Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why Give Advice Here?

Some of these people should be paying someone good money for info that has
taken me a lifetime to learn and their getting it for free. Tell me why I
should be giving this info out for free?

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon 19 May 2008 08:47:18p, evodawg told us...

Some of these people should be paying someone good money for info that has
taken me a lifetime to learn and their getting it for free. Tell me why I
should be giving this info out for free?

Most folks would call it kindness and good will. Everyone has something they
can learn. Everyone also has someting they can offer, and will usually will
do so freely. If you're unwilling to do that, you clearly don't belong here,
putz.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 05(V)/19(XIX)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"evodawg" wrote in message
Some of these people should be paying someone good money for info that has
taken me a lifetime to learn and their getting it for free. Tell me why I
should be giving this info out for free?

If you have to ask, the answer is clear. You shouldn't be giving advice
here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 19, 11:47 pm, evodawg wrote:
Some of these people should be paying someone good money for info that has
taken me a lifetime to learn and their getting it for free. Tell me why I
should be giving this info out for free?

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

I don't know, why do you use Linux? Same idea.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 20, 8:04*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
wrote:
On Tue, 20 May 2008 03:47:18 GMT, evodawg wrote:

Some of these people should be paying someone good money for info
that has taken me a lifetime to learn and their getting it for free.
Tell me why I should be giving this info out for free?

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Why is it that everyone that runs Linux is an asshole !!!

They're not. It's merely a personality defect called "validation." Same as
religious folks who knock on your door.

Promoter of Linux or just some dopey signature? IMHO if you want
answers, don't send mixed messages.

As for giving free advice, I do it all the time in my profession, but,
if you come back wanting specific details that will take considerable
time, I won't do it without compensation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

evodawg wrote:

Some of these people should be paying someone good money for info that has
taken me a lifetime to learn and their getting it for free. Tell me why I
should be giving this info out for free?

Very interesting replies. Wondering why so many got so defensive? I was
merely asking a simple question that should have returned a simple answer.
I have given away many secrets and knowledge on this newsgroup and this is
the thanks I get. I should have expected this from some but not the
majority of posters. Attacks were uncalled for.

As far as linux goes, and that was not even brought up. I would rather use
an Operating System that actually works! I know for some pointing a
clicking at a picture works for them. I on the other hand would like to use
an OS that takes some intelligence and a thought process. I don't use Linux
because it's free, although that is a good selling point. HAHAHA I use it
because it works!!!!!!!!!!

Have a NICE DAY! I need to go to work now and get paid for my KNOWLEDGE!!!

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to alt.home.repair

evodawg wrote:
evodawg wrote:

Some of these people should be paying someone good money for info that has
taken me a lifetime to learn and their getting it for free. Tell me why I
should be giving this info out for free?

Hmmm,
Because you may some time need a info for yourself. I am a retired EE
but I never charged some one who is in need of my knowledge and
experinece. Life is to give and take. All my desktops and laptops in the
house are dual boot. Windows and Linux.

Posted to alt.home.repair

evodawg writes:

evodawg wrote:

Some of these people should be paying someone good money for info that has
taken me a lifetime to learn and their getting it for free. Tell me why I
should be giving this info out for free?

Very interesting replies. Wondering why so many got so defensive? I was
merely asking a simple question that should have returned a simple answer.
I have given away many secrets and knowledge on this newsgroup and this is
the thanks I get. I should have expected this from some but not the
majority of posters. Attacks were uncalled for.

Did I lose count or are you reading posts
that I don't see?
I have Google groups blocked of course.
I only saw one negative reply.

As far as linux goes, and that was not even brought up.

It's in your signature.

I can't tell you why you give advice for free,
only you would know the answer to that question.
Posted to alt.home.repair

evodawg wrote:

As far as linux goes, and that was not even brought up. I would
rather use an Operating System that actually works! I know for some
pointing a clicking at a picture works for them. I on the other hand
would like to use an OS that takes some intelligence and a thought
process. I don't use Linux because it's free, although that is a good
selling point. HAHAHA I use it because it works!!!!!!!!!!

