DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   3 prong outlet, which way is up? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/258970-3-prong-outlet-way-up.html)

John August 28th 08 09:59 PM

3 prong outlet, which way is up?

Does the 2008 NEC specify which way to orient 3-prong outlets?

Should it be

ground on top
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...with_label.jpg

or

ground on bottom
http://images.jupiterimages.com/comm...4/23433400.jpg

?

The tradition seems to be ground on bottom, but I heard it is safer to have
ground on top so falling coins are less likely to short out a loosely
plugged in plug.

PanHandler[_2_] August 28th 08 10:31 PM

"john" wrote in message ...
Does the 2008 NEC specify which way to orient 3-prong outlets?
The tradition seems to be ground on bottom, but I heard it is safer to
have ground on top so falling coins are less likely to short out a loosely
plugged in plug.

Ground down. How often do dropped coins slide down a wall?

JIMMIE August 28th 08 11:15 PM

3 prong outlet, which way is up?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...2/Electrical_o...

or

ground on bottom
http://images.jupiterimages.com/comm...4/23433400.jpg

?

The tradition seems to be ground on bottom, but I heard it is safer to
have ground on top so falling coins are less likely to short out a loosely
plugged in plug.- Hide quoted text -

But little kids dont think its a face. When my daughter was little the
only outlet in her room that she could see frightened her until I
turned it with the ground up.

Jimmie

David Nebenzahl August 29th 08 12:13 AM

3 prong outlet, which way is up?

On 8/28/2008 3:07 PM Steve Barker DLT spake thus:

Ground down. the other way looks stupid.

That's probably as good as answer as any (basically, "it's completely
arbitrary, so orient it the way 99% of other outlets are oriented".)

However, there are good reasons to put them in "upside down" (i.e.,
ground pin up). Last time I was in a hospital, I noticed that almost all
the outlets were "upside down", and later heard/read that this is to
prevent sparks and shocks should a metal implement fall down along the
wall and contact a plug in an outlet. Makes sense. I'm even starting to
put in some outlets this way.

Oh, and I've also noticed that having the ground pin on top tends to
hold 3-prong plugs in the outlet more tightly and resist the plug
falling out, like when you're using an extension cord and tug on it.

--
"In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: 'Elect me president, and I
population into concentration camps and turn the country into a

- Characterization (paraphrased) of the 1964 Goldwater/Johnson
presidential race by Professor Irwin Corey, "The World's Foremost
Authority".

Phisherman[_2_] August 29th 08 12:19 AM

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 13:59:39 -0700, "john" wrote:

Does the 2008 NEC specify which way to orient 3-prong outlets?

Should it be

ground on top
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...with_label.jpg

or

ground on bottom
http://images.jupiterimages.com/comm...4/23433400.jpg

?

The tradition seems to be ground on bottom, but I heard it is safer to have
ground on top so falling coins are less likely to short out a loosely
plugged in plug.

I prefer the ground at the bottom. All outlets should have the same
orientation.

Leroy[_4_] August 29th 08 12:20 AM

JIMMIE wrote:
But little kids dont think its a face. When my daughter was little the
only outlet in her room that she could see frightened her until I
turned it with the ground up.

Yahbut, it's good that little kids are frightened of outlets? Perhaps
you should've plugged in those little plastic 'childproofers' into
the outlets to disguise them? g

PanHandler[_2_] August 29th 08 12:44 AM

"Steve Barker DLT" wrote in message
Ground down. the other way looks stupid.

Horizontally. Then everybody can obsess about trivialities. Geesh!

mm August 29th 08 01:01 AM

3 prong outlet, which way is up?

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 13:59:39 -0700, "john" wrote:

Does the 2008 NEC specify which way to orient 3-prong outlets?

Should it be

ground on top
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...with_label.jpg

or

ground on bottom
http://images.jupiterimages.com/comm...4/23433400.jpg

Discussions here have centered around ground down, except when the
outlet is on a wall switch. I doubt most people would know that
code if they didn't own the home when it was under construction, but
those who pay attention could notice the difference and ask or figure
it out.

I have 3 receptacles on wall switches. I should check them..... The
one I can get to is ground down, like the other outlets in the house.
That's what happens when the electrician is a durn furiner.

