The Pistoleer

Default Vehicle for transporting 4 x 8 ply, etc.

A pickup with a cap works just as well.

Tarp would work also, but be sure to raise the plywood a bit with some scrap
lumber to prevent the bottom frm getting wet.

Pete
http://www.Pistoleer.com - Retail & Wholesale (PH/FX 618-288-4588)
A-Zoom snap-caps, Bore-Stores cases, Kleen-Bore gun care products
Pachmayr grips & pads, Targets, HKS speedloaders, FREE classifieds

And when you want to haul plywood home when its raining you get a
Suburban or Yukon XL - it will easily handle 4x8' sheets of plywood in
the back with the door closed.

Stephanie and Tim

I've got that harbor freight trailer. If you catch it on sale, you can get
it for 199.

The "stake" sides are strictly a DIY deal. The trailer comes with 8 little
metal doo-dads that you bolt to the frame, and you can insert a 2x4 into it.
The design of the sides is entirely up to you. I've got some made of
plywood and of twoby.
It's rated for 990 pounds (must be a number intended to get around
regulations somewhere) and is probably the best two bills I've ever spent.
We use it for hauling building materials, my buddy borrows it once in a
while for his motorcycle, etc.

"Dan Musicant" wrote in message
On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 15:11:22 GMT, Patrick Fitzgerald
wrote:

:"Grant P. Beagles" wrote in
ERCIAL:
:
: I have seen small utility trailers that fold in half. There are small
: castors that let you roll it into a corner of the garage.
:
:Harbor Freight sells one for $229:
:
:http://tinyurl.com/fq9k
:http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=42709
:
:I was looking into getting a used pickup, but it seemed like you had to

pay
:too much to get decent quality. Ended up getting a used Subaru Legacy
:Outback wagon for $8k - I can slide full sheets of plywood into the back,
:then strap the hatchback down, works great.
:
:-fitz

That trailer looks fine for 4x8 plywood but what about bulky stuff -
compostables, big rocks and stuff. It says at Harbor Freight that it
doesn't come with stakes but will accommodate stakes. What do the stakes
do? To haul a lot of stuff you would need fences and a gate.

Dan

Ron Magen

Mike,
I find your story very interesting.

Just about every 'Borg-type' store sells them {from the small ones to some
really big ones}, and even has assembled models on display. Although they
are more prevalent during the warmer months, they usually have big sales as
winter approaches, probably because they don't want to store the assembled
units. I got mine at a local HD. Came in 2 or 3 boxes. A leisurely afternoon
to assemble. Not even a raised eyebrow when I took the obviously Chinese
paperwork to have it registered.

My only 'guess' about what happened to you is that there are no 'local'
Trailer Dealers, in the area. There 'may' have been one in your 'case'. A
'little whisper' in the ear of a friend in the State Police, and your boss
gets a visit. IF there was no 'Cease & Desist' paperwork involved, then it
most definitely was 'bogus'.

Of course this was Virginia . . . where you can get as swacked as you want
sitting at the bar in a restaurant, but it is illegal for YOU to CARRY your
glass of wine from the bar to YOUR table !!

Regards,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

"Silvan" wrote in message
SNIP
We used to sell probably exactly the same trailer at Wal-Mart years back.

SNIP
Anyway, we sold dozens of them until we sold one to a Virginia state

Trooper

Silvan

Ron Magen wrote:

My only 'guess' about what happened to you is that there are no 'local'
Trailer Dealers, in the area. There 'may' have been one in your 'case'. A
'little whisper' in the ear of a friend in the State Police, and your boss
gets a visit. IF there was no 'Cease & Desist' paperwork involved, then it
most definitely was 'bogus'.

It most definitely wasn't bogus. I have no way to prove that, but it didn't
look like mere good ol' boy back scratching to me.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
Confirmed post number: 17219 Approximate word count: 516570

Fred the Red Shirt

"Stephanie and Tim" wrote in message .. .
I've got that harbor freight trailer. If you catch it on sale, you can get
it for 199.

