Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.dcom.telecom.tech

Default Lightning protector for telephone NID

Hi,

The LP here (inside garage screwed to a piece of plywood) is so old
that it causes nothing but noise on the telephone line during high
humidity conditions. This in turn causes my DSL internet connection to
drop. Common problem with DSL, it's not very noise resilient. Spoke to
Verizon (our telco) about it and up to now cannot confirm whose
responsibility, in terms of cost, it is to have the LP replaced so I'm
just going to do it myself. Please, no lectures on proper grounding
etc., changing this thing is a piece of cake.

Problem is, can't find many places selling LPs. There's one here but
it's looks so "el cheapo";

http://www.telephonecentral.com/Prod...oductid=110401

Anybody know of places that sell these things in the US to non-
contractors? I'm even thinking of just "buying" one off a Verizon
service technician. The LPs they use look like the real deal.
Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.dcom.telecom.tech

On Jul 28, 9:25�am, " wrote:
[...]

Verizon should install a new NID, or replace it. Thats their
responsblity, and the NID includes lightning protection, so the indoor
one can be removed completely.

NID network interface device is box on outside of home.
Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.dcom.telecom.tech

while verizon is there ask them to install a central DSL filter, and
either you or them run a dedicated line from filter to computer modem.
ask for filter when calling so tech has it on truck, mine was free

no more phone filters, new line has low losses, and much more
reliable.

this should end forver your issues.

old lines are a main cause of flakey DSL. i had these issues here,
central filter and new dedicated line to computer ended that hassle
for good
Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.dcom.telecom.tech

" wrote:

On Jul 28, 9:25?am, " wrote:

-snip-
Problem is, can't find many places selling LPs. There's one here but
it's looks so "el cheapo";

http://www.telephonecentral.com/Prod...oductid=110401

Anybody know of places that sell these things in the US to non-
contractors? I'm even thinking of just "buying" one off a Verizon
service technician. The LPs they use look like the real deal.

Verizon should install a new NID, or replace it. Thats their
responsblity, and the NID includes lightning protection, so the indoor
one can be removed completely.

Yup- If it was me I'd run a 2 pair wire from the inside block to where
I wanted the new one outside- then call them and make an appointment
for a working box outside.

And if they balk, then call your Public Service Commission. Verizon
screwed me around for years with a lousy cable pair that gets rotated
between customers until they complain loudly enough. A call to
the PSC got a response *within hours* from a supervisor who gave me
his personal number.

Better yet they apparently were able to put a sensor and drier on the
line because afterwards whenever the line got noisy- we could wait 5
minutes and it would be quiet again. [today we finally got rid of
them altogether and went with TW digital phone]

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.dcom.telecom.tech

Thanks all for the replies.

Verizon should install a new NID

Well, this NID is only a piece of plywood with the lighting protector
screwed to it using two wood screws. I called Verizon repair first. Oh
yeah, I know the number by heart by now. They transferred me to
somewhere else who then transferred me to customer service. The latter
didn't even know what a LP was and said they would have to transfer me
to, yes you guessed it, repair. All CS could tell me was that if I had
their $6.00 per month "internal wiring protection plan" then it
wouldn't cost anything. They even tried to sell me the option on the
spot.

NID network interface device is box on outside of home.

I'll investigate further. Thanks.

On Jul 28, 9:42*am, " wrote:

Verizon should install a new NID, or replace it. Thats their
responsblity, and the NID includes lightning protection, so the indoor
one can be removed completely.

NID network interface device is box on outside of home.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.dcom.telecom.tech

" writes:

Thanks all for the replies.

Verizon should install a new NID

Well, this NID is only a piece of plywood with the lighting protector
screwed to it using two wood screws. I called Verizon repair first. Oh
yeah, I know the number by heart by now. They transferred me to
somewhere else who then transferred me to customer service. The latter
didn't even know what a LP was and said they would have to transfer me
to, yes you guessed it, repair. All CS could tell me was that if I had
their $6.00 per month "internal wiring protection plan" then it
wouldn't cost anything. They even tried to sell me the option on the
spot.

