Old August 29th 08, 01:35 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default 3 prong outlet, which way is up?

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 17:07:02 -0500, "Steve Barker DLT"
wrote:

Ground down. the other way looks stupid.

Calling someone stupid for asking a question is...stupid.

Old August 29th 08, 01:37 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 20:27:45 -0400, Claude Hopper
wrote:

john wrote:
Does the 2008 NEC specify which way to orient 3-prong outlets?

Should it be

ground on top
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...with_label.jpg

or

ground on bottom
http://images.jupiterimages.com/comm...4/23433400.jpg

?

The tradition seems to be ground on bottom, but I heard it is safer to have
ground on top so falling coins are less likely to short out a loosely
plugged in plug.

I like my outlets on the floor. The ones on the counter are sideways.

Oh-oh. Now which way should they be oriented? North (up on a map)?
Toward the power company? Toward Mecca?

You better do it right or you may get called stupid.
Old August 29th 08, 02:00 AM posted to alt.home.repair

www.tworivershospital.com/

"JIMMIE" wrote in message

But little kids dont think its a face. When my daughter was little the
only outlet in her room that she could see frightened her until I
turned it with the ground up.

Jimmie

Old August 29th 08, 02:02 AM posted to alt.home.repair

I didn't call anyone stupid. I said upside down outlets look stupid. And
they do.

Old August 29th 08, 02:23 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker DLT wrote:
Ground down. the other way looks stupid.

Also to be considered is that plugs mounted 90 degrees to the cord don't
work very well with ground at the top.

Old August 29th 08, 02:35 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"PanHandler" wrote in message
news

"Steve Barker DLT" wrote in message
Ground down. the other way looks stupid.

Horizontally. Then everybody can obsess about trivialities. Geesh!

Ground left or right? Please advise.

Old August 29th 08, 03:06 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default 3 prong outlet, which way is up? NOT AGAIN!!!!!

john posted for all of us...

Does the 2008 NEC specify which way to orient 3-prong outlets?

Should it be

ground on top
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...with_label.jpg

or

ground on bottom
http://images.jupiterimages.com/comm...4/23433400.jpg

?

The tradition seems to be ground on bottom, but I heard it is safer to have
ground on top so falling coins are less likely to short out a loosely
plugged in plug.

What is this? About the 3 billionth time this has been discussed?
--
Tekkie - I approve this advertisement/statement/utterance.
Old August 29th 08, 03:18 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker DLT" wrote in
:

"john" wrote in message
Does the 2008 NEC specify which way to orient 3-prong outlets?

Should it be

ground on top
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi.../Electrical_ou
tlet_with_label.jpg/800px-Electrical_outlet_with_label.jpg

or

ground on bottom
http://images.jupiterimages.com/comm...4/23433400.jpg

?

The tradition seems to be ground on bottom, but I heard it is safer
to have ground on top so falling coins are less likely to short out a
loosely plugged in plug.

Direct quote from the NEC I bet :-)
Old August 29th 08, 03:28 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Lurfys Maw wrote in
:

wrote:

Ground down. the other way looks stupid.

Calling someone stupid for asking a question is...stupid.

When was anyone called stupid? He just said the other way looks stupid.

OK, he insulted a duplex outlet just because it's orientation is different.
In some states it is a Hate Crime to discriminate because of orientation.
He should expect to be served with a lawsuit from the National Brotherhood
of Duplex Outlets shortly.