Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.dcom.telecom.tech
Jim Redelfs Jim Redelfs is offline

Default Lightning protector for telephone NID

In article ,
David Lesher wrote:

When I consulted on a number of issues on a $EXPENSIVE house, we put the
NID in the basement, exited the house below grade with the cable and
trenched it to the pole. Then we ran 10' up the pole in rigid conduit.

Ma bitched

I'll bet. BTDT. I usually "won".

but put her test point 11' above ground.

That's where I would have installed the SNI - let the customer own all
the mickey mouse from there to the house. Wotta PITA and mostly a
worthless effort.

Also, a separate cable in parallel is shorted at its end. If it
is cut [Say an ambitious thief has a hacksaw and is willing to
stand there by the street sawing..] the house alarm goes off at once.

To the layman, it all sounds so good. It's just "feel good" effort. No
one messes with SNIs - at least around here during my career. In any
case, a bold bad guy would just smash and grab with siren blaring away.

More likely, they'd not bother with such a residence regardless of the
telephone installation. Pickings are SOOO much easier in the city. A
quick VCR, DVD or flat screen will keep the bad guy high just fine.
He's not going to bother trying to find a fur vault or locate the Goebel
Hummels.
--

JR