The "stake" sides are strictly a DIY deal. The trailer comes with 8 little
metal doo-dads that you bolt to the frame, and you can insert a 2x4 into it.
The design of the sides is entirely up to you. I've got some made of
plywood and of twoby.

They sell a kit for stake sides:

Also a version with 12: tires instead of 8":

And a non-folding version with 12" tires and leaf spring suspension:

I wonder where these are made?

--

FF

CW

So, where do you live, California?

"Silvan" wrote in message
Stephanie and Tim wrote:

I've got that harbor freight trailer. If you catch it on sale, you can
get it for 199.

It's rated for 990 pounds (must be a number intended to get around
regulations somewhere) and is probably the best two bills I've ever

spent.

We used to sell probably exactly the same trailer at Wal-Mart years back.
Sold quite a lot of them. I remember how tricky it was to unload a

flatbed
full of the things with a forklift that didn't really have enough reach to
do the job properly. Never did drop one, but there were some close
calls...

Anyway, we sold dozens of them until we sold one to a Virginia state

Trooper
who seemed quite happy to get such a good deal on the thing to haul his
Harley. We talked for a bit.

A few days later, I had to summon the store manager to come talk to the

nice
(different) man in uniform. He told the boss that if he didn't cease and
desist selling them immediately, he was going to jail for selling "motor
vehicles" without a license. I figure either the Trooper got home and got
to scratching his head, or else told some coworkers, or else it was all
part of some sting operation. No telling.

Evidently, since they're road worthy, they fall into the same category as
automobiles and mobile homes, and dealers have to have some sort of

special
license in order to handle them. There *are* things Wal-Mart can't sell.

I think we sold the remaining trailers to Harbor Freight.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
Confirmed post number: 17215 Approximate word count: 516450

Silvan

Rico wrote:

That sounds more like an East Coast fascist thing. Since he
said he was in the Virginia, that's another clue.

I said it was a Virginia state Trooper, which I suppose _could_ have been
interpreted incorrectly...

Yes, I live in Virginia.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
Confirmed post number: 17227 Approximate word count: 516810

Ron Magen

FWIW -
I just returned from a 'jaunt' from the Philly suburbs to Havre de Grace,
MD, and return. I was towing the 'El Cheapo' trailer I got from HD about 3
years ago. This was the FIRST time I had it on the road since I put it
together.

Went down empty and returned with a 16 foot Dory. {not bad for an 8 foot
'bed' trailer}. Those 'little donut' tires were really spinning !! {Your
*advised* to do no more than 50mph, but that '95 Rodeo got up to 70 a time
or two . . . easy with people passing you like your standing still !!}.

About all I could see was about 2 inches of the license plate; ALL the
time - she tracked like she was on rails!! This is VERY good, since when I
got down there {remember, I said this was the FIRST trip}, it was pointed
out that I had lost one lug nut and the other three were almost off !! - I
THINK I'LL PLAY TOMORROWS LOTTERY !!!

Coming back, it was basically the same thing. She bounced around a bit; the
boat was very light and about 6 feet was hanging off the back, so almost no
tongue weight. In addition, this same 'lightness' added to the 'bounce' -
the trailer is rated for about 1,000 pounds, so with almost no weight they
are quite STIFF. {I screwed down a couple of full-width 'cleats' and
'spread' some foam 'pipe insulators' over them to reduce bottom slippage}

All in all a nice trip. Despite MY errors {should have checked & tightened
the nuts when I checked the hub temperature - about 30 minutes from start}I
STILL think this type of trailer is a GOOD buy. The gentleman who owned the
Dory thought so as well. He questioned me about it to some length. He's seen
them at HD, and *thinks* there is a Harbor Freight outlet somewhere around
Baltimore.

Regards,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop
{PS - the boat trailer I'll be getting shortly, also rated at about 1,000
pounds will have the 'optional' 12 inch tires}