Old August 29th 08, 06:33 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default 3 prong outlet, which way is up? NOT AGAIN!!!!!

"Tekkie®" wrote in message
. ..
john posted for all of us...

Does the 2008 NEC specify which way to orient 3-prong outlets?

Should it be

ground on top
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...with_label.jpg

or

ground on bottom
http://images.jupiterimages.com/comm...4/23433400.jpg

?

The tradition seems to be ground on bottom, but I heard it is safer to
have
ground on top so falling coins are less likely to short out a loosely
plugged in plug.

What is this? About the 3 billionth time this has been discussed?

So what?
Tony
--
Tekkie - I approve this advertisement/statement/utterance.

Old August 29th 08, 09:42 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default 3 prong outlet, which way is up?

In article ,
"Rick Brandt" wrote:

Steve Barker DLT wrote:
Ground down. the other way looks stupid.

Also to be considered is that plugs mounted 90 degrees to the cord don't
work very well with ground at the top.

Excellent point.
Old August 29th 08, 02:06 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 28, 9:00*pm, "Steve Barker DLT"
wrote:
www.tworivershospital.com/

"JIMMIE" wrote in message

But little kids dont think its a face. When my daughter was little the
only outlet in her room that she could see frightened her until I
turned it with the ground up.

Jimmie

Steve,

Thank you for the link to the Two Rivers Hospital site, but I couldn't
find anything about ground-prong orientation on any of their pages. I
even checked the FAQ - nothing there about receptacle installation.

Oh, gotta go. The short bus just pulled up. I'll read your response
later.

D*mn, where's my helmet?

Old August 29th 08, 02:11 PM posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Aug 28, 9:35*pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"PanHandler" wrote in message

news

"Steve Barker DLT" wrote in message
Ground down. *the other way looks stupid.

Horizontally. Then everybody can obsess about trivialities. Geesh!

Ground left or right? *Please advise.

Left, so the neutral is up. (following the same reasoning that would
indicate that the ground should be up when installed vertically.)

nate
Old August 29th 08, 02:14 PM posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...2/Electrical_o...

or

ground on bottom
http://images.jupiterimages.com/comm...4/23433400.jpg

Discussions here have centered around ground down, except when the
outlet is on a wall switch. * I *doubt most people would know that
code if they didn't own the home when it was under construction, but
those who pay attention could notice the difference and ask or figure
it out.

I have 3 receptacles on wall switches. I should check them..... *The
one I can get to is ground down, like the other outlets in the house.
That's what happens when the electrician is a durn furiner.

The tradition seems to be ground on bottom, but I heard it is safer to have
ground on top so falling coins are less likely to short out a loosely
plugged in plug.

I read that here too, and is my nature, I believe things when I first
hear them. * But in my life, I've only dropped coins in the middle of
the bedroom when I take off my pants, and off the front edge of
kitchen table. * I also don't have any loosely plugged in plugs, and
if I did, I can't imagine a coin getting in one. *

The reasoning I heard was that if you use metal cover plates and the
screw that secures the cover plate comes loose, the cover could
actually slide down and if you weren't paying attention could hit the
prongs of a plug as it's being removed. With the ground up this is
harmless; with the ground down you could energize the cover plate and/
or short the hot and neutral prongs of the plug if it fell just so.
An infinetesimally rare possibility, but a non-zero one.

nate

Old August 29th 08, 02:29 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 28, 4:59*pm, "john" wrote:
Does the 2008 NEC specify which way to orient 3-prong outlets?

Should it be

ground on tophttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/42/Electrical_o...

or

ground on bottomhttp://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/00/34/23433400.jpg

?

The tradition seems to be ground on bottom, but I heard it is safer to have
ground on top so falling coins are less likely to short out a loosely
plugged in plug.

Years ago I worked at a factory where the electricians were required
to install all outlets ground up. I was told that since there was more
of a chance that a metal object would come in contact with a loose
plug from the top than from the bottom, and since in the vast majority
of the installations the type of cord would not be an issue, they
opted for the "safer" method.

In other words, if it makes the factory just a tad bit safer, and
really has no other impact (other then writing it up in the procedure
manual) then why not?

Old August 29th 08, 02:45 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 28, 6:07*pm, "Steve Barker DLT"
wrote:
Ground down. *the other way looks stupid.

I would have to guess the other way looks stupid because nearly
every one is installed the other way.

There are only two arguments that seem to make sense.

Ground up, does appear to have a slight safety advantage. Notice
I did say SLIGHT.

Ground up does not work well with all plugs (then again ground
down does not work well with some other plugs.)

I don't intend to loose sleep over it, but all my plugs that get
added or worked on are ground up.
Old August 29th 08, 03:11 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 29, 9:45*am, wrote:
On Aug 28, 6:07*pm, "Steve Barker wrote:
Ground down. *the other way looks stupid.

* * I would have to guess the other way looks stupid because nearly
every one is installed the other way.

* * There are only two arguments that seem to make sense.

* * Ground up, does appear to have a slight safety advantage. *Notice
I did say SLIGHT.

* * Ground up does not work well with all plugs (then again ground
down does not work well with some other plugs.)

* * I don't intend to loose sleep over it, but all my plugs that get
added or worked on are ground up.

I find it funny that the NEC seems to cover every detail you could
think of, but not this one.

Mark

Old August 29th 08, 03:52 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Aug 28, 6:44*pm, "PanHandler" wrote:
"Steve Barker DLT" wrote in ...

Ground down. *the other way looks stupid.

Horizontally. Then everybody can obsess about trivialities. Geesh!

Preferred orientation then is on the left. More info page 240,
Traister's ' Electrical Wiring' ISBN1-57218-092-7 at your local
library. The Pass & Seymour/Legrand product catalog shows all
receptacles in the vertical mode with ground at top. Note the ground
position on receptacles at a hospital next time you visit...grounds at
top.

Joe
Old August 29th 08, 04:50 PM posted to alt.home.repair

I never paid much attention but just a couple months ago a metal
hangar fell behind a dresser. There was a big flash and a breaker
blew. The plug behind the dresser was not plugged in all the way and
luck would have it the hanger shorted out the contacts.