Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Default Putting up fence - Do I need a boundry survey?

On Sep 12, 4:17*pm, wrote:
Have surveyors put markers. *Then its easy

On Sep 12, 3:52*pm, The dude wrote:

I have not closed on the house.

Instead of paying for 2 surveys, I want to combine the cost.

dpb wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
The dude wrote:
I have been getting quotes over $2,000 for a survey.

Is this normal? *Something I really need for a basic fence?

I wouldn't. Just give it your best guess.

What's the worst that could happen?
That you end up having ceded over a fraction of your lot that could be a
sizable economic penalty at sale time.

Or, that the fence gets to be moved and redone on _your_ property at
whatever the appropriate setback is.

Either can be far more expensive than the $2K.

Whether need it or not depends on whether there's really a question as
to where the property line really is--which I gather there must be or
wouldn't be considering the question here.

Isn't there a corner marker/wasn't a survey done when you closed on the
house?

.... And we have a winner. It's routine to have the survey put down
flags or set a pin. Flags are probably better because a pin might get
into your way.

Depending on where the fence is going, don't forget to call UFPO. You
never know what they'll find.