Posted to alt.home.repair

Default a different way to repair car tire?

My tire is punctured by a small screw. I bought a tire plug repair kit, but
it seems like I have to first make the puncture hole *bigger* before I stick
in the plug.

Of the hundreds type of sealant/adhesive sold in home stores, is there one
that I can inject into the puncture (this won't make the hole bigger) and
would cure to the consistency of tire rubber?

Posted to alt.home.repair

john wrote:
My tire is punctured by a small screw. I bought a tire plug repair kit, but
it seems like I have to first make the puncture hole *bigger* before I stick
in the plug.

Of the hundreds type of sealant/adhesive sold in home stores, is there one
that I can inject into the puncture (this won't make the hole bigger) and
would cure to the consistency of tire rubber?

I don't think you want to mess with what works. Tire plugs have been
refined and perfected since the introduction of tubeless tires.

That said, a "proper" repair usually involves dismounting the tire and
*both* plugging and installing a patch on the inside of the tire casing...

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
john wrote:
My tire is punctured by a small screw. I bought a tire plug repair
kit, but it seems like I have to first make the puncture hole *bigger*
before I stick in the plug.

Of the hundreds type of sealant/adhesive sold in home stores, is there
one that I can inject into the puncture (this won't make the hole
bigger) and would cure to the consistency of tire rubber?

I don't think you want to mess with what works. Tire plugs have been
refined and perfected since the introduction of tubeless tires.

That said, a "proper" repair usually involves dismounting the tire and
*both* plugging and installing a patch on the inside of the tire casing...

nate

The guy at the last place where I had a flat fixed emphasized that the
plugs are hit or miss because they fail for various reasons including
being cut by the wires in the tire and they moved from using them and
apply patches as you described. They used a patch that had an integral
plug with a wire that they pulled through with a pair of pliers and cut
off because it was a large hole from a chunk of glass. With the
equipment they have it is a quick operation to pop off the tire, patch,
remount and balance it. And the guy wasn't trying to sell me on
anything. It wasn't big box but a local family owned tire place with a
half dozen locations and when I asked how much it was to fix the flat
the even though I wasn't sold any sort of extra insurance the guy said
"those are our tires that we sold you so the flat fix is no charge".
Posted to alt.home.repair

For the OP

Nate Nagel wrote:
john wrote:
My tire is punctured by a small screw. I bought a tire plug repair kit,
but it seems like I have to first make the puncture hole *bigger* before
I stick in the plug.

I am 58 years old and during that time I have had my fair share of tires
"plugged" in the exact manner you describe. this includes steel belted
radials.

HOWEVER, the last puncture I experienced was with a Michelin tire purchased
from Sam's Club. They would not plug it. They insisted on removing it from
the rim and Appling a large patch on the inside of the tire.

I really don't know if the standards have changed or they are just ultra
conservative in their approach.

At any rate if you are plugging, you have to make the hole larger to do it.
Been that way forever. Side note: that always bothered me also. Never was
a problem. I don't recall a single one of them ever failing.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 30, 8:24*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
For the OP

Nate Nagel wrote:
john wrote:
[...]

I think you will find that the vast majority of repair shops will now
patch as opposed to plug.

I've been told that although plugs rarely fail, patches never do.
They'd rather do the extra work, for really not that much more money,
as "insurance" that the repair won't fail.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Aug 30, 8:24 pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
For the OP

Nate Nagel wrote:
john wrote:
[...]

Plugs are greate if you want to do the repair yourself, but when you have a
machine within a few feet that can easily bust the tire down it makes no
sense not to use a patch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"john" wrote in message ...
My tire is punctured by a small screw. I bought a tire plug repair kit,
but it seems like I have to first make the puncture hole *bigger* before I
stick in the plug.

Of the hundreds type of sealant/adhesive sold in home stores, is there one
that I can inject into the puncture (this won't make the hole bigger) and
would cure to the consistency of tire rubber?

There are millions of tires plugged every year for the past 40 or 50 years.
Why do you think you know better? Follow the instructions or buy a new
tire.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 30, 9:54*pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"john" wrote in ...
My tire is punctured by a small screw. I bought a tire plug repair kit,
but it seems like I have to first make the puncture hole *bigger* before I
stick in the plug.

Of the hundreds type of sealant/adhesive sold in home stores, is there one
that I can inject into the puncture (this won't make the hole bigger) and
would cure to the consistency of tire rubber?

There are millions of tires plugged every year for the past 40 or 50 years.
Why do you think you know better? *Follow the instructions or buy a new
tire.