Of course it works. Linux is a knock-off of a 40-year old operating system
designed by a money-losing division of your local telephone company and
enhanced by those who believe that the DOS command-line interface was not
cryptic enough.

At 0.86% of the desktop market, it's got nowhere to go but up.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

HeyBub wrote:
evodawg wrote:

As far as linux goes, and that was not even brought up. I would
rather use an Operating System that actually works! I know for some
pointing a clicking at a picture works for them. I on the other hand
would like to use an OS that takes some intelligence and a thought
process. I don't use Linux because it's free, although that is a good
selling point. HAHAHA I use it because it works!!!!!!!!!!

Of course it works. Linux is a knock-off of a 40-year old operating system
designed by a money-losing division of your local telephone company and
enhanced by those who believe that the DOS command-line interface was not
cryptic enough.

At 0.86% of the desktop market, it's got nowhere to go but up.

.... as opposed to an OS that was a knock-off of a couple of other
operating systems of similar vintage, marketed using questionable
tactics into a position of dominance, with nothing really to recommend
it except it was cheap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

evodawg wrote in message 9IBYj.7751$%g.314@trnddc08...
evodawg wrote:

Some of these people should be paying someone good money for info

that has
taken me a lifetime to learn and their getting it for free. Tell me

why I
should be giving this info out for free?

Very interesting replies. Wondering why so many got so defensive? I
was
merely asking a simple question that should have returned a simple
answer.
I have given away many secrets and knowledge on this newsgroup and
this is
the thanks I get. I should have expected this from some but not the
majority of posters. Attacks were uncalled for.
***********

Simple answer...you said it has taken you a lifetime to learn what you
know. Where did you learn it? Obviously, by asking questions of people
who knew more about it than you did at the time, it's called give and
take. You will never know all there is to know about everything in
your lifetime, so hopefully when you come up against a problem you
can't solve, you will ask, and someone will know the answer. You
should be willing to do the same IMO. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 20, 11:00*am, evodawg wrote:
evodawg wrote:
[...]

Please go back and read your original post, paying close attention to
the tone. Make believe you didn't write it and imagine how it might
come across to others.

You state that "some of these people should be paying for the advice
that *I* (only you?) took years to learn." That comes across as pretty
arrogant, considering that you are not the only one giving away free
advice. (BTW - Which "some" should be paying? Do certain people
deserve free advice while others do not?)

I was merely asking a simple question that should have returned a
simple answer

You didn't ask a question, even though you put a question mark at the
end of a line - that was just an incorrect use of punctuation.

"Tell me why I should be giving this info out for free."

"Tell me why” is an order, not a question. Once again, it comes across
as arrogant when you order us to tell you something.

As others have said (please don't get defensive) if you don't want to
give your knowledge away for free, stop responding. No one will fault
you; no one will ask "Hey, what ever happened to evodawg?" Feel free
to open a pay-for-answers site and charge others for your expert
opinions. That is certainly an option and I wish you the best of luck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 May 2008 11:17:41 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

evodawg wrote:

As far as linux goes, and that was not even brought up. I would
rather use an Operating System that actually works! I know for some
pointing a clicking at a picture works for them. I on the other hand
would like to use an OS that takes some intelligence and a thought
process. I don't use Linux because it's free, although that is a good
selling point. HAHAHA I use it because it works!!!!!!!!!!

Of course it works. Linux is a knock-off of a 40-year old operating system
designed by a money-losing division of your local telephone company and
enhanced by those who believe that the DOS command-line interface was not
cryptic enough.

At 0.86% of the desktop market, it's got nowhere to go but up.

You must be referring to Unix.

Several years ago I decided to give Linux a try, on a spare computer.
I found it frustrating to decide which of the hundreds of versions to
try. I finally just picked one, based on the fact they would send a
free CD in the mail, and it was supposed to be one of the easier ones
to use. I attempted to install it, got it 'sort of' installed, but I
found myself puzzled with many things. It was more or less an
operating system that would boot up, but did little more. I began
looking for software to make the thing functional, and soon found that
more often than not, I needed a different version, or no software
existed for a particular need.

