Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,alt.checkmate,soc.penpals

Default SCOTT ASKS ABOUT "3 prong outlet, which way is up?"

Checkmate! In article ,
says...

On 2019-07-03 4:23 p.m., Checkmate wrote:
Checkmate! In article ,

says...

On 2019-07-03 3:58 p.m., Checkmate wrote:
Checkmate! In article ,

says...

On 2019-07-03 10:30 a.m., Sir Gregory Hall, Esq. wrote:
On Wed, 3 Jul 2019 10:25:36 -0700, "Colonel Edmund J. Burke" wrote:
On 7/3/2019 10:11 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Ed Pawlowski writes:
On 7/3/2019 9:44 AM, Enzo the shock therapist wrote:
replying to john, Enzo the shock therapist wrote:
the ground should be closer to the ground. shorter distance, less chance of
burnt coins.

I was visiting in a hospital last week. It was built about 10 years
ago. Every outlet was prong up.

That's the way I was taught as well. The reasoning was that if a
plug was not completely inserted, any falling metal objects would
contact the grounding conductor instead of shorting the hot and grounded
conductors.

A few months ago I explained this in detail. As an expert electrician, I always put the ground thingy pointing up.

Darlene just loves thingy's that are pointing up...
LOL

and me and she said so

All the wackadoodle girls are in love with you. Maybe you emit some special
fairy-moans or something.

the only girls that come here are whack a doodles ,
but i have the same effect on all the girls

I'll just bet you do. With moves like these, how could you NOT be?

https://youtu.be/fGXSRISBu3Y

we already covered that neither of us dance so it's likely not that

Yeah, but I imagined that if'n you DID dance, it would go something like
that. I can't even figure out how to Moon Walk.

--
Checkmate
Copyright 2019

Author, Humorist, Cynic
Philosopher, Humanitarian
Poet, Elektrishun to the Stars
Usenet Shot-Caller

In loving memory of The Battle Kitten
May 2010-February 12, 2017
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,alt.checkmate,soc.penpals
% % is offline

On 2019-07-03 9:10 p.m., Checkmate wrote:
Checkmate! In article ,
says...

On 2019-07-03 4:23 p.m., Checkmate wrote:
Checkmate! In article ,

says...

On 2019-07-03 3:58 p.m., Checkmate wrote:
Checkmate! In article ,

says...

Ed Pawlowski writes:
[...]

i don't even think about moon walking until someone says it
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,alt.checkmate,soc.penpals

On Wed, 3 Jul 2019 21:10:54 -0700, Checkmate wrote:

Yeah, but I imagined that if'n you DID dance, it would go something like
that. I can't even figure out how to Moon Walk.

Watch some YouTubes of hawt, fit babes doing
shuffle dance. They have made an art out of
Moon Walking with some extra bounces.

--
Yours Truly, Sir Gregory

Nadegda, kensi and Pandora » the three are easily
ignored misandrists and anti-American, leftist liars.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,alt.checkmate,soc.penpals

Checkmate! In article ,
says...

On 2019-07-03 9:10 p.m., Checkmate wrote:
Checkmate! In article ,

says...

On 2019-07-03 4:23 p.m., Checkmate wrote:
Checkmate! In article ,

says...

On 2019-07-03 3:58 p.m., Checkmate wrote:
Checkmate! In article ,

says...

Ed Pawlowski writes:
[...]

Well I've tried it, even watching Michael Jackson in slo-mo, and it's a lot
harder than it looks.

--
Checkmate
Copyright 2019
all rights reserved

Author, Humorist, Cynic
Philosopher, Humanitarian
Poet, Elektrishun to the Stars
Usenet Shot-Caller

In loving memory of The Battle Kitten
May 2010-February 12, 2017
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 3 prong outlet, which way is up?

replying to PanHandler, Joseph Durand wrote:
According to the latest version of the NEC codes.
The ground goes on top.
However molded plug cords are made for it to be on the bottom.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...up-327947-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 6 Jul 2019 15:14:01 +0000, Joseph Durand
m wrote:

replying to PanHandler, Joseph Durand wrote:
According to the latest version of the NEC codes.
The ground goes on top.

