Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Source of reasonably priced cabinet knobs and pulls? NOT brass

In article ,
Joy wrote:

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 22:19:52 -0400, Joy wrote:

I would like to replace the knobs and pulls on my cabinets and drawers
but the local hardware stores seem SO expensive. $4.00 for one brass
pull? Sheesh!

I would like decent hardware but am not sure what makes one material
better than another and would appreciate some advice and comments.

Also, does anyone know of a reliable place with a decent selection I
could order on the web that would be cheaper than the big chain hardware
stores?

Thanks so much!

Joy

Thanks for the references to www.woodworkershardware.com and leevalley.com.

I didn't mean to infer I was looking for brass. Actually, I'm looking more
for a satin nickel finish. The $4.00 reference to the brass pull was just
my comment on how expensive some pulls can be.

So... anyone know about the satin nickel or brushed aluminum type
finishes? I don't know what these would be made of or how the finishes are
protected or hold up.

Sorry for misleading you about the brass!

Joy

I don't know how this urban legend that brass is some sort of exotic
material got started. Anyway, the amount of material in a cabinet pull
is negligible compared to the other costs. But if an item costs $4 on
the store shelf, the manufacturing cost was no more than $1.

Brushed aluminum would be made of aluminum. Nickel plated hardware could
be made of aluminum or brass, then plated with nickel. If it's done
properly, nickel plate will hold up forever in an environment like a
kitchen.

Personally, I like white porcelain for cabinet pulls.