Using my MS computer, I went to the linux newsgroups to ask questions.
That's where I found some of the rudest people I have ever met. Rather
than assist with the version I was using, most suggested another
version, and I would end up in the middle of flame wars. It was only
a matter of time before I said "this is bull****", and gave up Linux
forever.

MS is far from perfect, but when I need help, I can go to their
website, and it clearly defines each version, and each one has clear
help files.

If Linux is as great as some people say, how come they have never come
up with a universal version. Why are there several hundred versions,
which are not compatible with each other, and above all, why are the
users so rude, particularly to newcomers? They seem to boast about
their OS, yet when it comes to someone new, they treat them like
trash.

If Linux has 0.86% of the desktop market, it's not likely to go much
higher considering the state of chaos it's in. There's just no
standards, and one needs to be a computer whiz to use the thing.
Maybe that's why this thread started. Linux users seem to be the
least likely to want to help anyone. At least when I have gone to a
Windows newsgroup, there are many people willing to help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

evodawg wrote:

[...]

In those several years, there have been dozens of new releases.
Unlike Windows, it doesn't take 5 years for a new version to be released.

If Linux is as great as some people say, how come they have never come
up with a universal version. Why are there several hundred versions,
which are not compatible with each other,

Because anyone is allowed to create a new version.
If you have special needs, go to distrowatch.com and find
the version that fits your needs.

Otherwise do what the majority are doing, try Ubuntu.

As far as them being incompatible with each other,
you're wrong.

and above all, why are the
users so rude, particularly to newcomers? They seem to boast about
their OS, yet when it comes to someone new, they treat them like
trash.

I can't say, but if you ask for help with the attitude that
Windows does X, why doesn't Linux, you're asking for it.

All the Linux Usenet groups I frequent are very helpful.
But it's Usenet, there's always someone that will be rude.
Posted to alt.home.repair

evodawg wrote:
evodawg wrote:

Some of these people should be paying someone good money for info that has
taken me a lifetime to learn and their getting it for free. Tell me why I
should be giving this info out for free?

Have a NICE DAY! I need to go to work now and get paid for my KNOWLEDGE!!!

There are people who are unable to deal with others on a social level.
Wallflowers, geeks, wierdos, I'm sure you are very well acquainted
with those terms and many others like them.

These people fail to understand the most basic concepts of human
relationships, and for the most part can only find companionship
with a pet rock or a computer.

Classic examples of Darwinian theory. They are unable to reproduce
as the only thing they can find to mate with are their own hands,
which ironically even hate them.

One thing I've found over the years is that truly knowledgeable people
are always willing to share there knowledge with others. It's the
ones who don't have a clue that attempt to impress others with
something that doesn't exist.

So tell us what is the correct way to ask a customer if they would
like fries with their order?

LdB

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/20/2008 2:51 PM Dan Espen spake thus:

writes:

and above all, why are the users so rude, particularly to
newcomers? They seem to boast about their OS, yet when it comes to
someone new, they treat them like trash.

I can't say, but if you ask for help with the attitude that
Windows does X, why doesn't Linux, you're asking for it.

You see, *that* attitude--the one you just expressed--is bull****, and
the reason I also am not the least bit inclined to mess with any flavor
of *nix.

Yes, yes, yes; I know all about how superior it is as an OS, how it
handles multitasking, resource allocation, task separation, security,
etc., etc., correctly, and much better than any version of Windoze.

So ****ing what?

To the AVERAGE HUMAN BEING (not the average computer geek), what matters
is "what can I do with this machine, and how can it be done most
easily?". In other words, a question like the one you posed
above--"Windows does X, why doesn't Linux?"--is actually a reasonable
question to most non-geek users, one to which they might expect a
reasonable answer, not a lot of high-handed computer geek guff.

So, as another reply here said, until they jettison a lot of that
attitude, they're never going to break that 1% barrier.

