Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Putting up fence - Do I need a boundry survey?

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Sep 12, 3:27 pm, wrote:
I had to have a survey done before I closed. Apparently it was just an
updated tape survey cuz the previous owner told me some guys came out,
took a few measurements in the yard and left.

I thought all was well until a few months after closing I submitted a
copy of the map along with the plans for the deck I was building. The
town clerk said I was really close to set back limits, but that I was
OK. I found that really strange since I knew where my deck would end
and I knew where my lot line was and I didn't think I was even close.

I went home and measured and I was right. I then took a close look at
the map and realized that they had put my house almost 20' back on the
map from where it really belonged. I called the company that did the
tape survey and they sent out a crew with transits and measuring
wheels and tapes and spent hours crawling through back yards and up
and down the street and holy sh*t you'd think they were planning some
multi-billion dollar super secret government installation!

When they were done, they sent me a new map, with my house drawn
exactly where I though it should have been based on my quick
measurements with a 25' tape. Sure was fun to watch!

The survey had beter be correct. If you have one done and it is not correct
and you build something by the survey and it is not correct, then the person
doing the survey has to make it right. Say you built your house by the
survey and later found 10 feet of the house was on your neighbor's property,
then the person doing the survey would need to buy the extra land or have
your house moved.