There is a good reason to NOT get them to replace it.

If they do, they want it outside. You don't.

If they do, they default into "It's your problem, and if we come out,
we'll charge you unless you can prove it's ours [Fat Chance, buddy]"
mode.

--
A host is a host from coast to
Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.dcom.telecom.tech

I called POTS repair again and after explaining everything they said
it was a DSL repair issue. Since DSL repair was the very first place I
called and they already said it was a POTS repair issue I lost my
temper and just told the POTS repair person where to go stick their
head and hung up for the second time. Will either buy the LP online or
just give a Verizon serviceman $5.00 or $10.00 for one of theirs. Any
more DSL issues after that and it's cable broadband, something I
probably should have done long ago. The only thing that has been
stopping me is where cable service enters the house now and where I'd
want the cable MODEM. The house is already wired for both POTS and
VOIP telephone lines and the cable MODEM has to be preferably near a
phone jack.

On Jul 28, 2:23*pm, David Lesher wrote:

There is a good reason to NOT get them to replace it.

If they do, they want it outside. You don't.

If they do, they default into "It's your problem, and if we come out,
we'll charge you unless you can prove it's ours [Fat Chance, buddy]"
mode.

--
A host is a host from coast to

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.dcom.telecom.tech
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 07:17:35 -0700, Steven Lichter
wrote:

while verizon is there ask them to install a central DSL filter, and
either you or them run a dedicated line from filter to computer modem.
ask for filter when calling so tech has it on truck, mine was free

I don't expect you to understand the prvious paragraph, but it means
if I ever fix the phoneline problem I have had for the last few years,
I'll have a new problem because the phone line enters through the
basement in stead of my office like now.

I didn't pay attention to hhow you do it, but since you have a full
basement with unfinished ceilings in part of it, it's easier.

I just had that done by at&t an my DSL which had just upgraded from 3 to
6 went up to over 5 and is now holding,

This is why I wrote: A reminder that this guy signed up for 6 and is
happy to get over 5. There's probably a way to measure what yo're
getting now. and it might not be 3.

also it was great to get rid of
those filters, the one on the wall phone was the worst.

It wobbled, right?

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.dcom.telecom.tech
mm mm is offline

posted and mailed.

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:11:01 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Thanks all for the replies.

Verizon should install a new NID

Well, this NID is only a piece of plywood with the lighting protector
screwed to it using two wood screws. I called Verizon repair first. Oh

I don't know what you have that's causing the problem and needs
repairing/replacing, but NID stands for Network Interface Device, and
refers to a jack and a plug, or more than one. The jack is from the
phone company, and the plug is from your house. That's what makes it
an "interface". It's like your whole house, the entire phone system
of the house, is plugged into a jack from the phone company.

They've been using these for 30 years or more. BEfore they had the
plug/jack things they had a screw block where the wires from the phone
company met the wires from the house. I think these were usually
inside, but the newer nids are almost always outside.

Could there be a problem with terminology when talking to the various
companies? Regarless, if all you need is the lightning thing, yes, do
it yorusslef. I don't think the URL you gave loooks so cheap. It
looks ok to me.

yeah, I know the number by heart by now. They transferred me to
somewhere else who then transferred me to customer service. The latter
didn't even know what a LP was and said they would have to transfer me

Did you call it an LP or a lightening protector. I've never heard of
an LP either, except for 33 1/3.

On Jul 28, 9:42*am, " wrote:

Verizon should install a new NID, or replace it. Thats their
responsblity, and the NID includes lightning protection, so the indoor
one can be removed completely.