I hate a lot of things about Micro$oft and Windoze, but you know what?
it serves most of my purposes just fine, and I don't have to spend two
years learning the ins and outs of a new OS just to do the few tasks I
do on my computer.

conversation with the average voter.

- Attributed to Winston Churchill
Posted to alt.home.repair

L D'Bonnie wrote:

So tell us what is the correct way to ask a customer if they would
like fries with their order?

LdB

Think you nailed it.

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Posted to alt.home.repair

writes:

and above all, why are the users so rude, particularly to
newcomers? They seem to boast about their OS, yet when it comes to
someone new, they treat them like trash.

I can't say, but if you ask for help with the attitude that
Windows does X, why doesn't Linux, you're asking for it.

You see, *that* attitude--the one you just expressed--is bull****, and
the reason I also am not the least bit inclined to mess with any
flavor of *nix.

Did I express an attitude?

No, I tried to give gardener some advice about how to avoid
problems on the Linux forums.

Come to the forums and say:

Windows command line commands are case insensitive,
why can't Linux do the same thing?

See what happens.

Whether that is a fair question is beside the point I was
trying to make.

Yes, yes, yes; I know all about how superior it is as an OS, how it
handles multitasking, resource allocation, task separation, security,
etc., etc., correctly, and much better than any version of Windoze.

So ****ing what?

No need to use that kind of language.

None of those points were made by me, and I don't consider them
particularly important.

When you install a Linux distro, you get 100s of programs
that do all kinds of things, (unlike Windows).
And thousands more applications are just a few clicks away.

Most important for me, I can make a Linux system do exactly
what I want.

To the AVERAGE HUMAN BEING (not the average computer geek), what
matters is "what can I do with this machine, and how can it be done
most easily?". In other words, a question like the one you posed
above--"Windows does X, why doesn't Linux?"--is actually a reasonable
question to most non-geek users, one to which they might expect a
reasonable answer, not a lot of high-handed computer geek guff.

So, as another reply here said, until they jettison a lot of that
attitude, they're never going to break that 1% barrier.

Guess what, the people on the forums are not selling Linux.
They don't care.

I don't read any Windows forums, but from your reaction,
it sure looks like a Linux user gets the exact same hostile
reaction from a Windows advocate.

I hate a lot of things about Micro$oft and Windoze, but you know what?
it serves most of my purposes just fine, and I don't have to spend two
years learning the ins and outs of a new OS just to do the few tasks I
do on my computer.

Two years? Don't be ridiculous.
Don't want to learn anything new, fine by me.

I'm not sure what your problem is but if you want to vent,
find the guys that you're mad at.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT: Why Give Advice Here?

wrote:

evodawg wrote:

As far as linux goes, and that was not even brought up. I would
rather use an Operating System that actually works! I know for some
pointing a clicking at a picture works for them. I on the other hand
would like to use an OS that takes some intelligence and a thought
process. I don't use Linux because it's ffiveree, although that is a

good
selling point. HAHAHA I use it because it works!!!!!!!!!!

Of course it works. Linux is a knock-off of a 40-year old operating system
designed by a money-losing division of your local telephone company and
enhanced by those who believe that the DOS command-line interface was not
cryptic enough.

At 0.86% of the desktop market, it's got nowhere to go but up.

I've seen this before from you HeyBub and suspect that you possibly own some
Windows stock.

In a past post here in this group, I brought up using a program
called "Units" by using a command prompt (DOS Prompt to Windows users) in
Linux to find how many teaspoons were in a pint to figure out how many
teaspoons of oil would have to be added to a pint of gas for a 50/1 mixture
for a weed eater question in this group.

The answer was 96 teaspoons are in a pint. The tank only holds about a pint,
so two heaping teaspoons of oil should be all that's required per tankful.
I thought this was a good response to the question at the time.

Your response was the same then, word for word attack on Linux.

But no help from you with the original posters question.

Now to address
.

You must be referring to Unix.

