Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default OT..... Fuel Efficient Vehicle Recommendations

Clot wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:

Clot wrote:

komobu wrote:

Hi;

I have an 2006 vehicle with a V-6 in it that only gets about 18 MPG
in the city. I
don't do a whole lot of highway driving and have put 16,000 miles on
it over the last year. I am thinking about trading it for something
more practical. I am looking for something less than $20k with an
automatic trans that gets 30+ mpg.

Any recommendations as to what I should check?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_(automobile)

Any good?

We do not have the deisel ones imported to the UK, otherwise I would
have one.

My deisel Focus does 52 mpg (UK).

The US versions don't get the Diesel engine either, and the gasoline
ones get astonishingly average fuel economy.

We're talking Smart rather than Focus? It would suit us fine to have one of
them in the drzive to go town; kids have sort off flown and we don't need a
truck to get to town. Current motors - 306 Hatchback, 206cc(d), Focus 1.8d
and an A35 four door. Now the last might get you Googling!

Yes, I'm referring to the Smart - the fortwo coupe is rated at 33/41 MPG
by the EPA (I just looked it up.) Compare and contrast with a Focus at
24/35 or a 2006 Jetta TDI at 30/37 (and the last for some reason seems
to be consistently less than the mileage that people experience in the
real world.)

Given that the Smart is too new in this market to evaluate as to whether
the EPA estimates are accurate or pessimistic, and the TDI consistently
is reported as turning between 40 and 50 MPG on the highway, I don't see
the point, unless you either live in a city and the small size is an
advantage to you, or you just want to make a fashion statement.

I do understand that the Smart versions sold in Europe may be a good bit
more efficient.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.