Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why Give Advice Here?

On 5/20/2008 2:51 PM Dan Espen spake thus:

writes:

and above all, why are the users so rude, particularly to
newcomers? They seem to boast about their OS, yet when it comes to
someone new, they treat them like trash.

I can't say, but if you ask for help with the attitude that
Windows does X, why doesn't Linux, you're asking for it.

You see, *that* attitude--the one you just expressed--is bull****, and
the reason I also am not the least bit inclined to mess with any flavor
of *nix.

Yes, yes, yes; I know all about how superior it is as an OS, how it
handles multitasking, resource allocation, task separation, security,
etc., etc., correctly, and much better than any version of Windoze.

So ****ing what?

To the AVERAGE HUMAN BEING (not the average computer geek), what matters
is "what can I do with this machine, and how can it be done most
easily?". In other words, a question like the one you posed
above--"Windows does X, why doesn't Linux?"--is actually a reasonable
question to most non-geek users, one to which they might expect a
reasonable answer, not a lot of high-handed computer geek guff.

So, as another reply here said, until they jettison a lot of that
attitude, they're never going to break that 1% barrier.

I hate a lot of things about Micro$oft and Windoze, but you know what?
it serves most of my purposes just fine, and I don't have to spend two
years learning the ins and outs of a new OS just to do the few tasks I
do on my computer.

conversation with the average voter.

- Attributed to Winston Churchill