Mark Wilson

Default Lightning Arrestor and Whole House Surge Protector Question

My service panel is inside my house. I have a lightning arrestor and a
whole house surge protector. Each unit isn't very big, about half the size
of my fist. I know they install using the knock outs, and I know each unit
must contact the neutral and both buses. The electrician I spoke to said
to just attach the hot leads from these units to the breaker contacts of a
double pole breaker (in this case a 60 AMP AC breaker).

To my thinking, if the breaker throws, then so does my protection. Is there
a better place to attach the hot leads from these units? Is it unusual to
have a lightning arrestor inside the house?

Thanks for you advice.

Gary Tait

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 09:05:26 -0400, "Mark Wilson"
wrote:

My service panel is inside my house. I have a lightning arrestor and a
whole house surge protector. Each unit isn't very big, about half the size
of my fist. I know they install using the knock outs, and I know each unit
must contact the neutral and both buses. The electrician I spoke to said
to just attach the hot leads from these units to the breaker contacts of a
double pole breaker (in this case a 60 AMP AC breaker).

To my thinking, if the breaker throws, then so does my protection. Is there
a better place to attach the hot leads from these units? Is it unusual to
have a lightning arrestor inside the house?

Thanks for you advice.

Either to their own double pole breaker, or possibly to one you'd know
if it was tripped.