Posted to alt.home.repair
boden boden is offline

Default Drywall ceiling - basement

wrote:
Ok, I have a call into the building/fire safety inspector. I know
that's the only way to get the particular answer that matters to me, I
was just hoping to get a quick feel for what people thought. On
another note, I don't get why everyone seems to be so against
drywalling the ceiling in the basement. I KNOW it makes access to
wires/pipes/ducts more difficult, but I am putting in access panels
where all my valves are, and I wired my basement so that all junction
boxes are on the walls, where I will bring them to the surface and
have them accessible. But overall, I think the look of a drywalled
ceiling is so much more worth it than a dropped ceiling, which looks
very commercial and industrial to me. Some people like it, my wife
and I do not. Even if I had to tear out entire panels of drywall to
run some new wires, I can always put other panels back up, and to me
its worth the look, and I've planned this over several months, so that
I don't forsee having to do that for many years. It has nothing to do
with being dumb or cheap. I know all the pros and cons, and I choose
to drywall. I want a clean, livable space, not a dank basement-y look
that I feel dropped ceilings give. Sorry if that upsets some of you,
but you don't have to flame me for my thoughts. ON the other hand,
thanks to those of you who actually helped answer my questions.

If you truly have access panels to get to all electrical connections,
valves, etc. you should be in compliance with the codes.