Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Adapter plug for a 230 volt 4 prong Dryer Outlet to a 230 volt 3 prong Outlet

Hey,
I just recently purchased a used Asko washing machine, and as it has
an onboard water heater, it requires that I plug it into a 230 volt
outlet. The only 230 volt outlet in the room is for the dryer. So,
I'd like to make an adapter cord that goes from the 230 volt dryer
plug (which has a red and black hot, white neutral and a ground wire)
to a 3 pronged 230 volt plug end. Now I know that the red and black
are wired to the left and right prongs, but what I'm not 100% sure of
is the ground. Do I wire into the white neutral from the dryer plug
or to the ground wire of the dryer plug?

Thanks for any help in advance.

This is my first time using the Google groups, if there is a more
appropriate group that I should be posting this question to, please
let me know.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

You would connect to the two hots and the ground, not the neutral. If the
Asko needed a neutral, it would have required a four wire cord.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hey,
I just recently purchased a used Asko washing machine, and as it has
an onboard water heater, it requires that I plug it into a 230 volt
outlet. The only 230 volt outlet in the room is for the dryer. So,
I'd like to make an adapter cord that goes from the 230 volt dryer
plug (which has a red and black hot, white neutral and a ground wire)
to a 3 pronged 230 volt plug end. Now I know that the red and black
are wired to the left and right prongs, but what I'm not 100% sure of
is the ground. Do I wire into the white neutral from the dryer plug
or to the ground wire of the dryer plug?

Thanks for any help in advance.

This is my first time using the Google groups, if there is a more
appropriate group that I should be posting this question to, please
let me know.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

wrote:
Hey,
I just recently purchased a used Asko washing machine, and as it has
an onboard water heater, it requires that I plug it into a 230 volt
outlet. The only 230 volt outlet in the room is for the dryer. So,
I'd like to make an adapter cord that goes from the 230 volt dryer
plug (which has a red and black hot, white neutral and a ground wire)
to a 3 pronged 230 volt plug end. Now I know that the red and black
are wired to the left and right prongs, but what I'm not 100% sure of
is the ground. Do I wire into the white neutral from the dryer plug
or to the ground wire of the dryer plug?

Thanks for any help in advance.

This is my first time using the Google groups, if there is a more
appropriate group that I should be posting this question to, please
let me know.

See if you can't just buy a 4-prong dryer cord assembly and rewire the
washing machine. The hookup should be pretty simple as all you are
adding is a ground wire which would properly be attached to the washer
metal frame at a convenient place. From your post it appears that you
would be plugging in each appliance separately for use, but that seems
rather inconvenient.
Whatever, keep grounds and neutrals totally independent of one
another...they serve different purposes. HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

Since you need power for your washing machine, I surely would not
wire to the dryer plug. There is no power in a dryer plug, unless
it is in the socket. You could possibly build an adaptor that
would be a dryer style plug, and an Asko style socket. You could
then put the adaptor into the dryer socket, and then the washer
plug into the adaptor.

The dryer plug would be removed from the socket, and set aside.
Don't try to wire to the dryer plug, that would be a waste of
effort.

Since you have the 220 volt power already available, consider
having an electrician either put a four prong "dryer whip" on
your washing machine. This strangely named thing is the power
cord with plug on the end. Should be possible to put a four prong
plug on your washer. Or, you may wish to ask him to wire a second
socket next to the dryer socket. This second socket being three
prong like your washer needs. You could leave them both plugged
in at the same time, though you'd only have enough power to run
one at a time. Easier than removing and replacing plugs.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

:
: Thanks for any help in advance.
:
: This is my first time using the Google groups, if there is a
more
: appropriate group that I should be posting this question to,
please
: let me know.
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

The OP suggested the new device is 3 prongs, the socket is 4.
It's doable.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
:
: You may not be able to do what you want. You need a two
legs (usually
: red and black) and a neutral white and a true ground, not the
same as a
: neutral. If you don't have that you have more work to do than
just changing
: out an outlet.
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

Danger! Buying a four prong plug / whip adds a neutral.....

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
:
: wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for all the responses.... just to clarify a couple of things.
I currently have two hots, a neutral and a ground in the wall outlet.
To wire the outlet for the new 3 prong washer, I just use the two hots
and the ground, and I just leave the neutral out... is this correct?

I have actually wired a Y for the washer and dryer, so that I wont
have to switch between the outlets, though I will only be able to use
one machine at a time, without blowing the fuse, thought this doesnt
concern me, since it is just me and my girlfriend doing laundry.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
The OP suggested the new device is 3 prongs, the socket is 4.
It's doable.

You are right and my apologies to the OP, I misread the question.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Stormin Mormon" wrote:
Danger! Buying a four prong plug / whip adds a neutral.....

Which isn't going to be connected to anything. Big deal. Just wire-nut it at
the appliance end (if it is, in fact, a 3-wire appliance).

--
Regards,