Several years ago I decided to give Linux a try, on a spare computer.
I found it frustrating to decide which of the hundreds of versions to
try. I finally just picked one, based on the fact they would send a
free CD in the mail, and it was supposed to be one of the easier ones
to use. I attempted to install it, got it 'sort of' installed, but I
found myself puzzled with many things. It was more or less an
operating system that would boot up, but did little more. I began
looking for software to make the thing functional, and soon found that
more often than not, I needed a different version, or no software
existed for a particular need.

I'm sorry to hear that.

When I built the first box from scratch I was determined that I would
install Linux and ordered three different distributions from a site that I
found on Google that carried cheap Linux Cd's. I read up using the old
windows box on the differences first, for a first time install.

You are correct that some of the earlier versions were hard and archaic to
install. Not able to understand why the different parts of the system were
on different partitions was just the start.

I turned to news groups also for the distro I was installing and found that
after I explained my problems were due to being a first time installer of
Linux and had to use a windows box to post. It was plain that I wasn't a
troll to the group. The distro was Red Hat and with some patient help they
walked me through the first install.

I don't use Red Hat any more because it is more of a business distribution
now. It was replaced with Fedora. I use Mandriva 2008 Powerpack, both a 32
bit version on an older box and a 64 bit version on the latest box build
now.

Mandriva used to be known as Mandrake but there was copyright problems with
the name. So it was changed also.

I've installed many different distributions over the years and just built
two new 64 bit boxes for my wife and myself.

My wife wanted Windows and I purchased a version of Windows XP just this
month to install for her. She plays games on-line with other folks and the
games are ported to Windows. I refused to go with Vista after reading
reviews. I have XP that came on a laptop and dual boot all boxes and the
laptop so my wife can sit down and use any machine in the house.

Using my MS computer, I went to the linux newsgroups to ask questions.
That's where I found some of the rudest people I have ever met. Rather
than assist with the version I was using, most suggested another
version, and I would end up in the middle of flame wars. It was only
a matter of time before I said "this is bull****", and gave up Linux
forever.

I found that going to the group for the distro that I was installing offered
open help for that distro. I know that you are correct and many are rude
and the only response they offer is "Read the F**king Manual" and suspect
that *they* are short on information and want to be treated as elite
individuals that they are not.

Others will bend over backward to help. Like all groups this one included
that's just the way it is.

MS is far from perfect, but when I need help, I can go to their
website, and it clearly defines each version, and each one has clear
help files.

There are clear help files that come with each distribution just as there is
with Windows but in both cases the operating system must be functional
first to read the files. Go figure!

If Linux is as great as some people say, how come they have never come
up with a universal version. Why are there several hundred versions,
which are not compatible with each other, and above all, why are the
users so rude, particularly to newcomers? They seem to boast about
their OS, yet when it comes to someone new, they treat them like
trash.

The "versions" that I refer to as "distro's" all work the same in the end
and each distro is a collection of different software. Some distro's use
different program installers but even the crudest and possibly the most
stable distro's software is installable on every other distro. You just
have to learn how. The software is backward compatible no matter which
distro you choose unlike many Windows programs with the introduction of
Vista and 64 bit computers.

If Linux has 0.86% of the desktop market, it's not likely to go much
higher considering the state of chaos it's in. There's just no
standards, and one needs to be a computer whiz to use the thing.

Once you get used to using Linux it is not chaotic. I find it much better
organized than Windows and install Windows much the same as Linux is
installed.

I create a small C: partition and only install the operating system on that
partition and name it Windows. Nothing else is installed on this partition.

On linux this partition is called "root" and is designated only with a
forward slash i.e. "/" less the quotes. It is password protected by a
*unique* password that each person chooses when they install Linux. To
install any software you have to know this password. This is the "Kernel"
or core of any system.

This is the first point of security with Linux because to run a virus you
would have to include every possible password guess with a virus for it to
self propagate and spread. Only the administrator could install a virus on
his machine if he was foolish and ignored all the prompts that would pop up
urging not to install this program. Even then it can't spread unless all
program administrators were brain dead.

With Windows I create another partition and put all programs and their
installer folder in each program folder. I name this
partition "D:Programs". Ta-Da!

Linux knows this as "usr" by the way. It can be on the same partition or a
separate partition as root "/" .