Cite that please.

The NEC and U/L are both silent on the orientation of a NEMA 5-15r or
any other receptacle for that matter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/7/2019 12:02 AM, wrote:
On Sat, 6 Jul 2019 21:41:09 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 7/6/2019 7:34 PM,

The face up on a counter thing has been in the code for decades.
You can go read the ROP to see proposals about ground pin orientation
on receptacles and CMP18 consistently rejects them as not being
something the code should address.

Yeah, but they've added additional restrictions more recently, besides,
essentially eliminating at all excepting for special fixtures for purpose.

For years the go to receptacle for a counter without a back splash
(Peninsula/Island) was the tombstone. There is also an exception that
lets you put it on the cabinet face below the counter if that is all
you have.
I can't remember when a face up receptacle was ever legal on a counter
top. I would have to go back to an older book than I have on this PC
to see how long that was true. I think the most recent rule was no
face up receptacles in showcases but I am not sure. I never liked them
and really never saw one for me to fail.

You seem to be thinking I said something I didn't -- I just pointed out
the increased prohibition against locations in 2014(?) that extends the
countertop faceup ban from just applying to dwelling units to any type
of occupancy as well as a new restriction against in seating areas (like
those in some airports, etc., unless they use the (also newly included)
listed receptacle assemblies /GFCI receptacle assemblies for countertop
application.

I suppose it is possible to have read that the whole thing was new, but
that wasn't the intent...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 7 Jul 2019 07:23:59 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 7/7/2019 12:02 AM, wrote:
[...]

OK got you, sorry for any confusion.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to PanHandler, GaryB wrote:
I agree. Some years ago my helper and I were measuring a wall with a tape
measure. The tape measure slipped from my helpers hands, and went between a
plug and the outlet (installed ground downward), and the outlet sparked and
shorted out. A big chunk of my metal measuring tape was missing. Not a big
deal, but ever since, I install outlets with the ground on the up side.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...up-327947-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,alt.checkmate

On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 09:54:23 -0700, "fake vet Afro-Eyetalian Scatboi
Colon La Edmund J. Burke" wrote:

On 7/12/2019 9:52 AM, Colonel Edmund J. Burke wrote:
On 7/6/2019 8:14 AM, Joseph Durand wrote:
replying to PanHandler, Joseph Durand wrote:
According to the latest version of the* NEC codes.
The ground goes on top.
However molded plug cords are made for it to be on the bottom.

This proves what Your Colonel has said all along.
Now, ANY QUESTIONS???

p.s. I told you guys I am an expert elektrician, didn't I?

You don't even know the difference between neutral and ground, you
dumb darkie! Where de elektrickity go?

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,alt.checkmate

On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 15:43:53 -0700, "fake vet Afro-Eyetalian Scatboi

On 7/12/2019 11:17 AM, jew pedophile Ron Jacobson (jew pedophile Baruch 'Barry' Shein's jew aliash)! wrote:
On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 09:54:23 -0700, "fake vet Afro-Eyetalian Scatboi
Colon La Edmund J. Burke" wrote:

On 7/12/2019 9:52 AM, Colonel Edmund J. Burke wrote:
On 7/6/2019 8:14 AM, Joseph Durand wrote:
replying to PanHandler, Joseph Durand wrote:
According to the latest version of the* NEC codes.
The ground goes on top.
However molded plug cords are made for it to be on the bottom.

This proves what Your Colonel has said all along.
Now, ANY QUESTIONS???

p.s. I told you guys I am an expert elektrician, didn't I?

You don't even know the difference between neutral and ground, you
dumb darkie! Where de elektrickity go?

Which 'lectricity, you dumb pollock?

