to where the property line really is--which I gather there must be or
wouldn't be considering the question here.

Isn't there a corner marker/wasn't a survey done when you closed on the
house?

.... And we have a winner. It's routine to have the survey put down
flags or set a pin. Flags are probably better because a pin might get
into your way.

Depending on where the fence is going, don't forget to call UFPO. You
never know what they'll find.

Posted to alt.home.repair

There are no points.
This is an older property that is 3.5 acres.

A standard survey for closing is not a boundary.

So I can use the boundary for the closing also.

dpb wrote:
The dude wrote:
I have not closed on the house.

Instead of paying for 2 surveys, I want to combine the cost.

Well, if one is done, that would seem to suffice...why would there be two?

You do need to somehow (whether it's finding existing or a new) find the
actual points that define the boundary. Once you know them, you can
surely manage to do a setback from there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

it doesn't matter, he didn't have a boundary survey.

Only those will hold in court.

Ralph Mowery wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Sep 12, 3:27 pm, wrote:
[...]

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

The survey had beter be correct. If you have one done and it is not correct
and you build something by the survey and it is not correct, then the person
doing the survey has to make it right. Say you built your house by the
survey and later found 10 feet of the house was on your neighbor's property,
then the person doing the survey would need to buy the extra land or have
your house moved.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

The dude wrote:
Why would my neighbors utility cross 2 acres of horse pasture?

In the unlikely event the main actually is on the other side and an
easement was obtained to make the run shortest distance.

Nobody said it does, only that stranger things are possible and worth
checking on when purchasing property to determine if there are any
hidden "gotcha's" such as a utility easement that isn't obvious from
just looking.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

The dude wrote:
....[top posting repaired]...

Steve Barker DLT wrote:
Best to get the free locates anyway. Are your electric, phone, WATER,
and cable all overhead?

yes they are...

That's pretty unusual to have overhead water...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 13:51:24 -0500, The dude
wrote:

I have been getting quotes over $2,000 for a survey.

Is this normal? Something I really need for a basic fence?

Find the lot markers. A metal detector may help. Make sure the fence
is inside your property. Yeah, a survey can be $$$.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
The dude wrote:
...[top posting repaired]...

--

that's called rain in my area.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The dude wrote:
So I can assume the 20 year fence line is correct??
what if the neighbors move?

1. Check the adverse possession laws of your state. The property line may
have moved if 20 years have gone by.

2. A case can be made that the new owners agreed to the location of the
fence when they bought the property. It's not like it was hidden!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Be the first time _I_ ever saw an overhead feed for water..........

"The dude" wrote in message
. ..
yes they are...

Steve Barker DLT wrote:
Best to get the free locates anyway. Are your electric, phone, WATER,
and cable all overhead?

Posted to alt.home.repair

The water main coming down my street is 27' back into my front hay field.
I'm not thinking it would be good to bore into a 12" pvc line whilst
fencing.

"The dude" wrote in message
. ..
Why would my neighbors utility cross 2 acres of horse pasture?

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
The dude wrote:
...[top posting repaired]...

Steve Barker DLT wrote:
Best to get the free locates anyway. Are your electric, phone,
WATER, and cable all overhead?

yes they are...

That's pretty unusual to have overhead water...

--

its called a well... I have no water lines
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

The dude wrote:
dpb wrote:
The dude wrote:
...[top posting repaired]...

Steve Barker DLT wrote:
Best to get the free locates anyway. Are your electric, phone,
WATER, and cable all overhead?

yes they are...

That's pretty unusual to have overhead water...

--

its called a well... I have no water lines

Well, I'd guess there was a line anyway, even if not an external source.

But, it was a general principle being espoused, not the specific detail,
I just got a chuckle form the "all" overhead...

Posted to alt.home.repair

You have LINELESS water??? How's that work?

"The dude" wrote in message
. ..

its called a well... I have no water lines