Posted to alt.home.repair
Joy Joy is offline

Default Source of reasonably priced cabinet knobs and pulls?

I would like to replace the knobs and pulls on my cabinets and drawers but
the local hardware stores seem SO expensive. $4.00 for one brass pull?
Sheesh!

I would like decent hardware but am not sure what makes one material
better than another and would appreciate some advice and comments.

Also, does anyone know of a reliable place with a decent selection I could
order on the web that would be cheaper than the big chain hardware stores?

Thanks so much!

Joy
Posted to alt.home.repair

Joy wrote:
I would like to replace the knobs and pulls on my cabinets and drawers
but the local hardware stores seem SO expensive. $4.00 for one brass
pull? Sheesh!

I would like decent hardware but am not sure what makes one material
better than another and would appreciate some advice and comments.

Also, does anyone know of a reliable place with a decent selection I
could order on the web that would be cheaper than the big chain
hardware stores?

Thanks so much!

Joy

Hi,
4.00 is epxpensive? Let's hear what should it cost then?
My gosh!
Posted to alt.home.repair
Una Una is offline

For low cost brass, you might get lucky in a ReStore (Habitat for
Humanity thrift shop) or on a local freecycle group. Or use some
other, less expensive material.

Una

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 02:19:52 GMT, Joy wrote:

I would like to replace the knobs and pulls on my cabinets and drawers but
the local hardware stores seem SO expensive. $4.00 for one brass pull?
Sheesh!

I would like decent hardware but am not sure what makes one material
better than another and would appreciate some advice and comments.

Also, does anyone know of a reliable place with a decent selection I could
order on the web that would be cheaper than the big chain hardware stores?

Thanks so much!

Joy

You can try www.woodworkershardware.com

They have some good (and expensive) stuff, but also have some
economically priced lines. But if you have your heart set on solid
brass, $4 is going to seem like a bargain.

HTH,

Paul Franklin

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue 29 Apr 2008 07:19:52p, Joy told us...

I would like to replace the knobs and pulls on my cabinets and drawers
but the local hardware stores seem SO expensive. $4.00 for one brass
pull? Sheesh!

I would like decent hardware but am not sure what makes one material
better than another and would appreciate some advice and comments.

Also, does anyone know of a reliable place with a decent selection I
could order on the web that would be cheaper than the big chain
hardware stores?

Thanks so much!

Joy

Solid brass hardware is never cheap. I would consider $4.00 fairly
inexpensive for brass. There are a lot of materials to consider, so
perhaps you should look further to see what else might appeal to you.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 04(IV)/29(XXIX)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Paul Franklin wrote:
On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 02:19:52 GMT, Joy wrote:

I would like to replace the knobs and pulls on my cabinets and
drawers but the local hardware stores seem SO expensive. $4.00 for
one brass pull? Sheesh!

I would like decent hardware but am not sure what makes one material
better than another and would appreciate some advice and comments.

Also, does anyone know of a reliable place with a decent selection I
could order on the web that would be cheaper than the big chain
hardware stores?

Thanks so much!

Joy

You can try www.woodworkershardware.com

An excellent source but (to OP) request a catalog...much easier to flip thru
pages than to browse via web.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Try your local habitat for humanity re store.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 02:19:52 GMT, Joy wrote:

I would like to replace the knobs and pulls on my cabinets and drawers but
the local hardware stores seem SO expensive. $4.00 for one brass pull?
Sheesh!

I would like decent hardware but am not sure what makes one material
better than another and would appreciate some advice and comments.

Get whatever the Mrs. likes. If she doesn't care, get the cheapest
ones you like. Then if you decide to change them 3 yrs from now it
won't hurt so bad.

Also, does anyone know of a reliable place with a decent selection I could
order on the web that would be cheaper than the big chain hardware stores?

http://www.leevalley.com/ Great hardware & tools. Decent prices.
Great service. The catalogs are coffee table books with soft
covers.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

dadiOH wrote:
Paul Franklin wrote:

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 02:19:52 GMT, Joy wrote:

I would like to replace the knobs and pulls on my cabinets and
drawers but the local hardware stores seem SO expensive. $4.00 for
one brass pull? Sheesh!