De one which start at hot, you dumb ape!
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to GaryB, Pete wrote:
I was always told in school and daycare construction the outlets must be
installed ground up for similar reasons.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...up-327947-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Jul 2019 09:44:02 +0000, Pete
m wrote:

replying to GaryB, Pete wrote:
I was always told in school and daycare construction the outlets must be
installed ground up for similar reasons.

It is not in the Florida SREF (State Requirements for Educational
Facilities). It never even came up in the last 24 hour CEU course I
took.

Posted to alt.war.vietnam,alt.slack,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Jul 2019 08:50:30 -0700, "fake vet Afro-Eyetalian Scatboi

On 7/13/2019 5:26 AM, jew pedophile Ron Jacobson (jew pedophile Baruch 'Barry' Shein's jew aliash)! wrote:
[...]

Mebbe it goes uppa you ass!

It could go uppa yers, but it's full of cucumbers!
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
wrote:

On Wed, 24 Jul 2019 11:42:10 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

m wrote:

replying to GaryB, Pete wrote:
I was always told in school and daycare construction the outlets must be
installed ground up for similar reasons.

It is not in the Florida SREF (State Requirements for Educational
Facilities). It never even came up in the last 24 hour CEU course I
took.

Also in Florida - -
I mentioned before that in a hospital they were all pin up. I was since
at another hospital and they also had them pin up.

I never heard that in the ACHA rules but it may be a convention. I
notice they usually display hospital grade receptacles pin up in some
catalogs where the normal ones are pin down.

My house was built a year ago and they are pin down except for the ones
that are switched.

Confusing. If I buy a new extention cord should I get one with the pin
up or down?

Usually the only angle plugs made pin up are extension cords meant for
window shakers and some appliances. I guess they assume the receptacle
is lower than the equipment connection.

My Florida house was renovated in 2000. All outlets except for the
washing machine were installed pin-down. That outlet is higher than the
washing machine. The plug was up-side-down so I turned the outlet to
pin-down.

The refrigerator outlet is pin-down, but the plug is up-side-down. That
outlet is also high on the wall. I've never bothered to change it.

Fred
Posted to alt.home.repair

Wade Garrett posted for all of us...

bought a book on eBay called "How to scam idiots on eBay?. That was 3
months ago, and it's still not arrived yet!

I have a rare copy I can send you for $50.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/25/19 3:13 PM, Tekkie wrote:

[snip]

As to the question in the subject line, "up" is the direction opposite
to "down".

You can determine "down" for yourself, it is the direction things move
in "by themselves" when no longer supported.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/25/19 3:13 PM, Tekkie wrote:
Wade Garrett posted for all of us...

bought a book on eBay called "How to scam idiots on eBay?. That was 3
months ago, and it's still not arrived yet!

I have a rare copy I can send you for $50.

Here's 50 theoretical dollars.

--
"All our experience with history should teach us, when we look back, how
badly human wisdom is betrayed when it relies on itself." [Martin Luther
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to DerbyDad03, DenB wrote:
Are you sure? Neutral is on the right as you face it.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...up-327947-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to john, Perps wrote:
The ground prong is longer. When a cord hangs down and may start to unplug,
the ground is the last to break circuit. First in last out. Safety first.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...up-327947-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to john, Shawn OShea wrote:
Somewhere around 2005 I took a class on residential wiring and codes.
According to the 2002 ( I think) N.E.C all vertically mounted outlets, both
single and duplex, requires the ground prong to be at the top. Horizontally
mounted must have the (Common) or (Big) prong at the top.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...up-327947-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/13/2020 1:14 PM, Shawn OShea wrote:
replying to john, Shawn OShea wrote:
Somewhere around 2005 I took a class on residential wiring and codes.
According to the 2002 ( I think) N.E.C all vertically mounted outlets, both
single and duplex, requires the ground prong to be at the top. Horizontally
mounted must have the (Common) or (Big) prong at the top.

Not true. My house was built a year ago and all are down. As are the
other 400 houses here.

