Posted to alt.home.repair
clot clot is offline

Default OT..... Fuel Efficient Vehicle Recommendations

Nate Nagel wrote:
Clot wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:

Clot wrote:

komobu wrote:

Hi;

I have an 2006 vehicle with a V-6 in it that only gets about 18
MPG in the city. I
don't do a whole lot of highway driving and have put 16,000 miles
on it over the last year. I am thinking about trading it for
something more practical. I am looking for something less than
$20k with an automatic trans that gets 30+ mpg.

Any recommendations as to what I should check?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_(automobile)

Any good?

We do not have the deisel ones imported to the UK, otherwise I
would have one.

My deisel Focus does 52 mpg (UK).

The US versions don't get the Diesel engine either, and the gasoline
ones get astonishingly average fuel economy.

We're talking Smart rather than Focus? It would suit us fine to have
one of them in the drzive to go town; kids have sort off flown and
we don't need a truck to get to town. Current motors - 306
Hatchback, 206cc(d), Focus 1.8d and an A35 four door. Now the last
might get you Googling!

Yes, I'm referring to the Smart - the fortwo coupe is rated at 33/41
MPG by the EPA (I just looked it up.) Compare and contrast with a
Focus at 24/35 or a 2006 Jetta TDI at 30/37 (and the last for some
reason seems to be consistently less than the mileage that people
experience in the real world.)

Given that the Smart is too new in this market to evaluate as to
whether the EPA estimates are accurate or pessimistic, and the TDI
consistently is reported as turning between 40 and 50 MPG on the
highway, I don't see the point, unless you either live in a city and
the small size is an advantage to you, or you just want to make a
fashion statement.
I do understand that the Smart versions sold in Europe may be a good
bit more efficient.

To me there are a couple of attractions to the Four2 D - economy and size.
European cities are generally on a smaller scale than US cities and getting
a slot is much easier in one of these. For our local needs these days, this
model would be great for us. My wife doesn't like taking the 206cc into town
to be dinted, I don't need to take a 4 door these days.

But the petrol one does not really stack up for us getting over 50 mpg (UK)
from our motors.