Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT..... Fuel Efficient Vehicle Recommendations

Hi;

I have an 2006 vehicle with a V-6 in it that only gets about 18 MPG in
the city. I
don't do a whole lot of highway driving and have put 16,000 miles on
it over the last year. I am thinking about trading it for something
more practical. I am looking for something less than $20k with an
automatic trans that gets 30+ mpg.

Any recommendations as to what I should check?

Thanks
Pat
Posted to alt.home.repair

komobu wrote:
Hi;

I have an 2006 vehicle with a V-6 in it that only gets about 18 MPG in
the city. I
don't do a whole lot of highway driving and have put 16,000 miles on
it over the last year. I am thinking about trading it for something
more practical. I am looking for something less than $20k with an
automatic trans that gets 30+ mpg.

Any recommendations as to what I should check?

Thanks
Pat

It's hard to go wrong with a Volkswagen with a TDI, but I'd strongly
recommend learning to drive a stickshift if you are interested in best
economy.

Hybrids are an appealing technology, but they still haven't managed to
build one with a clear economy advantage over the tried-and-true
turbodiesel, and the extra complexity seems to me to be more stuff to break.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 4, 2:31*pm, komobu wrote:
Hi;

I have an 2006 vehicle with a V-6 in it that only gets about 18 MPG in
the city. I
don't do a whole lot of highway driving and have put 16,000 miles on
it over the last year. I am thinking about trading it for something
more practical. I am looking for something less than $20k with an
automatic trans that gets 30+ mpg.

Any recommendations as to what I should check?

Thanks
Pat

30+ city limits you to something like a Corolla or a Hybrid, a Ford
Escape SUV hybrid might do 34 city, or a Camry, but I dont know prices
Posted to alt.home.repair

komobu wrote:
Hi;

I have an 2006 vehicle with a V-6 in it that only gets about 18 MPG in
the city. I
don't do a whole lot of highway driving and have put 16,000 miles on
it over the last year. I am thinking about trading it for something
more practical. I am looking for something less than $20k with an
automatic trans that gets 30+ mpg.

Any recommendations as to what I should check?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_(automobile)

Any good?

We do not have the deisel ones imported to the UK, otherwise I would have
one.

My deisel Focus does 52 mpg (UK).

Posted to alt.home.repair

Clot wrote:
komobu wrote:

Hi;

I have an 2006 vehicle with a V-6 in it that only gets about 18 MPG in
the city. I
don't do a whole lot of highway driving and have put 16,000 miles on
it over the last year. I am thinking about trading it for something
more practical. I am looking for something less than $20k with an
automatic trans that gets 30+ mpg.

Any recommendations as to what I should check?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_(automobile)

Any good?

We do not have the deisel ones imported to the UK, otherwise I would have
one.

My deisel Focus does 52 mpg (UK).

The US versions don't get the Diesel engine either, and the gasoline
ones get astonishingly average fuel economy.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 4, 3:31 pm, komobu wrote:
I am looking for something less than $20k with an
automatic trans that gets 30+ mpg.

If comfort isn't an issue it's hard to beat an old 3 cylinder Geo
Metro. I averaged 52mpg and it didn't matter if it was city or
busting ass on the highway at 90mph.

Of course that was all at altitudes of 3500ft.+.

Man, I loved that little disposable POS, it would go practically
anywhere. If I coulda got out of it to take a picture, I woulda.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
Clot wrote:
komobu wrote:

Hi;

I have an 2006 vehicle with a V-6 in it that only gets about 18 MPG
in the city. I
don't do a whole lot of highway driving and have put 16,000 miles on
it over the last year. I am thinking about trading it for something
more practical. I am looking for something less than $20k with an
automatic trans that gets 30+ mpg.

Any recommendations as to what I should check?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_(automobile)

Any good?

We do not have the deisel ones imported to the UK, otherwise I would
have one.

My deisel Focus does 52 mpg (UK).

The US versions don't get the Diesel engine either, and the gasoline
ones get astonishingly average fuel economy.