I create another partition and put MY Documents and all personal files,
pictures, whatever I don't want lost if I have to reinstall Windows on this
partition. This I name, "E: My Information", partition.

Linux users know this as "Home". It isn't overwritten with a fresh install
when the 2009 version comes out. So my personal information stays intact
year after year.

"If" Windows were ever to crash and the only "possible" solution was to
reinstall the operating system "Windows". Then I only loose the information
and updates and the registry files that each installed program added to the
C: partition.

Linux users usually backtrack here and find what they broke and correct the
problem with help from others that have made the same mistake.

Maybe that's why this thread started. Linux users seem to be the
least likely to want to help anyone. At least when I have gone to a
Windows newsgroup, there are many people willing to help.

In this regard I believe Linux users are more receptive to fellow Linux
users and that is a shame. Much of the best help come from a few of the
best many times though in Linux groups.

I do buy the latest distro every year of Mandriva Powerpack and reinstall
the latest version so my system is only months old as opposed to XP's
years. Maybe Vista won't last very long and those that bought a computer
with Vista may get a newer system before it's years old like XP to replace
a system that reviews offer as plagued with problems.

To all the rest that read this group, Sorry for the rant.

I did mark it Off Topic though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

writes:

[...]

Mac. Unix under the hood, and the best GUI around. Hard to beat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"evodawg" wrote in message

Have a NICE DAY! I need to go to work now and get paid for my KNOWLEDGE!!!

--

I get paid very well for my knowledge. I also get a very nice bonus every
year because the company runs well and make a profit. To do this, I share

Some of the best knowledge I have was gained from others that shared with
me. I, therefore, have no reason not to pass it on to others. From your
writing, my guess is that you have a lot of knowledge, but little wisdom.
Once you learn the difference your attitude may change.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RLM wrote:
Of course it works. Linux is a knock-off of a 40-year old operating
system designed by a money-losing division of your local telephone
company and enhanced by those who believe that the DOS command-line
interface was not cryptic enough.

At 0.86% of the desktop market, it's got nowhere to go but up.

I've seen this before from you HeyBub and suspect that you possibly
own some Windows stock.

Silly person. I do own a barrow-full of Microsoft stock, but that in no way
influences my position.

In a past post here in this group, I brought up using a program
called "Units" by using a command prompt (DOS Prompt to Windows
users) in Linux to find how many teaspoons were in a pint to figure
out how many teaspoons of oil would have to be added to a pint of gas
for a 50/1 mixture for a weed eater question in this group.

The answer was 96 teaspoons are in a pint. The tank only holds about
a pint, so two heaping teaspoons of oil should be all that's required
per tankful. I thought this was a good response to the question at
the time.

Your response was the same then, word for word attack on Linux.

But no help from you with the original posters question.

But had you not inserted Linux into the discussion on teaspoons and motor
oil, I would not have responded. I don't object to Linux when the discussion
is about moles or tar paper or even how many dollops per pint. It may come
as a shock to some, but the number of teaspoons in a pint or rods in a
furlong can be divined without appealing to the Linux god.

In the words of some great worthy, "The only way for Linux to triumph is for
good men to do nothing."

Posted to alt.home.repair

L D'Bonnie wrote:

So tell us what is the correct way to ask a customer if they would
like fries with their order?

"Quisiera usted la comida frita con esto?"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue 20 May 2008 08:08:05a, Tony Hwang told us...

evodawg wrote:
evodawg wrote:

Some of these people should be paying someone good money for info that

has
taken me a lifetime to learn and their getting it for free. Tell me why

should be giving this info out for free?

Hmmm,
Because you may some time need a info for yourself. I am a retired EE
but I never charged some one who is in need of my knowledge and
experinece. Life is to give and take. All my desktops and laptops in the
house are dual boot. Windows and Linux.

And you are representative of the best on this group, Tony. Evodawg is at
the opposite end.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 05(V)/20(XX)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"evodawg" wrote
Some of these people should be paying someone good money for info that has
taken me a lifetime to learn and their getting it for free. Tell me why I
should be giving this info out for free?