In offices, some inspectors like them up in case a paper clip falls on a
plug and crosses the terminals if not fully seated.

The switched outlets are ground up so you can tell them apart by looking.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski writes:
On 1/13/2020 1:14 PM, Shawn OShea wrote:
replying to john, Shawn OShea wrote:
Somewhere around 2005 I took a class on residential wiring and codes.
According to the 2002 ( I think) N.E.C all vertically mounted outlets, both
single and duplex, requires the ground prong to be at the top. Horizontally
mounted must have the (Common) or (Big) prong at the top.

Not true. My house was built a year ago and all are down. As are the
other 400 houses here.

Are you saying that the NEC doesn't require that? A single example
doesn't invalidate the rule; nor confirm it (my house, built in 1970,
has them all correctly oriented with the grounding pin at the top).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/13/2020 4:17 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Ed Pawlowski writes:
On 1/13/2020 1:14 PM, Shawn OShea wrote:
replying to john, Shawn OShea wrote:
Somewhere around 2005 I took a class on residential wiring and codes.
According to the 2002 ( I think) N.E.C all vertically mounted outlets, both
single and duplex, requires the ground prong to be at the top. Horizontally
mounted must have the (Common) or (Big) prong at the top.

Not true. My house was built a year ago and all are down. As are the
other 400 houses here.

Are you saying that the NEC doesn't require that? A single example
doesn't invalidate the rule; nor confirm it (my house, built in 1970,
has them all correctly oriented with the grounding pin at the top).

I've never seen it required. My house built in 1978 had them down too.
I mentioned the office because when we did major work in our office in
about 2005 the electrician said it was not required but the local
inspector wanted them that way so he did.

The question has come up here a few times an no one vear posted a
requirement either, I just checked with Mr. Google and he does not care.
The electrical code allows outlets to be installed with the ground plug
hole facing up, down or sideways. It's up to you, there is no standard
electric outlet orientation. So that means there really is no such thing
as upside down outlets.

Archtoobox
Ground Pin Up or Ground Pin Down?
There is an age-old debate about whether an electrical outlet should be
mounted with the ground pin up or down. Unfortunately, there is not a
fully accepted answer. However, it is commonly accepted that the
National Electrical Code (NEC) of the United States (NFPA 70), does not
provide any specific direction for the orientation of the outlet. We
recommend checking local codes to make sure there aren't any local code
requirements.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski writes:
On 1/13/2020 1:14 PM, Shawn OShea wrote:
replying to john, Shawn OShea wrote:
Somewhere around 2005 I took a class on residential wiring and codes.
According to the 2002 ( I think) N.E.C all vertically mounted outlets, both
single and duplex, requires the ground prong to be at the top. Horizontally
mounted must have the (Common) or (Big) prong at the top.

Not true. My house was built a year ago and all are down. As are the
other 400 houses here.

Are you saying that the NEC doesn't require that? A single example
doesn't invalidate the rule; nor confirm it (my house, built in 1970,
has them all correctly oriented with the grounding pin at the top).

If I may....it is not code, which means the NEC doesn't require nor
disfavor the practice. As Ed stated, it's main intent was to avoid a
metal object (paper clip) from falling down the wall onto the two
terminals. A ground plug on top would eliminate that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/13/2020 4:54 PM, Hawk wrote:

If I may....it is not code, which means the NEC doesn't require nor
disfavor the practice. As Ed stated, it's main intent was to avoid a
metal object (paper clip) from falling down the wall onto the two
terminals. A ground plug on top would eliminate that.

Not necessarily, no. It could land on the plug ground and the hot side
and weld itself there on the way by...not quite as likely, perhaps, but
not eliminated...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ground on top - but most people prefer their outlets to look like
a human face, so they're installed - technically - upside-down.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

In offices, some inspectors like them up in case a paper clip falls on a
plug and crosses the terminals if not fully seated.

The switched outlets are ground up so you can tell them apart by looking.

What do you do when only one half of the duplex is switched?