Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] gardener4@private.com is offline

Default Why Give Advice Here?

On Tue, 20 May 2008 11:17:41 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

evodawg wrote:

As far as linux goes, and that was not even brought up. I would
rather use an Operating System that actually works! I know for some
pointing a clicking at a picture works for them. I on the other hand
would like to use an OS that takes some intelligence and a thought
process. I don't use Linux because it's free, although that is a good
selling point. HAHAHA I use it because it works!!!!!!!!!!

Of course it works. Linux is a knock-off of a 40-year old operating system
designed by a money-losing division of your local telephone company and
enhanced by those who believe that the DOS command-line interface was not
cryptic enough.

At 0.86% of the desktop market, it's got nowhere to go but up.

You must be referring to Unix.

Several years ago I decided to give Linux a try, on a spare computer.
I found it frustrating to decide which of the hundreds of versions to
try. I finally just picked one, based on the fact they would send a
free CD in the mail, and it was supposed to be one of the easier ones
to use. I attempted to install it, got it 'sort of' installed, but I
found myself puzzled with many things. It was more or less an
operating system that would boot up, but did little more. I began
looking for software to make the thing functional, and soon found that
more often than not, I needed a different version, or no software
existed for a particular need.

Using my MS computer, I went to the linux newsgroups to ask questions.
That's where I found some of the rudest people I have ever met. Rather
than assist with the version I was using, most suggested another
version, and I would end up in the middle of flame wars. It was only
a matter of time before I said "this is bull****", and gave up Linux
forever.

MS is far from perfect, but when I need help, I can go to their
website, and it clearly defines each version, and each one has clear
help files.

If Linux is as great as some people say, how come they have never come
up with a universal version. Why are there several hundred versions,
which are not compatible with each other, and above all, why are the
users so rude, particularly to newcomers? They seem to boast about
their OS, yet when it comes to someone new, they treat them like
trash.

If Linux has 0.86% of the desktop market, it's not likely to go much
higher considering the state of chaos it's in. There's just no
standards, and one needs to be a computer whiz to use the thing.
Maybe that's why this thread started. Linux users seem to be the
least likely to want to help anyone. At least when I have gone to a
Windows newsgroup, there are many people willing to help.