Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sean Inglis

Default Multi-fuel stove recommendations

Hi,

I'm looking to have a couple of multi-fuel cast-iron stoves fitted in
plenty of time for the winter.

I'm looking for a standalone cast iron stove for one room, to replace the
stove the previous owners took with them, and a "cassette" style stove for
another, to place in the current open fireplace.

Any recommendations on particular stoves and, just as importantly, someone
who would undertake this work in the Matlock area?

I imagine one of the chimneys is already lined to an appropriate standard
(although I can stick a torch up there and check if I knew what to look
for), but I guess that the other will need suitable preparation.

I quite like the look of this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=4467793387

particularly the angled side-windows, but it seems cheap compared to
others, and I can't find much in the way of references to it.

Not much choice as far as inset stoves are concerned, but this looks the
part:

http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/wood_b...ert-stove.html

I'd say we have a budget of 1,500 - 2,000 or so for both. Does this seem
realistic if we factor in labour etc, or hopelessly optimistic?

Thanks

Sean
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Top brands are Jotul and Morso, heavy iron castings - and it's the
quality of those castings that can't so easily be detected, but is
essential for longevity.

About £600 for base models, so would be tight on your budget unless
chimneys already have liners and are ready to go.