Rft080554

Default Solid Fuel Stove Installation

Hi Folks

Just need tocheck out the requirments for installing solid fuel stove. Large
room currently with high ceilings @12 foot. Large fireplace with gas fire
insitu. the house is a turn of the century house with ground and two further
floor. So chimney is 40 - 50 foot up approx. I have been told that I will need
to have gas fir removed (OK) then smoke test performed to see patency of
chimney and flu. Also if it is not already so lined then the chimnet will have
to be lined with ? Not aluminium and that the lining will cost @ £40 per meter.
All this before I even think about installing the stove. then what clearance
does there have to be from the fire to the front of the hearth and also finally
what output might be required from the fire. It has been suggested 8kw for the
size of room. Does this seem right? the room is about 24 X 20 feet.

Any thoughts anyone?

Cheers
Rob Taylor
Southport
Andy Farrall

It is my understanding that a solid fuel stove must be installed by a HETAS
approved installer or the installation must have building regulations
approval.

As far as lining is concerned - it seems that most stove installers suggest
that the chimney must be lined which im sure is just another way of making
money from you. If the chimney is sound and free from leaks I dont believe
there is any requirement to have it lined although it may preform better if
it is. If you decide to go down the route of metal chimney liners it must
be a double skinned type - I think they are made of stainless steel. These
can be purchased for around £15-25 a metre*, maybe the £40/m includes
installation. Bear in mind that stainless stell liners have a limited life
and this will be greatly reduced if you burn anything other than seasoned
wood and coal - ie general rubbish. There are other forms of liner which
have a greater life span but will be more expensive and probably require
some bricks to be temporarily removed from the chimney breast.

For the measurements that you require consult the current building regs
which can be obtained he

http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/grou...contentservert
emplate/odpm_index.hcst?n=277&l=3

*http://www.fluesystems.com/liners/in...mney_liner.htm