The tradition seems to be ground on bottom, but I heard it is safer to have
ground on top so falling coins are less likely to short out a loosely
plugged in plug.

I read that here too, and is my nature, I believe things when I first
hear them. But in my life, I've only dropped coins in the middle of
the bedroom when I take off my pants, and off the front edge of
kitchen table. I also don't have any loosely plugged in plugs, and
if I did, I can't imagine a coin getting in one.

mm August 29th 08 01:04 AM

3 prong outlet, which way is up?

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 17:07:02 -0500, "Steve Barker DLT"
wrote:

Ground down. the other way looks stupid.

But that wouldn't be true if we grew up standing on our heads.

Lurfys Maw August 29th 08 01:35 AM

wrote:

Ground down. the other way looks stupid.

Calling someone stupid for asking a question is...stupid.

Square Peg August 29th 08 01:37 AM

3 prong outlet, which way is up?

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 20:27:45 -0400, Claude Hopper
wrote:

john wrote:
Does the 2008 NEC specify which way to orient 3-prong outlets?

Should it be

ground on top
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...with_label.jpg

or

ground on bottom
http://images.jupiterimages.com/comm...4/23433400.jpg

?

The tradition seems to be ground on bottom, but I heard it is safer to have
ground on top so falling coins are less likely to short out a loosely
plugged in plug.

I like my outlets on the floor. The ones on the counter are sideways.

Oh-oh. Now which way should they be oriented? North (up on a map)?
Toward the power company? Toward Mecca?

You better do it right or you may get called stupid.

Steve Barker DLT August 29th 08 02:02 AM

3 prong outlet, which way is up?

I didn't call anyone stupid. I said upside down outlets look stupid. And
they do.

Rick Brandt August 29th 08 02:23 AM

Steve Barker DLT wrote:
Ground down. the other way looks stupid.

Also to be considered is that plugs mounted 90 degrees to the cord don't
work very well with ground at the top.

Edwin Pawlowski August 29th 08 02:35 AM

3 prong outlet, which way is up?

"PanHandler" wrote in message
. ..

"Steve Barker DLT" wrote in message
Ground down. the other way looks stupid.

Horizontally. Then everybody can obsess about trivialities. Geesh!

Ground left or right? Please advise.

Tekkie® August 29th 08 03:06 AM

3 prong outlet, which way is up? NOT AGAIN!!!!!

john posted for all of us...

Does the 2008 NEC specify which way to orient 3-prong outlets?

Should it be

ground on top
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...with_label.jpg

or

ground on bottom
http://images.jupiterimages.com/comm...4/23433400.jpg

?

The tradition seems to be ground on bottom, but I heard it is safer to have
ground on top so falling coins are less likely to short out a loosely
plugged in plug.

What is this? About the 3 billionth time this has been discussed?
--
Tekkie - I approve this advertisement/statement/utterance.

Red Green August 29th 08 03:18 AM

3 prong outlet, which way is up?

"Steve Barker DLT" wrote in
:

"john" wrote in message
Does the 2008 NEC specify which way to orient 3-prong outlets?

Should it be

ground on top
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi.../Electrical_ou
tlet_with_label.jpg/800px-Electrical_outlet_with_label.jpg

or

ground on bottom
http://images.jupiterimages.com/comm...4/23433400.jpg

?

The tradition seems to be ground on bottom, but I heard it is safer
to have ground on top so falling coins are less likely to short out a
loosely plugged in plug.

Direct quote from the NEC I bet :-)

Red Green August 29th 08 03:28 AM

3 prong outlet, which way is up?

Lurfys Maw wrote in
:

wrote:

Ground down. the other way looks stupid.

Calling someone stupid for asking a question is...stupid.

When was anyone called stupid? He just said the other way looks stupid.

OK, he insulted a duplex outlet just because it's orientation is different.
In some states it is a Hate Crime to discriminate because of orientation.
He should expect to be served with a lawsuit from the National Brotherhood
of Duplex Outlets shortly.

Anthony Diodati August 29th 08 06:33 AM

3 prong outlet, which way is up? NOT AGAIN!!!!!

"Tekkie®" wrote in message
. ..
john posted for all of us...

Does the 2008 NEC specify which way to orient 3-prong outlets?

