Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drywall ceiling - basement

Hello there, I am putting in a drywalled ceiling in my basement. I
had to use 5/8" drywall as fire-blocking between the stud wall and
foundation, but planned on using 1/2" drywall for the actual main
ceiling since my joists are close enough together to allow that.
However, I read on this forum that 5/8" rock might be required for
fire protection for the main ceiling, by code. Since I am doing this
with the proper inspections, can anyone shed light on this? Is it in
the national building codes, or is this a one-off requirement of some
jurisdictions? Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Since your doing it the right way, with inspections, just call and ask your
inspector before you do the job, It will take 5 minutes and it's the only
safe and foolproof way to avoid a BIG problem later on when the inspector
shows up.
What's in the code is important, but not nearly as important as what the
inspector thinks is in the code :-)

--
Mikey S.
wrote in message
Hello there, I am putting in a drywalled ceiling in my basement. I
had to use 5/8" drywall as fire-blocking between the stud wall and
foundation, but planned on using 1/2" drywall for the actual main
ceiling since my joists are close enough together to allow that.
However, I read on this forum that 5/8" rock might be required for
fire protection for the main ceiling, by code. Since I am doing this
with the proper inspections, can anyone shed light on this? Is it in
the national building codes, or is this a one-off requirement of some
jurisdictions? Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Hello there, I am putting in a drywalled ceiling in my basement. I
had to use 5/8" drywall as fire-blocking between the stud wall and
foundation, but planned on using 1/2" drywall for the actual main
ceiling since my joists are close enough together to allow that.
However, I read on this forum that 5/8" rock might be required for
fire protection for the main ceiling, by code. Since I am doing this
with the proper inspections, can anyone shed light on this? Is it in
the national building codes, or is this a one-off requirement of some
jurisdictions? Thanks.

I can't answer that question, but I'm wondering something else. Will you be
installing some sort of easy access for working on pipes and maybe
electrical junction boxes?

Posted to alt.home.repair
a a is offline

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
wrote in message
Hello there, I am putting in a drywalled ceiling in my basement. I
had to use 5/8" drywall as fire-blocking between the stud wall and
foundation, but planned on using 1/2" drywall for the actual main
ceiling since my joists are close enough together to allow that.
However, I read on this forum that 5/8" rock might be required for
fire protection for the main ceiling, by code. Since I am doing this
with the proper inspections, can anyone shed light on this? Is it in
the national building codes, or is this a one-off requirement of some
jurisdictions? Thanks.

I can't answer that question, but I'm wondering something else. Will you be
installing some sort of easy access for working on pipes and maybe
electrical junction boxes?

You've never seen a finished basement before?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"a" wrote in message news:8j6lj.10315$vp3.8134@edtnps90...
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
wrote in message
Hello there, I am putting in a drywalled ceiling in my basement. I
had to use 5/8" drywall as fire-blocking between the stud wall and
foundation, but planned on using 1/2" drywall for the actual main
ceiling since my joists are close enough together to allow that.
However, I read on this forum that 5/8" rock might be required for
fire protection for the main ceiling, by code. Since I am doing this
with the proper inspections, can anyone shed light on this? Is it in
the national building codes, or is this a one-off requirement of some
jurisdictions? Thanks.

I can't answer that question, but I'm wondering something else. Will you
be installing some sort of easy access for working on pipes and maybe
electrical junction boxes?

You've never seen a finished basement before?

Of course I have. Why do you ask?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 21, 11:11*am, wrote:
Hello there, I am putting in a drywalled ceiling in my basement. *I
had to use 5/8" drywall as fire-blocking between the stud wall and
foundation, but planned on using 1/2" drywall for the actual main
ceiling since my joists are close enough together to allow that.
However, I read on this forum that 5/8" rock might be required for
fire protection for the main ceiling, by code. *Since I am doing this
with the proper inspections, can anyone shed light on this? *Is it in
the national building codes, or is this a one-off requirement of some
jurisdictions? *Thanks.

In chicago 5/8 fire code X is required, there are other types of 5/8
but HD carries Fire Code X here. Call the building dept. Do it wrong
and they will make you remove it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 17:18:10 GMT, "Mikey S." wrote:

Since your doing it the right way, with inspections, just call and ask your
inspector before you do the job, It will take 5 minutes and it's the only
safe and foolproof way to avoid a BIG problem later on when the inspector
shows up.
What's in the code is important, but not nearly as important as what the
inspector thinks is in the code :-)

I don't believe the inspector would argue about 5/8 inch rock on the
ceiling.

Oren
Posted to alt.home.repair

Online copy of the NJ Building Code states that "Gypsum board shall be
permitted to be used on wood joists to create a horizontal diaphragm
ceiling in accordance with table 2508.5" which then states that 1/2"
Gypsum board used on framing members of 16" o.c. provides 90 plf shear
value, and on 24" o.c. provides 70 plf shear value when used with 1
5/8" wall borad nails or 1 1/4" type S or W screws.