There are millions of tires plugged every year for the past 40 or
50 years.

Did you know that 97.3% of all statistics are made up on the spot?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 15:35:18 -0700, "john" wrote:

My tire is punctured by a small screw. I bought a tire plug repair kit, but
it seems like I have to first make the puncture hole *bigger* before I stick
in the plug.

Of the hundreds type of sealant/adhesive sold in home stores, is there one
that I can inject into the puncture (this won't make the hole bigger) and
would cure to the consistency of tire rubber?

My experience of 42 years in the tire business: 22% of the flats we
repaired were because of leaking plugs. Generally because the plug was
inserted at 90 degrees to the tread and most of the time the object
that penetrated the tire went in at some other angle. In effect, the
"repairer" created a second hole. This style of "repair" was a MAJOR
cause of ply separations.

Method of patching aside, you want to remove the tire and inspect the
inside. Maybe the nail that punctured the tread also chewed up the
sidewall when the tire went down. You plug the hole, air it up and
head down the road. That is when the weak spot on the sidewall gives
out.

So if you have the tire dismounted for inspection, why not use the
recommended procedure which is to plug the puncture to exclude
moisture from the steel cords and place a patch over the plug to seal
the air chamber?

No outside plug repair is considered permanent; even by the
manufacturer. Most tire manufacturers will not warranty a tire
separation caused by an improper repair unless you have bought one of
their warranty certificates; which, like all insurance, is prepaid
repair/replacement.

--Andy Asberry--
------Texas-----

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...
For the OP

Nate Nagel wrote:
john wrote:
My tire is punctured by a small screw. I bought a tire plug repair kit,
but it seems like I have to first make the puncture hole *bigger*
before I stick in the plug.

I am 58 years old and during that time I have had my fair share of tires
"plugged" in the exact manner you describe. this includes steel belted
radials.

HOWEVER, the last puncture I experienced was with a Michelin tire
purchased from Sam's Club. They would not plug it. They insisted on
removing it from the rim and Appling a large patch on the inside of the
tire.

I really don't know if the standards have changed or they are just ultra
conservative in their approach.

Around 1970 I worked at a Sears store changing tires and we used the patches
from the inside then. I did not know anything about why, but they just did
it that way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 30, 11:20*pm, Andy Asberry wrote:
[...]

Please, this is no place for a sensible and fact-filled answer from a
person with experience in the subject matter.

You'll give this group a bad name.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Andy Asberry" wrote in message

My experience of 42 years in the tire business:

Hey Andy, with all that experience you must have some idea of good or bad
brands. Care to mention them? I'll be in the market for tires next month.
I see prices from $129 to $239 for the same size.

Posted to alt.home.repair

if you want it to last, get it plugged on the inside .. if your
going to go ahead and put the string type plug from the outside, we use
the pvc cement on the plugs for mower tires .it works pretty good smells
like the tire plug glue you can buy .

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/30/08 11:20 pm Andy Asberry wrote:

[...]

I'm sure I had heard that steel-belted radials (which I suppose is what
all tires are these days) were not to be (in fact perhaps not even
*allowed* to be) plugged, so I was surprised that a tire repair place
was planning to plug a punctured tire. They insisted that plugging was
the standard method, and the tire did in fact last another 50K miles or
so before the whole set was replaced.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 01:10:49 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Andy Asberry" wrote in message

My experience of 42 years in the tire business:

Hey Andy, with all that experience you must have some idea of good or bad
brands. Care to mention them? I'll be in the market for tires next month.
I see prices from $129 to $239 for the same size.

I've been retired now for two years. That is enough time for the most
reputable manufacturer to go down the tubes.

A rock solid model of a tire could be ruined by changing manufacturing
plants. A new model introduced by a good company could be a dud.

I don't want this to sound like black magic but you get a feel for the
rubber of a tire. You can tell if it will (or won't) be long wearing
if it holds together.

Tread designs are another area that effect the life of a tire. Some
are more prone to irregular wear patterns. The same pattern may wear
well on the front but not on the rear...or the other way around. If
you don't need mud and snow rated tires, try to find a "highway" tread
or at least a pattern with an unbroken outer rib. No blocks.

Generally, in passenger tires, I would look at Goodyear, Michelin and
Dunlop. For light truck, it would be Bridgestone and Goodyear. Add
Michelin IF your driving is all on paved roads. Michelins have thin
sidewalls that are easily damaged by rocks and curbs. They do ride
good...for the same reason.