NID network interface device is box on outside of home.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.dcom.telecom.tech

wrote:

while verizon is there ask them to install a central DSL filter, and
either you or them run a dedicated line from filter to computer modem.
ask for filter when calling so tech has it on truck, mine was free

I don't expect you to understand the prvious paragraph, but it means
if I ever fix the phoneline problem I have had for the last few years,
I'll have a new problem because the phone line enters through the
basement in stead of my office like now.

I didn't pay attention to hhow you do it, but since you have a full
basement with unfinished ceilings in part of it, it's easier.

I just had that done by at&t an my DSL which had just upgraded from 3 to
6 went up to over 5 and is now holding,

This is why I wrote: A reminder that this guy signed up for 6 and is
happy to get over 5. There's probably a way to measure what yo're
getting now. and it might not be 3.

At the interface it is 6, but even with the new direct cable there is a
lose, besides I'm a the end of the mileage for DSL, at this point I have
UVerse up the street, but I'm way to far for that at least until early
next year. I am a COEI Installer, if you don't know what that is, a CO
Installer, I install the hardware in the CO's and have done this for 40
years, so I have seen a lot of changes.

also it was great to get rid of
those filters, the one on the wall phone was the worst.

It wobbled, right?

--
The Only Good Spammer is a Dead one!! Have you hunted one down today?
(c) 2008 I Kill Spammers, Inc. A Rot In Hell Co.
Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.dcom.telecom.tech
N8N N8N is offline

If you actually get any useful help from Verizon please let us know
how you did it. I fought with them for almost a year at my old place
simply trying to get a functional phone line - new NID, new cable to
pole, and they tried about three different pairs going back to
wherever their switching station was, same result, every time it
rained or got humid, tons of static on the line so that you could
barely carry on a conversation and I couldn't even use dialup.
Eventually my landlady upgraded to cable internet and I split the cost
with her and we both dropped Verizon entirely - she was having
problems on her line too that they also couldn't or wouldn't fix.

I also had issues at a previous place where Verizon sold my girlfriend
DSL and then when it wasn't any faster than dialup and kept dropping
and reconnecting their tech told her that she should have never been
sold it in the first place because we were way too far from the
switch.

And even years ago, when I first moved to this area, Verizon got
something like a $400 deposit simply to turn on the phone service
because they considered the credit "insufficient" of two people with
jobs and good credit ratings...

In short, they're ******* coated *******s with ******* filling, and
any sympathy I may have had for them due to all the people dropping
their land lines and going all cellular due to the inevitable march of
technology is offset by the way they've jerked me around over the
years forcing me to do the same.

Finally, if you rewire, I believe current recommendation is to pull
CAT6 for any new telephone jacks because DSL is so common. But I
wouldn't bother, just do what I did and get a wireless router and
cable modem.

nate

On Jul 28, 6:11*pm, " wrote:
[...]

is busy, hung or dead....................................20915-1433- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.dcom.telecom.tech

I will try again! Verizon should instal a NID outside where the phone
line enters your home, it includes built in lightning protection, the
old carbon pile thing witll be disconnected, they arent compatible
with DSL, at this time try t get a whole house DSL filter, more speed
no more individual phone fiters

the NID upgrade should be free it makes repairs easier for them and
for you.

when you have a phone problem go outside, unplug your home, plug in a
spare phone.

if it works then its something in your home

if it doesnt work its verizon.

clean simple free test.

imagine its something in your home Till you get it fixed run a cheap
25 foot extension to inside and connect a working phone. instant
repair

the NID outside is better for everyone and can be locked if you want.
I never bothered.

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.dcom.telecom.tech

wrote in message
Thanks all for the replies.

Verizon should install a new NID

Well, this NID is only a piece of plywood with the lighting protector
screwed to it using two wood screws. I called Verizon repair first. Oh
yeah, I know the number by heart by now. They transferred me to
somewhere else who then transferred me to customer service. The latter
didn't even know what a LP was and said they would have to transfer me
to, yes you guessed it, repair. All CS could tell me was that if I had
their $6.00 per month "internal wiring protection plan" then it
wouldn't cost anything. They even tried to sell me the option on the
spot.

