Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default a different way to repair car tire?

On Aug 30, 10:35*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Aug 30, 8:24*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:

For the OP

Nate Nagel wrote:
john wrote:
My tire is punctured by a small screw. I bought a tire plug repair kit,
but it seems like I have to first make the puncture hole *bigger* before
I stick in the plug.

I am 58 years old and during that time I have had my fair share of tires
"plugged" in the exact manner you describe. this includes steel belted
radials.

HOWEVER, the last puncture I experienced was with a Michelin tire purchased
from Sam's Club. *They would not plug it. *They insisted on removing it from
the rim and Appling a large patch on the inside of the tire.

I really don't know if the standards have changed or they are just ultra
conservative in their approach.

At any rate *if you are plugging, you have to make the hole larger to do it.
Been that way forever. *Side note: *that always bothered me also. *Never was
a problem. I don't recall a single one of them ever failing.

Colbyt

I really don't know if the standards have changed or they are just
ultra conservative in their approach.

I think you will find that the vast majority of repair shops will now
patch as opposed to plug.

I've been told that although plugs rarely fail, patches never do.
They'd rather do the extra work, for really not that much more money,
as "insurance" that the repair won't fail.- Hide quoted text -

In this jurisdiction (a Canadian province) it is our understanding
that plugging is at best a temporary fix. Maybe to help limp along at
reduced speed to a location where tyre can be completely replaced or a
'proper' repair made. Also plugging a radial tyre is not a 'legal'
repair.
Any 'reputable' repair shop/service station will insist on removing
tyre, patching (possibly hot patching, the inside of the tyre) with a
patch several times the size of the hole. That also means reinstalling
and rebalancing the tyre/wheel.
Don't risk plugging it for the sake of a few dollars!
And don't go out and drive at 60 mph on a plugged tyre! If something
happened and the plug was found, following say, an accident, it could
affect insurance and be considered reason for legal liability!
e.g. Wot happened? "Oh there was this driver and he had a plugged tyre
and ........ Nasty accident but only two of em were killed. Etc.
Etc."
Of course it won't happen to one of us. Always the 'other' driver!