Should it be

ground on top
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...with_label.jpg

or

ground on bottom
http://images.jupiterimages.com/comm...4/23433400.jpg

?

The tradition seems to be ground on bottom, but I heard it is safer to
have
ground on top so falling coins are less likely to short out a loosely
plugged in plug.

What is this? About the 3 billionth time this has been discussed?

So what?
Tony
--
Tekkie - I approve this advertisement/statement/utterance.

Smitty Two August 29th 08 09:42 AM

3 prong outlet, which way is up?

In article ,
"Rick Brandt" wrote:

Steve Barker DLT wrote:
Ground down. the other way looks stupid.

Also to be considered is that plugs mounted 90 degrees to the cord don't
work very well with ground at the top.

Excellent point.

DerbyDad03 August 29th 08 02:06 PM

3 prong outlet, which way is up?

On Aug 28, 9:00*pm, "Steve Barker DLT"
wrote:
www.tworivershospital.com/

"JIMMIE" wrote in message

But little kids dont think its a face. When my daughter was little the
only outlet in her room that she could see frightened her until I
turned it with the ground up.

Jimmie

Steve,

Thank you for the link to the Two Rivers Hospital site, but I couldn't
find anything about ground-prong orientation on any of their pages. I
even checked the FAQ - nothing there about receptacle installation.

Oh, gotta go. The short bus just pulled up. I'll read your response
later.

D*mn, where's my helmet?

N8N August 29th 08 02:11 PM

On Aug 28, 9:35*pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"PanHandler" wrote in message

. ..

"Steve Barker DLT" wrote in message
Ground down. *the other way looks stupid.

Horizontally. Then everybody can obsess about trivialities. Geesh!

Ground left or right? *Please advise.

Left, so the neutral is up. (following the same reasoning that would
indicate that the ground should be up when installed vertically.)

nate

N8N August 29th 08 02:14 PM

On Aug 28, 8:01*pm, mm wrote:
[...]

The reasoning I heard was that if you use metal cover plates and the
screw that secures the cover plate comes loose, the cover could
actually slide down and if you weren't paying attention could hit the
prongs of a plug as it's being removed. With the ground up this is
harmless; with the ground down you could energize the cover plate and/
or short the hot and neutral prongs of the plug if it fell just so.
An infinetesimally rare possibility, but a non-zero one.

nate

DerbyDad03 August 29th 08 02:29 PM

On Aug 28, 4:59*pm, "john" wrote:
Does the 2008 NEC specify which way to orient 3-prong outlets?

Should it be

ground on tophttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/42/Electrical_o...

or

ground on bottomhttp://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/00/34/23433400.jpg

?

The tradition seems to be ground on bottom, but I heard it is safer to have
ground on top so falling coins are less likely to short out a loosely
plugged in plug.

Years ago I worked at a factory where the electricians were required
to install all outlets ground up. I was told that since there was more
of a chance that a metal object would come in contact with a loose
plug from the top than from the bottom, and since in the vast majority
of the installations the type of cord would not be an issue, they
opted for the "safer" method.

In other words, if it makes the factory just a tad bit safer, and
really has no other impact (other then writing it up in the procedure
manual) then why not?

[email protected] August 29th 08 02:45 PM

wrote:
Ground down. *the other way looks stupid.

I would have to guess the other way looks stupid because nearly
every one is installed the other way.

There are only two arguments that seem to make sense.

Ground up, does appear to have a slight safety advantage. Notice
I did say SLIGHT.

Ground up does not work well with all plugs (then again ground
down does not work well with some other plugs.)

I don't intend to loose sleep over it, but all my plugs that get
added or worked on are ground up.

Mark August 29th 08 03:11 PM

On Aug 29, 9:45*am, wrote:
On Aug 28, 6:07*pm, "Steve Barker wrote:
Ground down. *the other way looks stupid.

* * I would have to guess the other way looks stupid because nearly
every one is installed the other way.

* * There are only two arguments that seem to make sense.

* * Ground up, does appear to have a slight safety advantage. *Notice
I did say SLIGHT.

* * Ground up does not work well with all plugs (then again ground
down does not work well with some other plugs.)

* * I don't intend to loose sleep over it, but all my plugs that get
added or worked on are ground up.

I find it funny that the NEC seems to cover every detail you could
think of, but not this one.