************************************************** **********8

So, sign up for their plan for a month and get it fixed.

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.dcom.telecom.tech

Thanks for the link.

On Jul 29, 11:03*am, M Q wrote:

Yes, Verizon should install a new NID. *But given the difficulty in
dealing with Verizon, it may be less time for you to install your
own they way you want it. *Try:http://www.hometech.com/techwire/demarc.html

Be sure to ground it well AND make sure the ground is connected to
the rest of the building and power grounds.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.dcom.telecom.tech

On Jul 29, 1:05�pm, "Bob F" wrote:
wrote in message

Thanks all for the replies.

Verizon should install a new NID

Well, this NID is only a piece of plywood with the lighting protector
screwed to it using two wood screws. I called Verizon repair first. Oh
yeah, I know the number by heart by now. They transferred me to
somewhere else who then transferred me to customer service. The latter
didn't even know what a LP was and said they would have to transfer me
to, yes you guessed it, repair. All CS could tell me was that if I had
their $6.00 per month "internal wiring protection plan" then it
wouldn't cost anything. They even tried to sell me the option on the
spot.

************************************************** **********8

So, sign up for their plan for a month and get it fixed.

Theres a verizon CEO office complaint number, a NID IS NOT that surge
protector your talking about.

by chance are you using a different DSL provider reselling using
verizons lines?

thatr would explain everything

have you called your tates PUPLIC UTILITY COMISSION?

That will get verizon to install a new NID outside where it belongs.

by chance do you not for whatever reason want a outdoor NID?
Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.dcom.telecom.tech

wrote:
On Jul 28, 9:25�am, " wrote:

[...]

Here's one place to look;

http://www.milestek.com/shop/product...id=&kwd=&l=&p=
Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.dcom.telecom.tech

" writes:

Hi,

The LP here (inside garage screwed to a piece of plywood) is so old
that it causes nothing but noise on the telephone line during high
humidity conditions. This in turn causes my DSL internet connection to
drop.

Going back, I'm curious as to why you think it is the protector
getting damp that causes the problem? Have you dried it out
with a hair dryer or lamp, and had the noise disappear? You can
actually remove the protectors from the block, but I don't
advise it unless you are handy with tools..

If this is rain-caused, it's most likely bad cable at some place between
you and the CO.

Common problem with DSL, it's not very noise resilient.

Actually, it's rather robust vs. voice; my DSL has stayed up
while the POTS was unusable from a tip ground.

--
A host is a host from coast to

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.dcom.telecom.tech

" writes:

the NID outside is better for everyone and can be locked if you want.
I never bothered.

Sure you can lock it.. for all the good that does.. A standard hex
socket opens any NID, locked or unlocked.

--
A host is a host from coast to
Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.dcom.telecom.tech

Have you dried it out with a hair dryer or lamp,
and had the noise disappear?

Why go to that amount of trouble....Just disconnecting the pairs from
the LP was enough.

Actually, it's rather robust vs. voice; my DSL has stayed up
while the POTS was unusable from a tip ground.

Not certain what your problem was but noise will have a greater effect
on DSL than voice any day. Nothing to argue about there.

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.dcom.telecom.tech
mm mm is offline

wrote:

while verizon is there ask them to install a central DSL filter, and
either you or them run a dedicated line from filter to computer modem.
ask for filter when calling so tech has it on truck, mine was free

I don't expect you to understand the prvious paragraph, but it means

I apologize. This was meant to be sent only to a friend who is
considering signing up for faster DSL. *She*'s the one who won't
understand the previous paragraph, at least the part about filters.

I expect that Steven will undrstand it, considering he wrote it!

I otoh, had a lot of trouble understanding what I was talking about
when I read it in the ng. ;

Wow, I checked and I hadn't even sent it to the friend.

if I ever fix the phoneline problem I have had for the last few years,
I'll have a new problem because the phone line enters through the
basement in stead of my office like now.

