Posted to alt.home.repair
The dude The dude is offline

Default Putting up fence - Do I need a boundry survey?

That is the difference between a standard survey and a boundary survey....

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sep 12, 3:27 pm, wrote:
On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 14:23:49 -0500, "Steve Barker DLT"

wrote:
You can usually find the survey pegs with a good metal detector if your area
is pegged. Otherwise, it's about $500 in our area for a survey. Find
someone you know in the biz and flip him a hundred.

Go to city hall and look up your plot. The surveyor who did the
original survey will be identified on it. If they are still in
business, it often saves you some money io have them update their
original work.

I found the guy who did one of my properties when the house was built
in 1952, and it cost me a LOT less in 1997 than any other quote I got.

I had to have a survey done before I closed. Apparently it was just an
updated tape survey cuz the previous owner told me some guys came out,
took a few measurements in the yard and left.

I thought all was well until a few months after closing I submitted a
copy of the map along with the plans for the deck I was building. The
town clerk said I was really close to set back limits, but that I was
OK. I found that really strange since I knew where my deck would end
and I knew where my lot line was and I didn't think I was even close.

I went home and measured and I was right. I then took a close look at
the map and realized that they had put my house almost 20' back on the
map from where it really belonged. I called the company that did the
tape survey and they sent out a crew with transits and measuring
wheels and tapes and spent hours crawling through back yards and up
and down the street and holy sh*t you'd think they were planning some
multi-billion dollar super secret government installation!

When they were done, they sent me a new map, with my house drawn
exactly where I though it should have been based on my quick
measurements with a 25' tape. Sure was fun to watch!