Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default a different way to repair car tire?

"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...
For the OP

Nate Nagel wrote:
john wrote:
My tire is punctured by a small screw. I bought a tire plug repair kit,
but it seems like I have to first make the puncture hole *bigger*
before I stick in the plug.

I am 58 years old and during that time I have had my fair share of tires
"plugged" in the exact manner you describe. this includes steel belted
radials.

HOWEVER, the last puncture I experienced was with a Michelin tire
purchased from Sam's Club. They would not plug it. They insisted on
removing it from the rim and Appling a large patch on the inside of the
tire.

I really don't know if the standards have changed or they are just ultra
conservative in their approach.

Around 1970 I worked at a Sears store changing tires and we used the patches
from the inside then. I did not know anything about why, but they just did
it that way.