Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Espen Dan Espen is offline

Default Why Give Advice Here?

writes:

On Tue, 20 May 2008 11:17:41 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

evodawg wrote:

As far as linux goes, and that was not even brought up. I would
rather use an Operating System that actually works! I know for some
pointing a clicking at a picture works for them. I on the other hand
would like to use an OS that takes some intelligence and a thought
process. I don't use Linux because it's free, although that is a good
selling point. HAHAHA I use it because it works!!!!!!!!!!

Of course it works. Linux is a knock-off of a 40-year old operating system
designed by a money-losing division of your local telephone company and
enhanced by those who believe that the DOS command-line interface was not
cryptic enough.

At 0.86% of the desktop market, it's got nowhere to go but up.

You must be referring to Unix.

Several years ago I decided to give Linux a try, on a spare computer.
I found it frustrating to decide which of the hundreds of versions to
try.

In those several years, there have been dozens of new releases.
Unlike Windows, it doesn't take 5 years for a new version to be released.

If Linux is as great as some people say, how come they have never come
up with a universal version. Why are there several hundred versions,
which are not compatible with each other,

Because anyone is allowed to create a new version.
If you have special needs, go to distrowatch.com and find
the version that fits your needs.

Otherwise do what the majority are doing, try Ubuntu.

As far as them being incompatible with each other,
you're wrong.

and above all, why are the
users so rude, particularly to newcomers? They seem to boast about
their OS, yet when it comes to someone new, they treat them like
trash.

I can't say, but if you ask for help with the attitude that
Windows does X, why doesn't Linux, you're asking for it.

All the Linux Usenet groups I frequent are very helpful.
But it's Usenet, there's always someone that will be rude.