I didn't pay attention to hhow you do it, but since you have a full
basement with unfinished ceilings in part of it, it's easier.

Again, refers to my friend's house.

I see at the end is a line directed to Steve, asking if the phone
wobbled. So in the middle of writing, I forgot that I was writing and
an email and thought it was meant to be a post too.

I just had that done by at&t an my DSL which had just upgraded from 3 to
6 went up to over 5 and is now holding,

This is why I wrote: A reminder that this guy signed up for 6 and is
happy to get over 5. There's probably a way to measure what yo're
getting now. and it might not be 3.

also it was great to get rid of
those filters, the one on the wall phone was the worst.

It wobbled, right?

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.dcom.telecom.tech

wrote:

[...]

Are you asking if the wall phone wobbled? Yes it did and a few times
came off the wall. It is a very expensive Motorola Base station and I
was lucky nothing broke. To make things even faster for my DSL I
installed a Cat5 cable direct to the DSL router/modem and now the signal
is just under 6, and at the demark it is under 7 and that I can't figure
out since the top speed is 6.

--
The Only Good Spammer is a Dead one!! Have you hunted one down today?
(c) 2008 I Kill Spammers, Inc. A Rot In Hell Co.
Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.dcom.telecom.tech

On Jul 31, 12:22�pm, David Lesher wrote:
" writes:
the NID outside is better for everyone and can be locked if you want.
I never bothered.

Sure you can lock it.. for all the good that does.. A standard hex
socket opens any NID, locked or unlocked.

many years ago a burglar was busy in our area cutting phone lines,
before breaking in the homes.

jerk must of hit 30 homes, cut phone lines so security systems couldnt
dial out.

bell telephone was going around instaling a NID at each home.

I had my NID installed high up, where a extension ladder would be
needed to reach the nid or line, preventing tampering.

my grandma, who could barely walk was living here and I idnt want our
home burglarized.

many years later the NID went bad and I had them replace it, with one
on ground level.

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.dcom.telecom.tech

In article ,
David Lesher wrote:

the NID outside is better for everyone and can be locked

if you want. I never bothered.

Sure you can lock it.. for all the good that does.. A standard hex
socket opens any NID, locked or unlocked.

The very first generation of S/NIDs required a THIN-walled socket. We
used our common "can wrench".

However, it has been many, MANY years since the device was "secured"
with a common bolt. A not-so-common "security" hex "key" (special allen
wrench) has been required for YEARS.

Still, the box is made of plastic as is the conduit (tube) that contains
the buried drop wire that runs to it in an underground installation.
There is little REAL security offered by most ANY telco attachment that
can't be overcome with a mere, pair of dikes.
--

JR
Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.dcom.telecom.tech

Jim Redelfs writes:

Sure you can lock it.. for all the good that does.. A standard hex
socket opens any NID, locked or unlocked.

The very first generation of S/NIDs required a THIN-walled socket. We
used our common "can wrench".

Yep; a really specialized tool....not. I own a classic Bakelite one,
it must be from the 1940's or 50's.

However, it has been many, MANY years since the device was "secured"
with a common bolt. A not-so-common "security" hex "key" (special allen
wrench) has been required for YEARS.

A) And they changed out every older NID; correct? [Nope]

B) The Allen key you describe is like the common cold. Not every one has
a cold today, but it's not hard to get one.

Still, the box is made of plastic as is the conduit (tube) that contains
the buried drop wire that runs to it in an underground installation.
There is little REAL security offered by most ANY telco attachment that
can't be overcome with a mere, pair of dikes.

When I consulted on a number of issues on a $EXPENSIVE house, we put the
NID in the basement, exited the house below grade with the cable and
trenched it to the pole. Then we ran 10' up the pole in rigid conduit.