I would like decent hardware but am not sure what makes one material
better than another and would appreciate some advice and comments.

Also, does anyone know of a reliable place with a decent selection I
could order on the web that would be cheaper than the big chain
hardware stores?

Thanks so much!

Joy

You can try www.woodworkershardware.com

An excellent source but (to OP) request a catalog...much easier to flip thru
pages than to browse via web.

Another place is Lee Valley.
leevalley.com
As above, asking for a catalog is a good idea. Not all items can be
found on their web site.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Get whatever the Mrs. likes.

Just a WAG here, based on the name, but I think the OP *is* the Mrs.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joy Joy is offline

Default Source of reasonably priced cabinet knobs and pulls? NOT brass

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 22:19:52 -0400, Joy wrote:

I would like to replace the knobs and pulls on my cabinets and drawers
but the local hardware stores seem SO expensive. $4.00 for one brass
pull? Sheesh!

I would like decent hardware but am not sure what makes one material
better than another and would appreciate some advice and comments.

Also, does anyone know of a reliable place with a decent selection I
could order on the web that would be cheaper than the big chain hardware
stores?

Thanks so much!

Joy

Thanks for the references to www.woodworkershardware.com and leevalley.com.

I didn't mean to infer I was looking for brass. Actually, I'm looking more
for a satin nickel finish. The $4.00 reference to the brass pull was just
my comment on how expensive some pulls can be.

So... anyone know about the satin nickel or brushed aluminum type
finishes? I don't know what these would be made of or how the finishes are
protected or hold up.

Sorry for misleading you about the brass!

Joy
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Joy wrote:

[...]

I don't know how this urban legend that brass is some sort of exotic
material got started. Anyway, the amount of material in a cabinet pull
is negligible compared to the other costs. But if an item costs $4 on
the store shelf, the manufacturing cost was no more than $1.

Brushed aluminum would be made of aluminum. Nickel plated hardware could
be made of aluminum or brass, then plated with nickel. If it's done
properly, nickel plate will hold up forever in an environment like a
kitchen.

Personally, I like white porcelain for cabinet pulls.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 29, 9:19*pm, Joy wrote:
I would like to replace the knobs and pulls on my cabinets and drawers but *
the local hardware stores seem SO expensive. $4.00 for one brass pull? *
Sheesh!

I would like decent hardware but am not sure what makes one material *
better than another and would appreciate some advice and comments.

Also, does anyone know of a reliable place with a decent selection I could *
order on the web that would be cheaper than the big chain hardware stores?

Thanks so much!

Joy

Did you try menards or hd , I went white for about 1$
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joy" wrote

I would like to replace the knobs and pulls on my cabinets and drawers but
the local hardware stores seem SO expensive. $4.00 for one brass pull?
Sheesh!

http://www.coolknobsandpulls.com/cab...dget_Line.html

Joy, thats not far off what they run but here's a link to budget knobs,
where many are 1.75$

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 02:19:52 GMT, Joy wrote:

I would like to replace the knobs and pulls on my cabinets and drawers but
the local hardware stores seem SO expensive. $4.00 for one brass pull?
Sheesh!

I would like decent hardware but am not sure what makes one material
better than another and would appreciate some advice and comments.

If you are talking about solid brass, $4.00 IS a very reasonable
price. Solid brass or bronze will look great and will last longer
than you will. Cheapie pulls and handles will be brass plated onto
pot metal or plastic. These are much more prone to discoloration, and
plastic ones will eventually break.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bill" wrote

I would like to replace the knobs and pulls on my cabinets and drawers but
the local hardware stores seem SO expensive. $4.00 for one brass pull?

If you are talking about solid brass, $4.00 IS a very reasonable
price. Solid brass or bronze will look great and will last longer
than you will. Cheapie pulls and handles will be brass plated onto
pot metal or plastic. These are much more prone to discoloration, and
plastic ones will eventually break.

She came back later that she didnt mean to make it brass specific. Agreed
on the plastic ones. I kinda like ceramic (though they too can break).

I have been eyeing some new ones for my kitchen too. A cheap way to spiffy
up the looks. That and i need to redo the wallpaper (ancient and has
patches missing due to renters).