Posted to rec.woodworking

Default overload protector tripping

I recently purchased a used jet contractor saw and I'm having trouble
with the overload protector. It first started tripping a couple months
ago when I was ripping some 5/4 hard maple. I figured that I was just
pushing the saw a little to much, so I let it rest between boards and
was able to finish my cuts. Tonight however, it starting tripping
while I was cross cutting some pine, and then it started cutting out
with no load at all.

The motor spins freely by hand, and I aligned the pulleys when I got
the saw. Is it possible that I have a bad overload protection
breaker?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Posted to rec.woodworking

The motor spins freely by hand, and I aligned the pulleys when I got
the saw. *Is it possible that I have a bad overload protection
breaker?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I had a similar problem. I disassembled the motor, cleaned all the
bearing surfaces, relubed everything. If you have a motor with ball
bearings replace the bearings. And clean everything.

Bob AZ

Posted to rec.woodworking

"arnolfini" wrote in message
oups.com...
I recently purchased a used jet contractor saw and I'm having trouble
with the overload protector. It first started tripping a couple months
ago when I was ripping some 5/4 hard maple. I figured that I was just
pushing the saw a little to much, so I let it rest between boards and
was able to finish my cuts. Tonight however, it starting tripping
while I was cross cutting some pine, and then it started cutting out
with no load at all.

The motor spins freely by hand, and I aligned the pulleys when I got
the saw. Is it possible that I have a bad overload protection
breaker?

Possible. Is the motor hot? That's what the breaker's trying to control.
If the motor's hot, look elsewhere for the source of the problem, it's doing
its job.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 10, 5:44 am, "George" wrote:
"arnolfini" wrote in message

oups.com...

I recently purchased a used jet contractor saw and I'm having trouble
with the overload protector. It first started tripping a couple months
ago when I was ripping some 5/4 hard maple. I figured that I was just
pushing the saw a little to much, so I let it rest between boards and
was able to finish my cuts. Tonight however, it starting tripping
while I was cross cutting some pine, and then it started cutting out
with no load at all.

The motor spins freely by hand, and I aligned the pulleys when I got
the saw. Is it possible that I have a bad overload protection
breaker?

Possible. Is the motor hot? That's what the breaker's trying to control.
If the motor's hot, look elsewhere for the source of the problem, it's doing
its job.

The motor casing doesn't feel hot to touch at all.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Are you using an extension cord to power the saw? If so, what gauge wire is
the cord? If used, an extension cord for a 110 volt 1-1/2 HP motor should
be fairly short and of a relatively large wire gauge. Probably at least a

Posted to rec.woodworking

#12 gauge wire and no longer than about 12 feet.
Jim Seelye

Extension cord is the most likely problem. I had to by a 14 guage
cord (wow! $$$) to run my saw until I got around to running a 20A
cicuit out to my garage. Voltage drop is very real and can easily
burn up a motor.

"arnolfini" wrote in message

oups.com...

I recently purchased a used jet contractor saw and I'm having trouble
with the overload protector. It first started tripping a couple months
ago when I was ripping some 5/4 hard maple. I figured that I was just
pushing the saw a little to much, so I let it rest between boards and
was able to finish my cuts. Tonight however, it starting tripping
while I was cross cutting some pine, and then it started cutting out
with no load at all.

The motor spins freely by hand, and I aligned the pulleys when I got
the saw. Is it possible that I have a bad overload protection
breaker?

Thanks in advance for your help.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks for everyone's help.

I was able to measure the current the saw was pulling when the
overload protector tripped. It measured 10.8 amps, which was much
less than I expected. However, the overload protector was quite hot.
I ordered a new overload protector from Jet and the saw has been
running smoothly ever since.