The fire-resistance rated section of the code is simply too confusing
to understand, but they wouldn't have conflicting requirements in the
code book, would they?
Posted to alt.home.repair

a wrote:
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
wrote in message
Hello there, I am putting in a drywalled ceiling in my basement. I
had to use 5/8" drywall as fire-blocking between the stud wall and
foundation, but planned on using 1/2" drywall for the actual main
ceiling since my joists are close enough together to allow that.
However, I read on this forum that 5/8" rock might be required for
fire protection for the main ceiling, by code. Since I am doing this
with the proper inspections, can anyone shed light on this? Is it in
the national building codes, or is this a one-off requirement of some
jurisdictions? Thanks.

I can't answer that question, but I'm wondering something else. Will
you be installing some sort of easy access for working on pipes and
maybe electrical junction boxes?

You've never seen a finished basement before?

It's taken a long time but I finally realized that people only
learn from their own mistakes. Letem' drywall the ceiling. Anyone
that dumb or cheap isn't going to listen to any sort of reason.

I always got a kick at the look on their faces when I told them
to rip her down.

LdB
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken Ken is offline

On Jan 21, 12:50*pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
wrote in message

Hello there, I am putting in a drywalled ceiling in my basement. *I
had to use 5/8" drywall as fire-blocking between the stud wall and
foundation, but planned on using 1/2" drywall for the actual main
ceiling since my joists are close enough together to allow that.
However, I read on this forum that 5/8" rock might be required for
fire protection for the main ceiling, by code. *Since I am doing this
with the proper inspections, can anyone shed light on this? *Is it in
the national building codes, or is this a one-off requirement of some
jurisdictions? *Thanks.

I can't answer that question, but I'm wondering something else. Will you be
installing some sort of easy access for working on pipes and maybe
electrical junction boxes?

Joe brings up an important point, you can't block off access for a
number of things. One is electrical junction boxes. Another would be
water and/or gas shutoffs. I'm not a plumber, but I think if you have
compression fittings on water supply pipes they must remain
accessible. And there are probably other things that you can't block
access to.

Most people use a dropped ceiling in finished basements for just these
reasons. If you drywall the ceiling you need to put in the
appropriate access panels. Even if you put in the appropriate access
panels, future work supplying utilities to the upstairs becomes more
complicated if you put in drywall. For example, adding an electrical
outlet on the first floor is a piece of cake if you have access in the
basement. With drywall on the ceiling, all of a sudden it becomes a
big job with a lot of ripped out drywall.

Ken

Posted to alt.home.repair

No, but they might argue about the 1/2 inch, or if he used the correctly
rated 5/8.
Best to just ask first

--
Mikey S.
"Oren" wrote in message

I don't believe the inspector would argue about 5/8 inch rock on the
ceiling.

Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Hello there, I am putting in a drywalled ceiling in my basement. I

Unless there's a particular reason to do it, don't do it. I had to rip out
the drywalled basement ceiling in the previous house to re-route a cable TV
wire. The wire went where it should have, the drywall too - to the dump.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Ok, I have a call into the building/fire safety inspector. I know
that's the only way to get the particular answer that matters to me, I
was just hoping to get a quick feel for what people thought. On
another note, I don't get why everyone seems to be so against
drywalling the ceiling in the basement. I KNOW it makes access to
wires/pipes/ducts more difficult, but I am putting in access panels
where all my valves are, and I wired my basement so that all junction
boxes are on the walls, where I will bring them to the surface and
have them accessible. But overall, I think the look of a drywalled
ceiling is so much more worth it than a dropped ceiling, which looks
very commercial and industrial to me. Some people like it, my wife
and I do not. Even if I had to tear out entire panels of drywall to
run some new wires, I can always put other panels back up, and to me
its worth the look, and I've planned this over several months, so that
I don't forsee having to do that for many years. It has nothing to do
with being dumb or cheap. I know all the pros and cons, and I choose
to drywall. I want a clean, livable space, not a dank basement-y look
that I feel dropped ceilings give. Sorry if that upsets some of you,
but you don't have to flame me for my thoughts. ON the other hand,
thanks to those of you who actually helped answer my questions.

If you truly have access panels to get to all electrical connections,
valves, etc. you should be in compliance with the codes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In case anyone was wondering, or for future reference in case anyone
in the future is *stupid* enough to install a drywall ceiling, my
building inspector in New Jersey said that 1/2" sheetrock for the main
ceiling is fine. They only require 5/8" for the firestopping between
the stud wall and foundation since a fire can spread very quickly
behind the wall since the studs provide fuel, and go all the way up to
the joists.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 22, 12:03�pm, wrote:
On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 18:06:07 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

. �But overall, I think the look of a drywalled
ceiling is so much more worth it than a dropped ceiling, which looks
very commercial and industrial to me. �Some people like it, my wife
and I do not. �

And, from my experience, you and your wife are among the vast
majority. �

I do a couple of dozen basement developments a year. � Haven't done
one with a suspened ceiling for almost ten years. � �Don't know anyone
who has. �

Generally we move the plumbing and gas shut offs into the furnace room
... in most new houses, they're there already. �

As to "junction boxes" ... there shouldn't be any. �

Ken �

you arent around for the troubles when the whatever buried in the
cieling has failed....

its nasty and can add lots of expense to a otherwise easily fixed
problem
Posted to alt.home.repair

you arent around for the troubles when the whatever buried in the
cieling has failed....

its nasty and can add lots of expense to a otherwise easily fixed
problem

I take it you have no electricity or plumbing on the main floor or second
floor?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Calab" wrote in message news:Z7ulj.90$ez.41@pd7urf2no...
you arent around for the troubles when the whatever buried in the
cieling has failed....

its nasty and can add lots of expense to a otherwise easily fixed
problem

I take it you have no electricity or plumbing on the main floor or second
floor?

