Old August 28th 08, 09:59 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default 3 prong outlet, which way is up?

Does the 2008 NEC specify which way to orient 3-prong outlets?

Should it be

ground on top
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...with_label.jpg

or

ground on bottom
http://images.jupiterimages.com/comm...4/23433400.jpg

?

The tradition seems to be ground on bottom, but I heard it is safer to have
ground on top so falling coins are less likely to short out a loosely
plugged in plug.

Old August 28th 08, 10:31 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"john" wrote in message ...
Does the 2008 NEC specify which way to orient 3-prong outlets?
The tradition seems to be ground on bottom, but I heard it is safer to
have ground on top so falling coins are less likely to short out a loosely
plugged in plug.

Ground down. How often do dropped coins slide down a wall?

Old August 28th 08, 11:15 PM posted to alt.home.repair

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...2/Electrical_o...

or

ground on bottom
http://images.jupiterimages.com/comm...4/23433400.jpg

?

The tradition seems to be ground on bottom, but I heard it is safer to
have ground on top so falling coins are less likely to short out a loosely
plugged in plug.- Hide quoted text -

But little kids dont think its a face. When my daughter was little the
only outlet in her room that she could see frightened her until I
turned it with the ground up.

Jimmie
Old August 29th 08, 12:13 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/28/2008 3:07 PM Steve Barker DLT spake thus:

Ground down. the other way looks stupid.

That's probably as good as answer as any (basically, "it's completely
arbitrary, so orient it the way 99% of other outlets are oriented".)

However, there are good reasons to put them in "upside down" (i.e.,
ground pin up). Last time I was in a hospital, I noticed that almost all
the outlets were "upside down", and later heard/read that this is to
prevent sparks and shocks should a metal implement fall down along the
wall and contact a plug in an outlet. Makes sense. I'm even starting to
put in some outlets this way.

Oh, and I've also noticed that having the ground pin on top tends to
hold 3-prong plugs in the outlet more tightly and resist the plug
falling out, like when you're using an extension cord and tug on it.

--
"In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: 'Elect me president, and I
population into concentration camps and turn the country into a

- Characterization (paraphrased) of the 1964 Goldwater/Johnson
presidential race by Professor Irwin Corey, "The World's Foremost
Authority".

Old August 29th 08, 12:19 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 13:59:39 -0700, "john" wrote:

Does the 2008 NEC specify which way to orient 3-prong outlets?

Should it be

ground on top
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...with_label.jpg

or

ground on bottom
http://images.jupiterimages.com/comm...4/23433400.jpg

?

The tradition seems to be ground on bottom, but I heard it is safer to have
ground on top so falling coins are less likely to short out a loosely
plugged in plug.

I prefer the ground at the bottom. All outlets should have the same
orientation.
Old August 29th 08, 12:20 AM posted to alt.home.repair

JIMMIE wrote:
But little kids dont think its a face. When my daughter was little the
only outlet in her room that she could see frightened her until I
turned it with the ground up.

Yahbut, it's good that little kids are frightened of outlets? Perhaps
you should've plugged in those little plastic 'childproofers' into
the outlets to disguise them? g

Old August 29th 08, 12:44 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker DLT" wrote in message
Ground down. the other way looks stupid.

Horizontally. Then everybody can obsess about trivialities. Geesh!

Old August 29th 08, 01:01 AM posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 13:59:39 -0700, "john" wrote:

Does the 2008 NEC specify which way to orient 3-prong outlets?

Should it be

ground on top
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...with_label.jpg

or

ground on bottom
http://images.jupiterimages.com/comm...4/23433400.jpg

Discussions here have centered around ground down, except when the
outlet is on a wall switch. I doubt most people would know that
code if they didn't own the home when it was under construction, but
those who pay attention could notice the difference and ask or figure
it out.

I have 3 receptacles on wall switches. I should check them..... The
one I can get to is ground down, like the other outlets in the house.
That's what happens when the electrician is a durn furiner.

The tradition seems to be ground on bottom, but I heard it is safer to have
ground on top so falling coins are less likely to short out a loosely
plugged in plug.

I read that here too, and is my nature, I believe things when I first
hear them. But in my life, I've only dropped coins in the middle of
the bedroom when I take off my pants, and off the front edge of
kitchen table. I also don't have any loosely plugged in plugs, and
if I did, I can't imagine a coin getting in one.

Old August 29th 08, 01:04 AM posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 17:07:02 -0500, "Steve Barker DLT"
wrote:

Ground down. the other way looks stupid.

But that wouldn't be true if we grew up standing on our heads.