Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Putting up fence - Do I need a boundry survey?

"The dude" wrote in message
. ..
I have not closed on the house.

Instead of paying for 2 surveys, I want to combine the cost.

*Sounds like a good idea. You can pay the surveyor to drive stakes or you
can follow him around and put in your own stakes. If you haven't already
you should contact the town about the zoning for fences. There may be a
setback requirement.

dpb wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
The dude wrote:
I have been getting quotes over $2,000 for a survey.

Is this normal? Something I really need for a basic fence?

I wouldn't. Just give it your best guess.

What's the worst that could happen?

That you end up having ceded over a fraction of your lot that could be a
sizable economic penalty at sale time.

Or, that the fence gets to be moved and redone on _your_ property at
whatever the appropriate setback is.

Either can be far more expensive than the $2K.

Whether need it or not depends on whether there's really a question as to
where the property line really is--which I gather there must be or
wouldn't be considering the question here.

Isn't there a corner marker/wasn't a survey done when you closed on the
house?