Posted to alt.home.repair
Andy Asberry Andy Asberry is offline

Default a different way to repair car tire?

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 01:10:49 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Andy Asberry" wrote in message

My experience of 42 years in the tire business:

Hey Andy, with all that experience you must have some idea of good or bad
brands. Care to mention them? I'll be in the market for tires next month.
I see prices from $129 to $239 for the same size.

I've been retired now for two years. That is enough time for the most
reputable manufacturer to go down the tubes.

A rock solid model of a tire could be ruined by changing manufacturing
plants. A new model introduced by a good company could be a dud.

I don't want this to sound like black magic but you get a feel for the
rubber of a tire. You can tell if it will (or won't) be long wearing
if it holds together.

Tread designs are another area that effect the life of a tire. Some
are more prone to irregular wear patterns. The same pattern may wear
well on the front but not on the rear...or the other way around. If
you don't need mud and snow rated tires, try to find a "highway" tread
or at least a pattern with an unbroken outer rib. No blocks.

Generally, in passenger tires, I would look at Goodyear, Michelin and
Dunlop. For light truck, it would be Bridgestone and Goodyear. Add
Michelin IF your driving is all on paved roads. Michelins have thin
sidewalls that are easily damaged by rocks and curbs. They do ride
good...for the same reason.

Medium duty trucks, Bridgestone and Goodyear. Again, Michelin if the
operating environment is clear of hazards. A surprise (for me) was the
Chinese tire Wanli. They seem to be holding up very well.

Motorhomes are somewhere between light and medium duty trucks. If the
driver can stay off curbs, Michelin is a good choice. Goodyear also
makes an RV tire.

Unless it is a safety issue, I hesitate to get in these "what's best"
discussions. If it works for you, stay with it. But you can't
realistically argue that it is right for everyone.

--Andy Asberry--