Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default a different way to repair car tire?

Nate Nagel wrote:
john wrote:
My tire is punctured by a small screw. I bought a tire plug repair
kit, but it seems like I have to first make the puncture hole *bigger*
before I stick in the plug.

Of the hundreds type of sealant/adhesive sold in home stores, is there
one that I can inject into the puncture (this won't make the hole
bigger) and would cure to the consistency of tire rubber?

I don't think you want to mess with what works. Tire plugs have been
refined and perfected since the introduction of tubeless tires.

That said, a "proper" repair usually involves dismounting the tire and
*both* plugging and installing a patch on the inside of the tire casing...

nate

The guy at the last place where I had a flat fixed emphasized that the
plugs are hit or miss because they fail for various reasons including
being cut by the wires in the tire and they moved from using them and
apply patches as you described. They used a patch that had an integral
plug with a wire that they pulled through with a pair of pliers and cut
off because it was a large hole from a chunk of glass. With the
equipment they have it is a quick operation to pop off the tire, patch,
remount and balance it. And the guy wasn't trying to sell me on
anything. It wasn't big box but a local family owned tire place with a
half dozen locations and when I asked how much it was to fix the flat
the even though I wasn't sold any sort of extra insurance the guy said
"those are our tires that we sold you so the flat fix is no charge".