We're talking Smart rather than Focus? It would suit us fine to have one of
them in the drzive to go town; kids have sort off flown and we don't need a
truck to get to town. Current motors - 306 Hatchback, 206cc(d), Focus 1.8d
and an A35 four door. Now the last might get you Googling!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Clot wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:

Clot wrote:

komobu wrote:

[...]

Yes, I'm referring to the Smart - the fortwo coupe is rated at 33/41 MPG
by the EPA (I just looked it up.) Compare and contrast with a Focus at
24/35 or a 2006 Jetta TDI at 30/37 (and the last for some reason seems
to be consistently less than the mileage that people experience in the
real world.)

Given that the Smart is too new in this market to evaluate as to whether
the EPA estimates are accurate or pessimistic, and the TDI consistently
is reported as turning between 40 and 50 MPG on the highway, I don't see
the point, unless you either live in a city and the small size is an
advantage to you, or you just want to make a fashion statement.

I do understand that the Smart versions sold in Europe may be a good bit
more efficient.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

On Sun, 04 May 2008 12:58:17 -0700, ransley wrote:

On May 4, 2:31Â*pm, komobu wrote:
Hi;

I have an 2006 vehicle with a V-6 in it that only gets about 18 MPG in
the city. I
don't do a whole lot of highway driving and have put 16,000 miles on it
over the last year. I am thinking about trading it for something more
practical. I am looking for something less than $20k with an automatic
trans that gets 30+ mpg.

Any recommendations as to what I should check?

Thanks
Pat

30+ city limits you to something like a Corolla or a Hybrid, a Ford
Escape SUV hybrid might do 34 city, or a Camry, but I dont know prices

Pat needs to consider the total cost per mile. While going from 19 mpg
to 30+ mpg is appealing not factoring in the extra costs of the new
vehicle including higher insurance would be a mistake.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
Clot wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:

Clot wrote:

komobu wrote:

[...]

To me there are a couple of attractions to the Four2 D - economy and size.
European cities are generally on a smaller scale than US cities and getting
a slot is much easier in one of these. For our local needs these days, this
model would be great for us. My wife doesn't like taking the 206cc into town
to be dinted, I don't need to take a 4 door these days.

But the petrol one does not really stack up for us getting over 50 mpg (UK)
from our motors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

komobu wrote:
Hi;

I have an 2006 vehicle with a V-6 in it that only gets about 18 MPG in
the city. I
don't do a whole lot of highway driving and have put 16,000 miles on
it over the last year. I am thinking about trading it for something
more practical. I am looking for something less than $20k with an
automatic trans that gets 30+ mpg.

Any recommendations as to what I should check?

"In Berkeley, the price of gas nudges four dollars a gallon, and the
citizenry rush out en masse to buy Priuses. But in the desert state of
Rajasthan [India], it's camels that are flying off the lot.

"So says the Financial Times, in an amusing, albeit
disturbing-if-you-think-too-much-about-it, story by Jo Johnson, "Camel
demand up as oil price soars."

http://www.salon.com/tech/htww/2008/...amel_comeback/

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think Ford Focus is under 10K with automatic, air and CD. Should get
over 30 mpg city easily.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Ashton Crusher wrote:
On Sun, 4 May 2008 12:31:43 -0700 (PDT), komobu
wrote:

Hi;

I have an 2006 vehicle with a V-6 in it that only gets about 18 MPG in
the city. I
don't do a whole lot of highway driving and have put 16,000 miles on
it over the last year. I am thinking about trading it for something
more practical. I am looking for something less than $20k with an
automatic trans that gets 30+ mpg.

Any recommendations as to what I should check?

Thanks
Pat

My dad has a 3 year old Pontiac Vibe (badge engineered, it's a Toyota
Matrix). Its automatic with the base 4-cyl and he gets around 30+
around town.

I rented a Chevy Aveo and I got around the same, 30 more or less, I
didn't check it but one time and mostly it was on the freeway at high
speed. They were advertising new ones here for $11,000. I assume
they had no options. My dad paid $14,000 for the Vibe. The current
new Vibe is a redesigned model.

Earlier this spring, I paid $3300 for a used Saturn SL2. I'm getting 29mpg
city and 34 highway.