Ma bitched, but put her test point 11' above ground. Also, a separate
cable in parallel is shorted at its end. If it is cut [Say an ambitious
thief has a hacksaw and is willing to stand there by the street sawing..]
the house alarm goes off at once.
--
A host is a host from coast to
Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.dcom.telecom.tech

In article ,
David Lesher wrote:

When I consulted on a number of issues on a $EXPENSIVE house, we put the
NID in the basement, exited the house below grade with the cable and
trenched it to the pole. Then we ran 10' up the pole in rigid conduit.

Ma bitched

I'll bet. BTDT. I usually "won".

but put her test point 11' above ground.

That's where I would have installed the SNI - let the customer own all
the mickey mouse from there to the house. Wotta PITA and mostly a
worthless effort.

Also, a separate cable in parallel is shorted at its end. If it
is cut [Say an ambitious thief has a hacksaw and is willing to
stand there by the street sawing..] the house alarm goes off at once.

To the layman, it all sounds so good. It's just "feel good" effort. No
one messes with SNIs - at least around here during my career. In any
case, a bold bad guy would just smash and grab with siren blaring away.

More likely, they'd not bother with such a residence regardless of the
telephone installation. Pickings are SOOO much easier in the city. A
quick VCR, DVD or flat screen will keep the bad guy high just fine.
He's not going to bother trying to find a fur vault or locate the Goebel
Hummels.
--

JR
Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.dcom.telecom.tech

On Aug 3, 12:27�am, Jim Redelfs wrote:
In article ,
�David Lesher wrote:

[...]

� � � � � �
JR

locally security alarm companies have gone to a backup radio system,
perhaps they use cell phones imbeded in the system? dont really know
but if the phone line is cut the system phones home a alarm.

its sad verizon fios tech support sucks, our central office had a bad
noisey router, it was noisy for a month, got worse, and the problem
was ignored for another month, even with me calling daily........

got into a heated argument with one idiot CSR.

ITS THE NETWORK verizons adds are a joke. they could care less........

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.dcom.telecom.tech

posted for all of us...

On Aug 3, 12:27ï¿=3Fam, Jim Redelfs wrote:
In article ,
ï¿=3FDavid Lesher wrote:

When I consulted on a number of issues on a $EXPENSIVE house, we put the
NID in the basement, exited the house below grade with the cable and
trenched it to the pole. Then we ran 10' up the pole in rigid conduit..

Ma bitched

I'll bet. ï¿=3FBTDT. ï¿=3FI usually "won".

but put her test point 11' above ground.

That's where I would have installed the SNI - let the customer own all
the mickey mouse from there to the house. ï¿=3FWotta PITA and mostly a
worthless effort.

Also, a separate cable in parallel is shorted at its end. If it
is cut [Say an ambitious thief has a hacksaw and is willing to
stand there by the street sawing..] the house alarm goes off at once.

To the layman, it all sounds so good. ï¿=3FIt's just "feel good" effort. ï¿=3FNo
one messes with SNIs - at least around here during my career. ï¿=3FIn any
case, a bold bad guy would just smash and grab with siren blaring away.

More likely, they'd not bother with such a residence regardless of the
telephone installation. ï¿=3FPickings are SOOO much easier in the city. ï¿=3FA
quick VCR, DVD or flat screen will keep the bad guy high just fine. ï¿=3F
He's not going to bother trying to find a fur vault or locate the Goebel
Hummels.
--
ï¿=3F ï¿=3F ï¿=3F ï¿=3F ï¿=3F ï¿=3F
JR

locally security alarm companies have gone to a backup radio system,
perhaps they use cell phones imbeded in the system? dont really know
but if the phone line is cut the system phones home a alarm.

its sad verizon fios tech support sucks, our central office had a bad
noisey router, it was noisy for a month, got worse, and the problem
was ignored for another month, even with me calling daily........

got into a heated argument with one idiot CSR.

ITS THE NETWORK verizons adds are a joke. they could care less........

They just knew whom they were dealing with...
--
Tekkie - I approve this advertisement/statement/utterance.