Mark

Joe August 29th 08 03:52 PM

3 prong outlet, which way is up?

On Aug 28, 6:44*pm, "PanHandler" wrote:
"Steve Barker DLT" wrote in ...

Ground down. *the other way looks stupid.

Horizontally. Then everybody can obsess about trivialities. Geesh!

Preferred orientation then is on the left. More info page 240,
Traister's ' Electrical Wiring' ISBN1-57218-092-7 at your local
library. The Pass & Seymour/Legrand product catalog shows all
receptacles in the vertical mode with ground at top. Note the ground
position on receptacles at a hospital next time you visit...grounds at
top.

Joe

Rich256 August 29th 08 04:50 PM

3 prong outlet, which way is up?

I never paid much attention but just a couple months ago a metal
hangar fell behind a dresser. There was a big flash and a breaker
blew. The plug behind the dresser was not plugged in all the way and
luck would have it the hanger shorted out the contacts.

Steve Barker DLT August 29th 08 05:14 PM

3 prong outlet, which way is up?

that's because it doesn't matter.

DerbyDad03 August 29th 08 05:18 PM

3 prong outlet, which way is up?

On Aug 29, 12:12*pm, "Steve Barker DLT"
wrote:
i meant for your daughter who is afraid of an inanimate object.

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

Steve,

Thank you for the link to the Two Rivers Hospital site, but I couldn't
find anything about ground-prong orientation on any of their pages. I
even checked the FAQ - nothing there about receptacle installation.

Oh, gotta go. The short bus just pulled up. I'll read your response
later.

D*mn, where's my helmet?

It wasn't my daughter...that was somebody else.

Guess you didn't get the short bus/helmet reference.

terry August 29th 08 05:51 PM

On Aug 29, 11:29*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Aug 28, 4:59*pm, "john" wrote:

[...]

I agree.

Or at least I did until most of the el-cheapo stuff such as wall
warts, night lights, air fresheners, shaver and cell phone chargers
etc. etc. etc. all the ancillary gear we seem to have to plug in these
days, seem to be ground pin down!

Also thinking; if and when I ever finish off and wire my basement
area, I will install two duplex outlets in each location and one will
be UP and the other DOWN.

However will probably then find then that things plugged into one
duplex outlet will interfere with things plugged into t'other adjacent
duplex!

It's probably this confusion and the increasing number of 'gadgets'
that has lead the profusion of cheap and in some cases very nasty
'power bars' into which we then plug, even more, higgledy-piggledy too
many of the power supplies for the various gadgets..

DerbyDad03 August 29th 08 05:56 PM

On Aug 28, 4:59*pm, "john" wrote:

[...]

many of the power supplies for the various gadgets..- Hide quoted text -

None of the "wall warts, night lights, air fresheners, shaver and cell
phone chargers" that I own have ground pins.

David Nebenzahl August 29th 08 07:15 PM

3 prong outlet, which way is up?

On 8/29/2008 8:50 AM Rich256 spake thus:

I never paid much attention but just a couple months ago a metal
hangar fell behind a dresser. There was a big flash and a breaker
blew. The plug behind the dresser was not plugged in all the way and
luck would have it the hanger shorted out the contacts.

There you have it. I think this one data point is enough to tilt the
argument in favor of ground pin up. Since it's otherwise arbitrary, why
not do the safer thing?

So far as the orientation of 90° plugs goes, I've seen them made both
ways, so it really doesn't matter which way you put the outlet: the plug
is going to be going the wrong way half the time anyhow.

N8N August 29th 08 07:26 PM

On Aug 28, 4:59*pm, "john" wrote:

[...]

But some may have polarized plugs, thus essentially being the same
thing.

nate

HeyBub[_3_] August 29th 08 08:10 PM

john wrote:
Does the 2008 NEC specify which way to orient 3-prong outlets?

Should it be

ground on top
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...with_label.jpg

or

ground on bottom
http://images.jupiterimages.com/comm...4/23433400.jpg

?

The tradition seems to be ground on bottom, but I heard it is safer
to have ground on top so falling coins are less likely to short out a
loosely plugged in plug.

Get the recessed outlets, like they use for mounting clocks, then no matter
what slides down the walls - from pennies to drunk relatives - there will be
no hazard at all.