Medium duty trucks, Bridgestone and Goodyear. Again, Michelin if the
operating environment is clear of hazards. A surprise (for me) was the
Chinese tire Wanli. They seem to be holding up very well.

Motorhomes are somewhere between light and medium duty trucks. If the
driver can stay off curbs, Michelin is a good choice. Goodyear also
makes an RV tire.

Unless it is a safety issue, I hesitate to get in these "what's best"
discussions. If it works for you, stay with it. But you can't
realistically argue that it is right for everyone.

--Andy Asberry--
------Texas-----
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Andy Asberry" wrote in message
Generally, in passenger tires, I would look at Goodyear, Michelin and
Dunlop. For light truck, it would be Bridgestone and Goodyear. Add
Michelin IF your driving is all on paved roads. Michelins have thin
sidewalls that are easily damaged by rocks and curbs. They do ride
good...for the same reason.
--Andy Asberry--
------Texas-----

Thanks, The OEM is Michelin and at 42,000 miles I have no complaints. I'd
like to get a US made tire but that can be difficult to find these days as
brand does not mean much.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have repaired more than a few punctures over the years with silicone
rubber in a small tube. I jack up the car to raise the wheel, pull the nail
or screw, remove the valve stem, then squirt or push in just a little
silicone rubber into the hole and let sit overnight. Next day, I replace the
valve stem and use a pump to get the pressure up to about 20 lbs/sq inch and
drive to QuikTrip to add air (free) up to 35 lbs. I check the air pressure
every few days for a week just to make sure it worked. I haven't had any
leak so far.

"john" wrote in message ...
My tire is punctured by a small screw. I bought a tire plug repair kit,
but it seems like I have to first make the puncture hole *bigger* before I
stick in the plug.

Of the hundreds type of sealant/adhesive sold in home stores, is there one
that I can inject into the puncture (this won't make the hole bigger) and
would cure to the consistency of tire rubber?

Posted to alt.home.repair

HOWEVER, the last puncture I experienced was with a Michelin tire
purchased
from Sam's Club. They would not plug it. They insisted on removing it
from the rim and Appling a large patch on the inside of the tire.

I really don't know if the standards have changed or they are just ultra
conservative in their approach.

I think they re afraid of some liability issues if they just "plug it" and
it fails later, possibly causing an accident

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've plugged a dozen or so tires in my lifetime (NYC driving leads to
a lot of flats-- lots of debris on the road). I've never had a plug
fail.

BUT-- there is the possibility, and getting another flat (or worse, a
blowout at high speed) isn't worth it. So if I had a flat now I'd
have the tire patched or simply replace it. The cost in time and risk
of a plug failing? Not worth it. Because you know that if it does
happen it's going to be during heavy rain on the way to a job
interview or first date.

-Shaun Eli
www.BrainChampagne.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel posted for all of us...

That said, a "proper" repair usually involves dismounting the tire and
*both* plugging and installing a patch on the inside of the tire casing...

nate

THAT is the BEST repair.
--
Tekkie - I approve this advertisement/statement/utterance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 30, 10:35*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Aug 30, 8:24*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:

For the OP

Nate Nagel wrote:
john wrote:
[...]

as "insurance" that the repair won't fail.- Hide quoted text -

In this jurisdiction (a Canadian province) it is our understanding
that plugging is at best a temporary fix. Maybe to help limp along at
reduced speed to a location where tyre can be completely replaced or a
'proper' repair made. Also plugging a radial tyre is not a 'legal'
repair.
Any 'reputable' repair shop/service station will insist on removing
tyre, patching (possibly hot patching, the inside of the tyre) with a
patch several times the size of the hole. That also means reinstalling
and rebalancing the tyre/wheel.
Don't risk plugging it for the sake of a few dollars!
And don't go out and drive at 60 mph on a plugged tyre! If something
happened and the plug was found, following say, an accident, it could
affect insurance and be considered reason for legal liability!
e.g. Wot happened? "Oh there was this driver and he had a plugged tyre
and ........ Nasty accident but only two of em were killed. Etc.
Etc."
Of course it won't happen to one of us. Always the 'other' driver!

The tire came off my B.S. Lowell Holmes Woodworking 7 February 16th 08 05:11 PM
Tire repair question Bewildered Home Repair 15 January 19th 07 05:44 AM
Tubeless tire repair Dan Home Repair 16 October 5th 06 01:54 PM
band saw tire darkon Woodworking 26 August 10th 05 04:51 PM