You shouldn't.. There are PLENTY of experts already doing it at:

www.allexperts.com

What a great website, and YES, they re giving it away for free..You STAY
HERE and keep holding out for the big bucks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well...kind of ironic you boast about running a free OS that has been
created by the spirit of giving and sharing on the part of hundreds of
programmers who aren't in totally for the money.

We all share when we can since none of us know everything.

Of course maybe YOU do know everything and you wrote every line of
code of the OS you use in which case maybe you can't learn from
others.

On Tue, 20 May 2008 03:47:18 GMT, evodawg wrote:

Some of these people should be paying someone good money for info that has
taken me a lifetime to learn and their getting it for free. Tell me why I
should be giving this info out for free?

"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Posted to alt.home.repair

"evodawg" wrote in message
Some of these people should be paying someone good money for info that has
taken me a lifetime to learn and their getting it for free. Tell me why I
should be giving this info out for free?

Simple, for pure entertainment. Its entertaining to write, its entertaining
to help others. Its entertaining to find out if I am full of it or not.

Unfortunately that's probably why the trolls, flamers, grouches, bullies and
idiots post on Usenet as well.

That lifetime of learning had to come from somewhere, why not a Usenet
newsgroup or a forum. Wisdom kept to ones self is diminished.

OTOH, you shouldn't share trade secrets or patented processes here
particularly if you own them. Most everything in the topic of home
improvement is public domain so you're not saving anything for yourself
anyway. Knowledge is potential value but doing has real value.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 May 2008 03:47:18 GMT, evodawg wrote:

Some of these people should be paying someone good money for info that has
taken me a lifetime to learn and their getting it for free. Tell me why I
should be giving this info out for free?

My grandfather gave me good advice once. Boy! Come down out of that
tree. You're "gonna" fall. Sure as shift I fell out that tree a few
minutes later.

A boss asked me in 1977, what would we do, if there was a prison riot.

He explained: that what he would do, is call on the knowledge /
experience of his staff and execute the policy for emergencies.

Some time I need to talk with people that are best qualified to decide
the merits.

Give it away to keep it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
On Tue, 20 May 2008 03:47:18 GMT, evodawg wrote:

Some of these people should be paying someone good money for info that has
taken me a lifetime to learn and their getting it for free. Tell me why I
should be giving this info out for free?

My grandfather gave me good advice once. Boy! Come down out of that
tree. You're "gonna" fall. Sure as shift I fell out that tree a few
minutes later.

A boss asked me in 1977, what would we do, if there was a prison riot.

He explained: that what he would do, is call on the knowledge /
experience of his staff and execute the policy for emergencies.

Some time I need to talk with people that are best qualified to decide
the merits.

Give it away to keep it.

If I give someone advice on a subject that I know something about but he
doesn't, he may be inclined to post in reply to a query about a subject
that I don't know a whole lot about but he does.

Or, we could all just hoard all that knowledge that we've acquired to
ourselves. But then, how do we acquire it? By doing stuff wrong all
the time until we finally hit on the combination that works? That's an
expensive way to learn.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 22 May 2008 19:15:05 -0400, Nate Nagel
wrote:

Oren wrote:
[...]

I could just throw all my ideas against the wall and then see what
sticks. It makes my head hurt!

The School of Hard Knocks; teaches me not; TO DO that again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

evodawg wrote:

Some of these people should be paying someone
good money for info that has taken me a lifetime
to learn and their getting it for free. Tell me
why I should be giving this info out for free?

It's called voluntary public service. You don't
have to participate unless you want to do so.

Instead of posting here, use that time to find
new clients or service existing clients. It's
up to you.

Dick

Posted to alt.home.repair

evodawg wrote:
Some of these people should be paying someone good money for info that has
taken me a lifetime to learn and their getting it for free. Tell me why I
should be giving this info out for free?

You shouldn't. You're much too good for us.

--
Black candidate endorsed by former Exalted Cyclops and Grand Kleagle of the
KKK! Film not at 11 or any other time... you're not supposed to know this.