That question makes absolutely NO sense.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 22, 8:41*am, wrote:
In case anyone was wondering, or for future reference in case anyone
in the future is *stupid* enough to install a drywall ceiling, my
building inspector in New Jersey said that 1/2" sheetrock for the main
ceiling is fine. *They only require 5/8" for the firestopping between
the stud wall and foundation since a fire can spread very quickly
behind the wall since the studs provide fuel, and go all the way up to
the joists.

you are lucky we just spent 9000.00 on 5x8" because of city code
Posted to alt.home.repair
a a is offline

ransley wrote:
On Jan 22, 8:41 am, wrote:
In case anyone was wondering, or for future reference in case anyone
in the future is *stupid* enough to install a drywall ceiling, my
building inspector in New Jersey said that 1/2" sheetrock for the main
ceiling is fine. They only require 5/8" for the firestopping between
the stud wall and foundation since a fire can spread very quickly
behind the wall since the studs provide fuel, and go all the way up to
the joists.

you are lucky we just spent 9000.00 on 5x8" because of city code

Holy crap! Big basement? That's over 550 panels of 4*8 where I live...

(I assume you meant 5/8 and not 5*8)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"a" wrote in message news:Uqulj.23657$yQ1.8768@edtnps89...
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
wrote:

[...]

WTF do you think is in my rec-room ceiling that will "fail"?

Some of us mentioned the possible problems because wet sheetrock is NOT
FUNNY. Although it might be as likely as being hit by lightning, pipes to
develop leaks. You may have heard of this. Or not.

...and the number of pipes above my rec room is the square root of f-all.

And you mentioned this in your original message.

Oh wait. No, you didn't.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
wrote:

[...]

So what do those with suspended ceilings do? Launder the panels?

Replace them very easily.

Very cheap too. Because they look like ****. That's why you want to
drywall

Posted to alt.home.repair

Very cheap too. �Because they look like ****. �That's why you want to
drywall-

all depends on what breaks and how much colateral damage it does.

just running a tv cable can be a real PIA with a finished cieling,
that leads to surface mounted stuff........

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You should read all the messages in a discussion before jumping into it. I
never said dropped ceilings were visually appealing, nor did I suggest that
the OP use dropped ceilings for his project. I asked if he planned to
install access hatches in certain places. They're easy to build. Lots of
houses have them for the attic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I am dead set against drywalling a basement ceiling. I put in my $.02
a while back and figured that was enough. Should have elaborated.

I spent 38 years employed in a business involved in installing and
changing equipment. I worked in just about any sort of residence or
business that you can imagine, from tar paper shacks to brand new
multi mega dollar arenas.

I don't even want to think of how many changes I've seen during those
years, not only in my line of work, but in all of the trades. When
I retired I was working on equipment that would have qualified as
science fiction back in the 60's

There is just NO WAY to predict what will available or required in the
future. It is simply wisest to leave your options open.

One thing that did not change and quite likely will never change
is Murphy's Law.

I don't want to think how many time Murphy and I crossed paths over
the years.

LdB

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 17:26:24 -0600, L D'Bonnie wrote:

One thing that did not change and quite likely will never change
is Murphy's Law.

I don't want to think how many time Murphy and I crossed paths over
the years.

'It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into
account Hofstadter's Law.'

Oren
Posted to alt.home.repair

Not looking to fan the flames, but I was under the impression that 5/8"
drywall was recommended for ceilings as it was less likley than 1/2 to sag.

In the situation described below are the studwalls erected a distance out
from the foundation? Otherwise I'm not sure I understand the requirement.

wrote in message
In case anyone was wondering, or for future reference in case anyone
in the future is *stupid* enough to install a drywall ceiling, my
building inspector in New Jersey said that 1/2" sheetrock for the main
ceiling is fine. They only require 5/8" for the firestopping between
the stud wall and foundation since a fire can spread very quickly
behind the wall since the studs provide fuel, and go all the way up to
the joists.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff wrote:
Not looking to fan the flames, but I was under the impression that 5/8"
drywall was recommended for ceilings as it was less likley than 1/2 to sag.

In the situation described below are the studwalls erected a distance out
from the foundation? Otherwise I'm not sure I understand the requirement.

When I built my place it was 5/8" or a low sag 1\2" drywall
for 24" center trusses. 1\2" was ok for trusses on 16" centers.

I used 1\2" low sag drywall on 24" center trusses. No sag anywhere
that I can see.

LdB